Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/15/2014 3:43:18 AM EDT
Will they keep the registration Link open past the 11.59 tonight deadline to lure some guys in?
Then send out the confiscation letters?

Someone just told me the deadline was last night?
Can someone please clear this up as I don't want anyone getting jammed up due to my first post indicating the deadline is 11:59 tonight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:38:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Will they keep the registration Link open past the 11.59 tonight deadline to lure some guys in?
View Quote

They'll send out the letters either way
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:07:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:16:21 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 5:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
They'll send thank you emails for online registrations. I'm told they're supposed to send letters if they want you to remove or turn them in.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
What if you sold them out of state do you have to have some kind of proof?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Someone just told me the deadline was last night?
Can someone please clear this up as I don't want anyone getting jammed up due to my first post indicating the deadline is 11:59 tonight.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:20:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

If you sold them out of state they'd have to go through an FFL so presumably there would be proof.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

What proof was there in the first place that you even owned them? Or are you asking if you registered them then decided to sell?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:32:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't have any evil rifles. Just asking. But what if you just drove to PA and sold them to some bum. Within your rights?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:34:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:36:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I don't have any evil rifles. Just asking. But what if you just drove to PA and sold them to some bum. Within your rights?
View Quote

Face to Face sales to out of state residents is illegal under GCA68, To sell to an out of state resident you have to go through an FFL to be legal.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Face to Face sales to out of state residents is illegal under GCA68, To sell to an out of state resident you have to go through an FFL to be legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Gotcha. Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha. Thanks

I don't have any evil rifles either.  Just sayin...

Prior to Jan. 2013, it was perfectly legal to liquidate your entire collection by selling to some anonymous local yokel you met via the internet.

Background check and bill of sale were not required by law for in-state long gun sales.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:16:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've been told that they won't do this, but with this administration who knows.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been told that they won't do this, but with this administration who knows.

Looks like they are "Pulling a Connecticut", the register your assault weapon here section of the website is still there!
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:05:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Coming up next: Anmesty Period
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:33:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll call amnesty international and have them work on that program.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote
Unless the legislature passes a law allowing for it, then those registering under an amnesty period would be in the same boat as California's who took the bait and registered under an extended period.  There is no provision in the SAFE act allowing for declaration of an amnesty period.  So if the governor announced such an initiative, a court challenge would probably strike it down.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:57:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Don't ask. Don't tell.

Seems to be the best policy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Unless the legislature passes a law allowing for it, then those registering under an amnesty period would be in the same boat as California's who took the bait and registered under an extended period.  There is no provision in the SAFE act allowing for declaration of an amnesty period.  So if the governor announced such an initiative, a court challenge would probably strike it down.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't there a provision to register guns you though were exempt, but were not?   30 days once you were advised to register?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#21]
(C) A PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY FAILS TO APPLY TO REGISTER SUCH WEAPON,  AS
  54  REQUIRED  BY  THIS SECTION, WITHIN ONE YEAR OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE
  55  CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS  PARAGRAPH
  56  SHALL BE GUILTY OF A CLASS A MISDEMEANOR AND SUCH PERSON WHO UNKNOWINGLY
      S. 2230                            34                            A. 2388

1  FAILS  TO VALIDLY REGISTER SUCH WEAPON WITHIN SUCH ONE YEAR PERIOD SHALL
   2  BE GIVEN A WARNING BY AN APPROPRIATE  LAW  ENFORCEMENT  AUTHORITY  ABOUT
   3  SUCH  FAILURE  AND  GIVEN THIRTY DAYS IN WHICH TO APPLY TO REGISTER SUCH
   4  WEAPON  OR  TO SURRENDER IT. A FAILURE TO APPLY OR SURRENDER SUCH WEAPON
   5  WITHIN SUCH THIRTY-DAY PERIOD SHALL RESULT IN SUCH WEAPON BEING  REMOVED
   6  BY AN APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITY AND DECLARED A NUISANCE.
View Quote

Is that what you were thinking of?
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld&bn=S02230&Summary=Y&Text=Y
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:13:40 AM EDT
[#22]
What if you registered them and moved them to another state before April 15th
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#23]
Would not need to register if you moved them out of state -
One diff between us and conn is conn has a state type 4473 in addition to the fed so they have more data to track purchases than ny.
Can you say needle in a hay stack-?  A lower was purchased 24 years ago at a shop now out of business for 15 years.  Not saying it could not be done but the search through federal data ( which ny would first have to get permission to search) would be monumental!
While the fear of registration and confiscation is real, the idea of having the manpower to execute searches based on milling through old data to find possible non compliance and start searches for unregistered aw's is fantasy. Like in the old awb days it is a law that hurts good people makes us second guess our behaviors and keeps us wondering if we will get in trouble for modification x or y which we think is ok but have no proof. All the while bad people will continue to be bad.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:49:19 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then you CYA if you come back to NY. I hope......
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:43:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Registrations are only good for 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:00:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The so-called "30 day rule" is not something that you want to hang your hat on, from what I've been told.

The "unknowingly" language can be problematic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't there a provision to register guns you though were exempt, but were not?   30 days once you were advised to register?

The so-called "30 day rule" is not something that you want to hang your hat on, from what I've been told.

