Posted: 4/19/2014 1:42:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In person or by shipping it?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably the safest and easiest way would be to have a Long Island based FFL do it for you. Then you can take advantage of USPS priority to ship your handguns  (only avaliable for FFLs) which is a cost savings over the methods FedEx and UPS require for an individual to ship a pistol. The savings would probably offset the fee a LI based dealer would charge to do the tranfer.

They would also be aware of and abide by the procedures that NCPD requires to get a pistol off your permit. Probably some type of official slip or paperwork issued by NCPD or NYSP.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
You cannot legally ship your handgun, UNDER THE GCA68 Handguns can only be shipped by an FFL.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You cannot legally ship your handgun, UNDER THE GCA68 Handguns can only be shipped by an FFL.
View Quote
Don't think that's correct.

ETA: hypothetically i think an individual could ship a pistol directly to another individual residing in his same state by FedEx or UPS and not violate any federal laws.

I think GCA 68 only stipulates a firearm shipped to another individual out of state must be shipped to an FFL and the buyer must pick it up from the FFL.

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

ETA: hypothetically i think an individual could ship a pistol directly to another individual residing in his same state by FedEx or UPS and not violate any federal laws.

I think GCA 68 only stipulates a firearm shipped to another individual out of state must be shipped to an FFL and the buyer must pick it up from the FFL.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are correct, I was thinking of in NY & typed faster than my brain??  worked.
I'm sure NYS requires handguns (NOW ALL GUNS, THANKS TO S.A.F.E.) shipped inside the state go from FFL to FFL only, private transfers of all guns are now illegal with a few exceptions for family members.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 8:55:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:33:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
he has to use a NY ffl with a pistol license in order to remove the guns from his permit regardless of any federal laws, at least that was my experience
View Quote

This is the correct answer. A pistol on a permit can ONLY be disposed of by:

Sale to a NYS licensed dealer.
Sale to a permit holder (which now requires a dealer).
Sale to a LEO (now requires a dealer).
Surrender to the Police.
*It can be shipped to the manufacturer for repair, and even replaced, but that is NOT a disposition*

There is no other way to prove the gun was disposed of legally so it can be taken off the permit.

Of course, if it is stolen you must present a Police report, and if it is destroyed (say it blows up at the range) you need to be able to have someone certify that - probably just sell it to a dealer for $1.00

Selling it out of State would be considered a sale to the shipping dealer for the purposes of the PD.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:04:23 AM EDT
[#9]
^ While this is not 100% accurate, in terms of avoiding possible headaches and unneeded drama, it might as well be.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Is there some kind of document an out of state FFL can give you if you sell a pistol to him that a NY pistol licensing authority would honor?

When I had a NY based FFL transfer a few handguns he gave me a slip and a receipt to present to my licensing authority. I assume the slip was part of something given to him by my licensing authority as he had his biz in a location under their jurisdiction.

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is there some kind of document an out of state FFL can give you if you sell a pistol to him that a NY pistol licensing authority would honor?

When I had a NY based FFL transfer a few handguns he gave me a slip and a receipt to present to my licensing authority. I assume the slip was part of something given to him by my licensing authority as he had his biz in a location under their jurisdiction.

View Quote

In Nassau County, No.
You have to show proof the disposition was legal, if the other party is not a LEO, NYS dealer or licensee, you have no way to do that.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:51:52 AM EDT
[#12]
You can show proof.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You can show proof.
View Quote

And exactly how would you be able to show proof that:

The FFL you present is real
The dealer you say you sent it to is legally able to accept it
You actually sent it???????
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:42:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thank you all for the responses.

Mike
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can show proof.

And exactly how would you be able to show proof that:

The FFL you present is real FFL EZ Check
The dealer you say you sent it to is legally able to accept FFL EZ Check
You actually sent it???????

Thank you all for the responses.

Mike

If you think that NCPD is going to accept that, please send over some of what you have been drinking. It is the good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Like everything else in the NYS pistol licensing scheme, it's up to your issuing authority.  I've been told by an issuing authority that a copy of a receipt from an out of state receiving FFL would suffice to remove a pistol from one's license, while other issuing authorities require that it go to a NYS licensed dealer, exempt person, or licensee, the last two now, as correctly pointed out above, require a dealer transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top