Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2014 9:03:21 PM EDT
I handled one t the shop. Seems to me if you hold your trigger finger against the receiver, and fire with your middle finger rather than the trigger finger, it would be more stable. Anybody try this? My ARs are going out of state because they are all preban, and making them compliant is too great and xpensive a headache, bu an AR with a crowned barrel and a spur might be an option.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Most of my grip has always been left hand so I don't find it to be bad.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:33:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Honestly I think more people will go the fixed mag route.  Only because the majority of ARs in NY don't have target crowns because they have a pinned and welded muzzle device, and adding a spur grip to a post 94 configuration still = AW in NY.  But if you are showing up to the game late, post Unsafe Act and buying a compliant (less ergonomic and neutered) AR, than this is definitely an option for a range only gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 9:45:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I think the jury is out on pinned and welded, I know what people are saying about threads under the brake. However if the job was done right, I would think the threads would be destroyed removing the brake. The problem ith the fixed mag is how do you o it that will be coveted. The State Police aren't issuing guidance.

I think I'll likely just stick with my Mini 14. Trying to make an exiting AR compliant is a nightmare.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Just saw the spur, and what about cutting a grip down as short as possible instead?

Fixed mag should do it, but until State police release specific guidance, we can only guess what makes a non "Violent Killing Machine".

Bill
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:35:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just saw the spur, and what about cutting a grip down as short as possible instead?

Fixed mag should do it, but until State police release specific guidance, we can only guess what makes a non "Violent Killing Machine".

Bill
View Quote

For what the Spur costs ($25 at the local shop) just easier to buy it and have nice rounded edges.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 10:37:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

For what the Spur costs ($25 at the local shop) just easier to buy it and have nice rounded edges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

Easy enough to grind and sand the edges to any smooth shape you want.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Isn't there some requirement that the grip be "permanently" attached, too? I just can't seem to keep up with all this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:16:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Isn't there some requirement that the grip be "permanently" attached, too? I just can't seem to keep up with all this.
View Quote

No. Is there a requirement for you to permanently attach your stock to your 10/22?
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:20:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one, I tried it and with a light weight rifle it is fine. It also works well shooting a heavy rifle off a bench.

Link Posted: 1/11/2014 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm of the mind that if you wanted to make an AR compliant, the funky spur is the better option over a fixed mag. It's ugly, sure, but the fixed mag seems to have no other purpose than to keep the rifle "looking cool." Functionally, breaking the rifle open to load it seems cumbersome and reduces it's effectiveness beyond range work.

But that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 8:45:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's the confusion I'm reading as well. Because the grip is screwed in, there's a concern that the rifle will be readily converted back to incompliant rather than permanent. I'm gonna wait as time goes by to see what they come up with after April. If no go, maybe I'll just let my bro take them to his new home in the south.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm of the mind that if you wanted to make an AR compliant, the funky spur is the better option over a fixed mag. It's ugly, sure, but the fixed mag seems to have no other purpose than to keep the rifle "looking cool." Functionally, breaking the rifle open to load it seems cumbersome and reduces it's effectiveness beyond range work.

But that's just me.
View Quote

MR2 is the only way to take advantage of the recent PSA deals, $280 M4 upper and the $39 M4 stock on a new lower...all GTG if built as a non detachable mag rifle.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

Sure, if you have the tools handy. My Dremel died and I'd rather not buy a new one just for this.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

MR2 is the only way to take advantage of the recent PSA deals, $280 M4 upper and the $39 M4 stock on a new lower...all GTG if built as a non detachable mag rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

The MR2 seems rather dicey to me personally.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 11:21:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

The FFL's selling rifles with it installed do not seem to worry.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

That's fined that doesn't mean that the state considers it to be acceptable. I have a huge beef with the fact the NYSP say making a rile compliant is an acceptable alternative to registration... Yet will not provide definitive guidance on what constitutes compliant.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 12:33:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That's fined that doesn't mean that the state considers it to be acceptable. I have a huge beef with the fact the NYSP say making a rile compliant is an acceptable alternative to registration... Yet will not provide definitive guidance on what constitutes compliant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But that's just me.

I agree. I love how the only guidance is modifications must be permanent. I can't find this in the law except regarding preban mags. Either it has features or it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 1:08:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

But that's just me.
View Quote

The spur is fine if you have a barrel with a target crown, but if you have a barrel with a muzzle brake or flash hider, the non-detachable mag is your only option to stay compliant and not have to register.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No. Is there a requirement for you to permanently attach your stock to your 10/22?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Prominus, I think you wandered into the wrong HTF. PA's the state without all the cosmetic restrictions. If you read the NY unSAFE Act, there are still many "restrictions" whose compliance is open to interpretation. As already mentioned, guidance to protect from running afoul of these new laws is in short supply. I'm not the only person reading the caveats about "readily" changing its meaning depending upon with whom you speak.

This is straight from the NYS website FAQs for the unSAFE Act.
Q. If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?
A. No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Frs makes a nice stock to. I held one it was comfortable.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Prominus, I think you wandered into the wrong HTF. PA's the state without all the cosmetic restrictions. If you read the NY unSAFE Act, there are still many "restrictions" whose compliance is open to interpretation. As already mentioned, guidance to protect from running afoul of these new laws is in short supply. I'm not the only person reading the caveats about "readily" changing its meaning depending upon with whom you speak.

Q. If I modify my gun by removing all design characteristics that makes it an assault weapon, do I have to register it?
A. No. If you modify your gun so that it is not an assault weapon, you do not have to register it. The modification must be permanent however. This includes, for example, removing the bayonet lug by cutting or grinding, grinding off the threads on the barrel, removing the foregrip so that it cannot be readily reattached, or any change that cannot be reversed through reasonable means.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't rely on the website for legal advice!!!  The actual law says nothing about permanent.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a good thing there is a disclaimer on the Safe Act website that says do not use this as legal advice. That would be because it is incorrect. No where in the law does it say anything needs to be permanent except for taking a pre ban 10+ round magazines down to 10 rounds or less. It takes 1 screw and 10 seconds to turn an Ruger-10/22 into an assault weapon. Along with a multitude of other firearms that can be made un compliant within seconds.
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#23]
If you unknowingly violate they will give you 30 days to register. I think any court would find that an MR2 or Spur would be perceived as unknowingly
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 2:47:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If you unknowingly violate they will give you 30 days to register. I think any court would find that an MR2 or Spur would be perceived as unknowingly
View Quote

This ^
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Sure, if you have the tools handy. My Dremel died and I'd rather not buy a new one just for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bill

You can afford it!

Bill
Link Posted: 1/11/2014 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I got Chicago tools brand. Meant for little use. Go with the HBT if you feel that way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top