Really?  I have watched you and others in the legal profession differ in opinion as to what is or isn't a compliant modification that would make a rifle an "assault weapin" by the SAFE Act's language or not.  So how could Joe Blow AR owner be able to "knowingly" detetmine that the hunk of metal he owns should have been registered?  I think the state would be opening themselves up to liability by waiving off the 30 day period for a person to dispose of an unregistered "assault weapon".
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Really?  I have watched you and others in the legal profession differ in opinion as to what is or isn't a compliant modification that would make a rifle an "assault weapin" by the SAFE Act's language or not.  So how could Joe Blow AR owner be able to "knowingly" detetmine that the hunk of metal he owns should have been registered?  I think the state would be opening themselves up to liability by waiving off the 30 day period for a person to dispose of an unregistered "assault weapon".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better yet, How about the guy who installed the MR2 or any of the other Mag Locking devices, He really believes his gun is exempt from registration, if he gets nailed does he get a 30 day free pass to register or dispose of the gun?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Letters?   The 4473 just says long rifle.   S/Ns would have to be bumped with model numbers and so on.   Troopers can't even build a ammo data base. NY is full of retards
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#30]
4473's are only through dealers... if you didn't buy anything from a dealer they don't know what you have.  Unless they ask the NSA, then they know what you have, the name of the first woman you had sex with, your favorite color, your favorite animal, your best friends middle name...
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:12:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:Better yet, How about the guy who installed the MR2 or any of the other Mag Locking devices, He really believes his gun is exempt from registration, if he gets nailed does he get a 30 day free pass to register or dispose of the gun?
View Quote

Precisely.  Especially since NY won't give any official, binding guidance on what is acceptable or not.

I mean, fuck, you could even say you went on their website, and that it told you that you do not own an assault weapon requiring registration.  How can they prove what you thought, knew, or ate for breakfast?

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof, and make a counter-accusation!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:17:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:05:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've been told that some of the guidance that is coming out is not favorable to people who made honest mistakes, and that the application of this rule will be very, very limited.
View Quote

PM SENT
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:18:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

PM SENT
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been told that some of the guidance that is coming out is not favorable to people who made honest mistakes, and that the application of this rule will be very, very limited.

PM SENT

I have been told that if NYSP come across unregistered assault weapons, they are to give warnings that the gun needs to be registered, then follow up in 30 days to make sure it has been registered
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I have been told that if NYSP come across unregistered assault weapons, they are to give warnings that the gun needs to be registered, then follow up in 30 days to make sure it has been registered
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM SENT

The big question is when the NYSP come across someone with a fixed mag via MR2 or some other method, will they considerer it an AW or NOT?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
The big question is when the NYSP come across someone with a fixed mag via MR2 or some other method, will they considerer it an AW or NOT?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

PM SENT

Which is what many are waiting to find out.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:23:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:22:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM SENT

Are the warnings logged into some database, or a record of the warning otherwise recorded somehow?  

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 1:48:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Are the warnings logged into some database, or a record of the warning otherwise recorded somehow?  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM SENT

Sent you an IM
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 2:45:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

PM SENT

This is correct.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 3:56:35 PM EDT
[#41]
If you registered one rifle and get caught in possesion of another assault rifle its going to be difficult to prove ignorance.

The lesson here is dont register, if caught make no statements
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Man, I ain' do nuffin!!!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If you registered one rifle and get caught in possesion of another assault rifle its going to be difficult to prove ignorance.

The lesson here is dont register, if caught make no statements
View Quote

Is a rifle with a fixed magazine an assault rifle?
LETTER OF THE LAW SAYS NO!
How can they even issue a warning to someone with a fixed magazine rifle that the law states IS NOT AN ASSAULT RIFLE!
I suspect well be finding out soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I expect that some will be fine and others will end up in cuffs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can argue with the Officer till you're blue in the face.  In the end, he'll probably arrest you and let the DA sort it out.

Can anyone knowledgeable on the subject speak on what our rights would be in this situation?  Can the rifle be confiscated "pending investigation and final determination".   If we strongly disagree do we have any choice but to forfeit the rifle?  We should really have a sticky with some guidance on this topic.  It WILL happen to someone eventually.

I'm thinking that, at a minimum you should:
1) Get the officers name and badge number
2) Get a receipt for your property
3) Keep a secret folder at home with pictures of your rifles in their current configuration and/or documenting any compliance modifications you have performed.  Your lawyer may find the info useful.  And it's too late to gather this info after the rifle has left your possession.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:28:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You can argue with the Officer till you're blue in the face.  In the end, he'll probably arrest you and let the DA sort it out.

Can anyone knowledgeable on the subject speak on what our rights would be in this situation?  Can the rifle be confiscated "pending investigation and final determination".   If we strongly disagree do we have any choice but to forfeit the rifle?  We should really have a sticky with some guidance on this topic.  It WILL happen to someone eventually.

3) Keep a secret folder at home with pictures of your rifles in their current configuration and/or documenting any compliance modifications you have performed.  Your lawyer may find the info useful.  And it's too late to gather this info after the rifle has left your possession.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you play their game, you will lose.  So either don't play or change the rules so they don't want to play.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:32:33 AM EDT
[#46]
^Yah, I hear that.  Still thinking through this...

The SAFE has very meager protection written into it for people who maybe haven't heard about the law and "unknowingly" possess AWs.  There is nothing in the SAFE Act about "good faith compliance efforts" that are deemed insufficient.  If you start fielding technical counterpoints to someone who says you are outside the law the "unknowing" aspect of your defense goes out the window.

Best advice is probably to play dumb, clam up, and don't field any counter argument at all.  Take the charge and talk to a lawyer.  This law is such BS.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top