Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2014 3:23:09 PM EDT
Specifically...how is "revocable at any time" and "good cause" constitutional?

So a judge could deny you your RIGHT (Heller, Mcdonald) to own a handgun, or confiscate all your handguns...if you, say, sneeze in the wrong direction?

Or a judge could deny you your right to own a handgun if they didn't feel "target shooting" was a good cause?

How have we not won a lawsuit against this yet?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
N.Y does not follow that old piece of paper.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:33:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you forget what state you live in? The word you are looking for is corrupt, not constitutional.

"Big Tim" Sullivan was a Tammany Hall hack, who gave real meaning to the term "crooked politician."

Sullivan was born in 1863 at 25 Baxter Street, one of the worse slums buildings in New York City. The squalor was so intense at 25 Baxter Street, in 1866 a New York Times article called it one of the "filthiest tenements in the city."

Sullivan's parents had just immigrated from County Kerry, Ireland, and with them being so poor, he was thrust out in the streets at the age of eight to shine shoes and sell newspapers. Being the enterprising lad that he was, Sullivan soon saved up enough cash to start his own newspaper delivery business. He employed dozens of poor kids from the neighborhood to do his deliveries, and soon Sullivan was the owner of four local bars, the first of which he opened on Christie Street, just east of the Bowery. One of Sullivan's bar customers was Thomas "Fatty" Walsh, a notorious ward leader in Tammany Hall. Sullivan fell under Walsh's political wing, and in 1894, Sullivan was elected to the Third District's State Assembly.

In a few short years, Sullivan became a big cog in Tammany Hall's corrupt wheel and soon he was appointed District Leader of the entire Lower East Side. That was like giving the key to the candy store to an especially bad kid. Sullivan bridged the gap between public service and the common street thuggery, by recruiting infamous gang leaders like Paul Kelly and Monk Eastman to do his dirty work, which included "voter influence" at election sites, which basically meant their gangs beat up voters who didn't exactly see things Sullivan's way.

In return for using his influence to keep gangsters out of jail, Sullivan got a piece of all the illegal activities in the Lower East Side, including prostitution, gambling, loan sharking and extortion. To keep things looking on the up-and-up, Sullivan also entrenched himself in many legal endeavors, including becoming partners in the MGM and Loews cinema operations.

Sullivan did introduce a couple of key pieces of legislation, like one in 1896 that made boxing legal, only to see it made illegal again in 1900, because of several deaths in the ring. Sullivan also passed the dubious "Sullivan Act" in 1911, which made it illegal to carry guns, unless you could afford a hefty registration fee. Needless to say, Sullivan's murderous cronies made so much illegal dough, they all were able to cough up the cash needed to carry guns legally, in order to enforce their illegal activities.

In 1911, Sullivan's evil ways finally caught up with him. He contracted syphilis, probably in one of the many prostitution houses he had a piece of, and he suddenly became paranoid and delusional. He was judged mentally incompetent and removed from his senate seat. In 1912, his family placed him in a mental institution, which only made his condition worse.

In 1913, while the guards were playing cards, Sullivan escaped from the sanitarium. This was a fatal mistake. Less than a day later, his body was found near the railroad tracks in Pelham Parkway. For some reason, his body was not claimed, so the city declared him a vagrant, to be shamefully interred in Potter's Field. A police officer at the morgue finally recognized his body and Big Tim was given a proper send-off, with 25,000 people attending his funeral ceremony at Old St. Patrick's Cathedral on north Mulberry Street near Houston Street.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/5365647
View Quote

http://ezinearticles.com/?American-Mobsters---Big-Tim-Sullivan&id=5365647

This is what we have been unable to successfully challenge. A bill authored by a corrupt disgraced mentally incompetent person.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you forget what state you live in?
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I just think that after Heller and McDonald...your right to own a handgun is absolutely not "revocable at any time."

And having to show "good cause" just to own a handgun is just arbitrary. Even if some form of "good cause" is OK with SCOTUS or the courts...What is acceptable to list as your good cause? Target shooting? Defense? Collecting? Nothing in NYS law spells it out.

I know that those reasons DO qualify most or all people to get a pistol permit in NY...but who says a judge can't just make his "good cause" requirement "you must be able to lift a 3 ton truck above your head" ?

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
So you're saying if we move to America... we can enjoy the benefits of the Heller and McDonald rulings.

eta: I'm making jokes because I'm completely fed up. I don't know what the answer is.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, Heller emboldened the left, it didn't stop it dead in their tracks.

They think since Scalia said you can have some restrictions that they can ban almost anything they want in the name of public safety (unSAFE)

Until SCOTUS steps up and says in clear terms what you can and can not ban this will continue. I am not sure that will happen anytime soon.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
And while we are at it...can someone ask Skretny HOW the HELL features that make a gun safer and more comfortable to shoot can be banned? Or magazines over ten rounds that make it easier to defend yourself?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
And while we are at it...can someone ask Skretny HOW the HELL features that make a gun safer and more comfortable to shoot can be banned? Or magazines over ten rounds that make it easier to defend yourself?
View Quote

Skretny is a hack. His whole opinion was lazy and intellectually weak.

Just go look in the mirror and say to yourself over and over "for the public safety" until you believe it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:04:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Forget him, how about the CA2 who said you can be "may issue" because "We do not arm people in case of imaginary confrontation".

