Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2014 6:28:32 PM EDT
All you guys who are on the fence about picking up a SAIGA rifle better get one NOW!
POTUS Zero just banned them from import.

http://modernrifleman.net/2014/07/16/concern-kalashnikov-izhmash-added-to-russian-sanctions-list/

So get one fast or forever be stuck in mini 14 land ( until you escape from NY)

Sorry, I could not hotlink from my phone.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Wonder what the price will be in the morning!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wonder what the price will be in the morning!
View Quote

Wholesale prices jumped over $100 as soon as it made the press.  Wholesaler stocks are now depleted.  I expect retail to be over $700 and some neckbeard gunbroker auctions over $1k.  I sold all my stock a couple months ago for $550 each.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#3]
And then a new exporter will take over and Saigas will be available again.   They aren't blocking Saigas, they are blocking the exporter.  Well, there are dozens of major exporters in Russia.  Simple- they will send them via another exporter.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:20:19 AM EDT
[#4]
http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/OFAC-Enforcement/Pages/20140716.aspx

Looks like they are banning any goods made by Izmash

KALASHNIKOV CONCERN (a.k.a. CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; a.k.a. IZHEVSKIY MASHINOSTROITEL'NYI ZAVOD OAO; f.k.a. IZHMASH R&D CENTER; f.k.a. JSC NPO IZHMASH; f.k.a. NPO IZHMASH OAO; a.k.a. OJSC CONCERN KALASHNIKOV; f.k.a. OJSC IZHMASH; f.k.a. SCIENTIFIC PRODUCTION ASSOCIATION IZHMASH JOINT STOCK COMPANY), 3, Derjabin Pr., Izhevsk, Udmurt Republic 426006, Russia; Registration ID 1111832003018 [UKRAINE2].
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:39:05 AM EDT
[#5]
There goes one of the best unSAFE complaint rifles.

Holding out hope for Ares
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:15:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 10:49:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Aimless is correct ,,,again
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Shit-metal guns.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Got mine  

I have heard they will take AK mags if you file down the magazine catch on the mag, I don't know how common 10 round ak mags are.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mine  

I have heard they will take AK mags if you file down the magazine catch on the mag, I don't know how common 10 round ak mags are.

On some, AK mags just snap right in on others you have to file a bit, but you have to install a feed ramp (a small piece of 3/4" black pipe cut down the middle mounted with a screw works fine) in the receiver for them to feed rounds properly.
But honestly, if you are in NY & limited to 10 rounds the factory stock Saiga polymer mags are practically bullet proof !
They make p mags look like garbage!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:31:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:02:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Herb Phillipsons in Herkimer has about 60 7.62X39 in stock according to the managers there I overheard today.  They were commenting that they are the most stocked type of rifle they have and they thought they should be putting them on sale.lol

Price was $550 but while I was there they got orders from the mother ship to raise the price so they remarked them all $599 effective today.  I assume the other Herb Phillipsons are similarly stocked.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:05:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have about a half dozen mags, I was just bringing it up in case mags are not available in the future. I did not know about the feed ramp though  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mine  

On some, AK mags just snap right in on others you have to file a bit, but you have to install a feed ramp (a small piece of 3/4" black pipe cut down the middle mounted with a screw works fine) in the receiver for them to feed rounds properly.
But honestly, if you are in NY & limited to 10 rounds the factory stock Saiga polymer mags are practically bullet proof !
They make p mags look like garbage!
I have about a half dozen mags, I was just bringing it up in case mags are not available in the future. I did not know about the feed ramp though  

http://www.carolinashooterssupply.com/product_p/css-bguide-7.62-round.htm

Be aware 992 compliance then comes into play when you install that.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
About 2.5-3 yars ago I had the chance to buy a NIB 7.62X39 one for ~350 out the door.

I'm an idiot, lol.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
About 2.5-3 yars ago I had the chance to buy a NIB 7.62X39 one for ~350 out the door.

