Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2014 4:50:31 PM EDT
Just saw this on another site. This is the first I've heard of a pilot program for renewals.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this information is accurate or not.

http://scopevoterapp.org/ny_safe_license_renewal/

4/23 update: The link above no longer works. See my post below for more info.

Link Posted: 3/19/2014 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Craig Hayner, Saratoga County Clerk, said as much during a brief Q&A exchange at Sunday's NY2A forum.  He said Saratoga and Albany were both part of the pilot program.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
There has been some more news coverage on this program. It looks like the following seven counties initially participated: Albany, Cortland, Genesee, Ontario, Rensselaer, Schenectady and Saratoga. This is based on the following recent articles.

http://innovationtrail.org/post/three-counties-pull-out-safe-act-pilot-permit-program

and

http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/County-clerks-State-delays-handgun-permit-5408699.php

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Last year, the state set up a pilot program with seven counties... in which gun owners could start the process early. The intent was to avoid a last-minute rush as the 2018 deadline approached.

At the start of the pilot plan, county clerks and state officials had meetings and biweekly phone conferences with State Police and Office of Information Technology Services officials. But the sessions became more sporadic last fall, the clerks said.

By February, as the first of 500 handgun owners were supposed to get their recertification notices, the process came to a halt, Larkin said.

"They said they would notify us when they wanted us," said Larkin, who chairs a NY SAFE Act subcommittee for the state County Clerks Association.

Some of the county clerks, including Larkin and Read, subsequently pulled out of the pilot program.

State officials haven't told the clerks why the pilot program has slowed. But most believe it has to do with difficulties in creating a new handgun database.

"They didn't anticipate the amount of time it was going to take to establish that digital database," Larkin said.

Still, the challenges of creating vast statewide databases have become apparent with other components of the NY SAFE Act.

A system allowing background checks for all ammunition sales was originally supposed to be in place by Jan. 15, but its rollout has been indefinitely postponed amid reports the database isn't ready.

Nor has it gone unnoticed that county clerks were told the pace of work on the handgun effort would likely pick up at the end of the year — after the November elections, in which voters who are still upset about the NY SAFE Act could be a factor.

It wasn't immediately clear how many handgun permit holders the state will need to contact. The State Police have a list of permits with more than 300,000 names, but it is said to date to the 1930s.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Shaping up to be a clusterfuck of epic proportions.  

Thanks, FUAC !
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Another unfunded mandate thrown on upstate counties.

The county clerks shouldn't have formed a task force.   They should have told the state to provide a list every month, stamps and envelopes, re-registration forms, and they'd sit and accept them.

The clerks should do AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE.   Let the state pay for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I see dead people...

The county data does not get properly purged.  If you ever saw the old list that floated around the web a few years back, you know that it's full of dead people and folks that have moved out of state.

What a fustercluck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:03:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see dead people...

The county data does not get properly purged.  If you ever saw the old list that floated around the web a few years back, you know that it's full of dead people and folks that have moved out of state.

What a fustercluck.
View Quote

I may or may not have had a few deceased relatives on that list.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top