Suffolk PLB will tell you that you get a 3 day notice before rape/robbed/killed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:50:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just go look in the mirror and say to yourself over and over "for the public safety" until you believe it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think he tried to play Soloman.....and was lazy and threw a "bone" to each side.  For us it was tantamount to say it was ok to put the tip in the anus but not up to the balls.   We're still F'd.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think he tried to play Soloman.....and was lazy and threw a "bone" to each side.  For us it was tantamount to say it was ok to put the tip in the anus but not up to the balls.   We're still F'd.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not a funny situation but the way you worded that made me crack up
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#12]
It's not, the State knows it's not, but they do not give a shit about your rights. The Constitution has NO bearing in a state in which the machinations of the government are purely for the retention of power by the incumbents. The 9th circuit bitch slapped California and it applies just as directly to NY but they won't change a word until they personally lose a challenge in SCOTUS.

FWIW I write this from a recon in SC and am loving it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that you see isn't the truth behind the act: The Judge did us a huge favor that will come to light in the next steps of the NYSRPA suit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

All that you see isn't the truth behind the act: The Judge did us a huge favor that will come to light in the next steps of the NYSRPA suit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe you are referring to how Skretny admitted that ARs and AKs and other so called AWs are in fact "in common usage."

Right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Skretny is a hack lackey. His whole "opinion" was lazy and intellectually weak given to him by his puppeteers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Skretny is a hack lackey. His whole "opinion" was lazy and intellectually weak given to him by his puppeteers.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish I shared your optimism....I keep hearing that familiar refrain..."Oh, its a blessing in disguise, it will really help us in the next step..." except the whole system is crooked and rigged...

I fear all is lost....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We shall see. Personally, I am done hoping.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I wish I shared your optimism....I keep hearing that familiar refrain..."Oh, its a blessing in disguise, it will really help us in the next step..." except the whole system is crooked and rigged...

I fear all is lost....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear all is lost....

Although I have little hope...The Calguns people were saying that for years and being ridiculed for it..."it's chess not checkers" they kept saying as they lost more and more Concealed Carry / Open Carry rights...

Now look where they are...SHALL issue CCW for the entire 9th circuit.

There is some slight hope...but it will take a while...and it is definitely not guaranteed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Has anyone ever sued NY about the constitutionality of requiring a permit to merely own a pistol as opposed to carry one (i.e. what this thread is actually about)?  As far as I know, no one has. Isn't it about time? I don't know of any other state that requires a permit to merely own a handgun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever sued NY about the constitutionality of requiring a permit to merely own a pistol as opposed to carry one (i.e. what this thread is actually about)?  As far as I know, no one has. Isn't it about time? I don't know of any other state that requires a permit to merely own a handgun.
View Quote

Supposedly Shooter (the Tresmond affiliated lawyer over on the NYF forum) is starting a lawsuit against the Sullivan Act soon...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I am curious about this from a historical perspective,pre Heller, Incorporation etc.  There had to be opposition to it when passed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're saying the 2nd Circuit is going to use the "common use" statement by Skretny to make a ruling in our favor?

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You're saying the 2nd Circuit is going to use the "common use" statement by Skretny to make a ruling in our favor?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If they don't, they will either have to admit they are common use but can still be banned, or they will have to say they are not in common use. Either way, if it gets to the SCOTUS it will be interesting. Who knows if it will get there.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If they don't, they will either have to admit they are common use but can still be banned, or they will have to say they are not in common use. Either way, if it gets to the SCOTUS it will be interesting. Who knows if it will get there.
View Quote

They won't do anything of the sort. They can simply make a statement that the 2A isn't an absolute and that Scalia said it isn't license to carry any gun, any where. They will then apply the DISSENTING opinions 2-step rational-basis-in-disguise to say "Look, we're right.".
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:35:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Although I have little hope...The Calguns people were saying that for years and being ridiculed for it..."it's chess not checkers" they kept saying as they lost more and more Concealed Carry / Open Carry rights...

There is some slight hope...but it will take a while...and it is definitely not guaranteed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fear all is lost....

I think we are right & will win in court, the commies know they are wrong & cannot win.
What the commie/marxist/Leninist can  do (and have been doing) is ignore any rulings they do not like & get away with it; this is a very bad signal as it shows they feel they are powerful enough to ignore the courts, This means an attempt at FULL BLOWN "get in the cattle car for a ride to the reeducation camp" TYRANNY is close at hand.
Now, if we, The American People, let them get away with it or not is a completely different story!
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#26]
I have always maintained that regardless of how SCOTUS rules or what pro-2A federal laws are passed, New York will never comply.  They have figured out that there is no real downside to the state not complying.  Just look at the state refusing to honor transport of handguns through airports where the owner is legal on both ends.  The federal government can sue, people can file New York State Civil Rights suits (don't remember that "section" number) and the only "losers" will be the taxpayers that have to foot the bill.  If the feds withhold funds, the state raises taxes.  The only grip the feds really have on the states is the ability to withhold money.  Unless state politicians and bureaucrats start getting assessed lengthy sentences and shipped off to federal prisons for being in contempt of court or willfully violating federal law, they will continue to do what they want to do and pass the bill to the masses.  The other problem is that depending upon the person in the White House, you may not have a cooperative Attorney General willing to file charges against a state.  AG Holder is more than willing to help New York State violate HIPAA and look the other way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top