I'm an idiot, lol.
View Quote

in 2002-2003 CDNN investments was selling them in .223, .308 & 7.62x39 for $150, the shotguns were a few bucks more.
Funny thing was the price was low because no one was buying them!
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Does anyone in here actually by this for a second? Russian sanctions?

Ha!

Backdoor ban, brothers. Stem the flow of the people's defense
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Does anyone in here actually by this for a second? Russian sanctions?
Ha!
Backdoor ban, brothers. Stem the flow of the people's defense
View Quote

He's using it as an excuse to get away with it that's why. Picked the perfect opportunity.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not trying to be a dick...but has anyone ever been tried on 992c compliance on anything other than an add on charge?

Curious more than anything else, I think that's something hardly anyone probably cares about in the grand scheme...

Not saying you shouldn't be aware...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:51:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not trying to be a dick...but has anyone ever been tried on 992c compliance on anything other than an add on charge?

Curious more than anything else, I think that's something hardly anyone probably cares about in the grand scheme...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have they? Yes.

Is it something everyone should worry about? I duno, depends.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:59:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told by more than 1 FFL that 922r compliance was for importers & dealers not individuals, I did not believe it was worth taking the chance & I always made sure anything I owned was 922r compliant. But I've never heard of anyone getting jammed up over it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:04:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, with the ban in place, how difficult would it be for someone to just install a similar stock/trigger linkage on an AK receiver? Maybe even sell conversion kits to general public in ban states. Anyone wants to start a company?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Well, with the ban in place, how difficult would it be for someone to just install a similar stock/trigger linkage on an AK receiver? Maybe even sell conversion kits to general public in ban states. Anyone wants to start a company?
View Quote

OR just build them here in the US.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Got mine  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine  

and add the bullet guide on the trunion.  AK mags are cheap, was able to pick up some for $13 ea in Walworth.  Cheaper and easier to find than Saiga mags.  Carolina Shooter's Supply has the bullet guide kits.

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 6:47:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Got mine  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mine  

I have 2 different Saigas.  If the going price gets stupid high, I'll most likely sell them.  EDIT:  And yes, they do accept regular AK mags by filing down the mag catch.  But, on the older imports at least, some of them them required a bullet guide, too.

Arsenal makes a 10 rounder that from what I hear, is great.  K-Var had them for a little over $20 last time I knew.  Tapco also makes a 10rd mag that gets good reviews.  Pretty cheap, too.  Like $10.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Bullet guide is an easy install; trunnion cuts like butter.  Dinzag sells a kit with everything you need:

http://www.dinzagarms.com/saiga_762x39/saiga_762x39.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:13:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have 2 different Saigas.  If the going price gets stupid high, I'll most likely sell them.  EDIT:  And yes, they do accept regular AK mags by filing down the mag catch.  But, on the older imports at least, some of them them required a bullet guide, too.

Arsenal makes a 10 rounder that from what I hear, is great.  K-Var had them for a little over $20 last time I knew.  Tapco also makes a 10rd mag that gets good reviews.  Pretty cheap, too.  Like $10.
View Quote

Saigas are Izmash AK's, with a few extra holes and parts to block out the install of standard AK components. The only part not standard for AK's is the barrel trunnion, it requires a bullet guide for feeding from standard AK mags. Some of the trunnions are already milled for bullet guides, called flat trunnions, some are not, called round trunnions.

My two conversions, one 5.56 for use with E. German Weiger mags and one 5.45, I went through a PITA process to rivet and fit the bullet guides, weld up the receivers and finish them. I'd get them out for pics except they're in OH. I even had an 07 FFL cut the barrels down, pin standard Bulgarian 24mm front against the gas blocks, permanently pin and weld Bulgy muzzle brakes to the barrel for a full 16"- they were fucking laser beams out to 100 yards (as far as I ever shot them). and the 80 yards or so at Otisco, I was plugging clay pigeons off the hill, open sights, off-hand.

I also have a 16" 5.45 Vepr and an unmodified 7.62x39 Saiga I'm going to sell when the panic takes hold. And lots of Russian 5.45 milsurp 7n6. This shit might put me through grad school.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Bullet guide is an easy install; trunnion cuts like butter.  Dinzag sells a kit with everything you need:

View Quote

I never went the Dinzag route since it required modifying the magazines for the bullet guide; also I had endless problems with feeding, so I tore apart the rifles and riveted in standard AK bullet guides.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:33:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Saigas are Izmash AK's, with a few extra holes and parts to block out the install of standard AK components. The only part not standard for AK's is the barrel trunnion, it requires a bullet guide for feeding from standard AK mags. Some of the trunnions are already milled for bullet guides, called flat trunnions, some are not, called round trunnions.

My two conversions, one 5.56 for use with E. German Weiger mags and one 5.45, I went through a PITA process to rivet and fit the bullet guides, weld up the receivers and finish them. I'd get them out for pics except they're in OH. I even had an 07 FFL cut the barrels down, pin standard Bulgarian 24mm front against the gas blocks, permanently pin and weld Bulgy muzzle brakes to the barrel for a full 16"- they were fucking laser beams out to 100 yards (as far as I ever shot them). and the 80 yards or so at Otisco, I was plugging clay pigeons off the hill, open sights, off-hand.

I also have a 16" 5.45 Vepr and an unmodified 7.62x39 Saiga I'm going to sell when the panic takes hold. And lots of Russian 5.45 milsurp 7n6. This shit might put me through grad school.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I was a member of the Saiga forums before I signed up here.  I've done numerous conversions on x39 Saigas and one on an S12.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I never went the Dinzag route since it required modifying the magazines for the bullet guide; also I had endless problems with feeding, so I tore apart the rifles and riveted in standard AK bullet guides.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got a bullet guide from him for one conversion I did.  The only mag that required modding was the factory 10rder it came with.  Had to file off some of the front lip because it was hitting the guide.

Regular AK mags fit fine with no mods.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:00:23 PM EDT
[#31]
I've also done many Saiga conversions, I had to move all of them out of NY thanks to SAFE.
The conversions were easy, It is more difficult to unconvert them
Last year I actually unconverted a .223 so it would be NY LEGAL, what a PITA!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Why is it so difficult to unconvert one? Other than mentally, of course.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remembering how all the NON STANDARD FCG parts installed ( all Saiga fcg are not the same) + re-drilling all the welded over holes (I had to use another stock rifle to make a template) + the long rivets in the rear were hard to come by, I had to improvise.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Remembering how all the NON STANDARD FCG parts install + re-drilling all the welded over holes (I had to use another stock rifle to make a template) + the long rivets in the rear were hard to come by, I had to improvise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remembering how all the NON STANDARD FCG parts install + re-drilling all the welded over holes (I had to use another stock rifle to make a template) + the long rivets in the rear were hard to come by, I had to improvise.

The dealbreaker for me is that I threw out all of the factory FCG parts long ago.

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:37:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The dealbreaker for me is that I threw out all of the factory FCG parts long ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could just remove the Pistol Grip & rivet a plate over the hole, it would be uncomfortable to shoot like that but it will make it legal until you escape from NY, then you can convert it back when you get to free America!
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 2:43:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You could just remove the Pistol Grip & rivet a plate over the hole, it would be uncomfortable to shoot like that but it will make it legal until you escape from NY, then you can convert it back when you get to free America!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah.  But that's too much work, considering how long it's been since I even shot them.  Just sold off a bunch of AK mags here.  Slowly transitioning out of the AK game.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got mine  

Even the new ones need it.  Though mine only failed to feed properly on the last round.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Even the new ones need it.  Though mine only failed to feed properly on the last round.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got mine  

Yeah, I wasn't sure.  For some reason, I thought the new imports didn't need it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top