Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2013 11:54:32 AM EDT
Not sure how to add but copy paste works. My neighbor seems to think he could be a record for bow in NY. Any thoughts?

http://s959.photobucket.com/user/XDONX3/media/IMG_0076_zpsb17b5230.mp4.html
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#1]
well shit get out there and look for him
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I shot him Sunday night. Looked that night for a couple hours, which i shouldn't have done. I thought i hurt him more than i did apparently. I looked till 11 Monday and continued at 4 till almost dark.
He has about a foot of arrow still in him so he should die but who knows how far he ran.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like the deer i saw last year at 3am of opening day for gun season.

My son went to a fire at midnight and he knew i needed my truck to go hunting that morning. Well wife dropped my off to pick up my jeep and on the way home. about mile from my house was a buck about that size running down the road towards home depot in wappingers.

That was the biggest buck i have ever seen around my house. i use to hunt behind my house before someone brought up the property.  People have said for years there was a big one running around.

My wife pulls into the middle of road so she wouldn't hit it and ran right past both of our vehicles. She gets home and says you see that buck. I told her yup and i drive 30 minutes to go hunt on a farm instead of should be looking at the streets by my house instead.

Nice deer i hope you find it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Tracking dog. Same situation except with a bear right where I hunt on Monday. Local tracker used a dog to pick the sent up and found the bear.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a friend who has a rock star of a tracking dog.  Are you anywhere near Syracuse?
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:37:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes i am in Kirkville. I still have half an arrow with blood on it. I think it might be a little late now.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes i am in Kirkville. I still have half an arrow with blood on it. I think it might be a little late now.
View Quote

If you're a meat hunter then the yotes probably got it.  

If you're looking for antlers they're still there and it's not too late.
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm both. But i can't be anything but disappointed about this. What it boils down to is I shouldn't have taken the shot.
Every deer Ive shot with my bow has been a heart shot. Prob. never knew what hit them. Pains me to think I wounded it
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Bad shots happen, range estimation off, deer jumping string, unnoticed twigs in the way.  

I don't thinkt it's a bow record buck but it's an extremely nice buck just the same.    I would say you'll find it by looking for buzzards or ravens by now.   Meat is spoiled almost certainly.  Sorry for the bad luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 5:08:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah my neighbor said he will keep an eye out for buzzards. Theres also alot of coyotes where im at.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:03:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Never been to Westchester county, huh?  

Definitely not a record, but a very nice buck none the less.  Did you contact Deer Search?  They may have been a help earlier on, but now it's antler recovery at best.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:19:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I can attest to those bad shots. Had a perfect shot on a 6 pointer 2 years ago. It took off with arrow halfway in. Never recovered it that night or next morning despite a long blood trail. A few months later, my brother found half of my arrow about 100 yards from the shot site. He thinks I may have hit the shoulder blade. My shot placement was right in along the back of the front leg but may have hit the  shoulder. It's one of those.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I had one of those back edge of the shoulder blade hits on a 6 pt.    Closest deer to the house that I ever shot and the longest track and the longest drag I ever made.   Last day of the late southern archery season,  just getting out the backyard and spy this buck on the side hill.  I put a arrow in it and saw too much shaft sticking out as it ran off.   In the first 50 yards I saw the clipped off shaft and fletching and a few yards later he dropped one of his antlers.   I let him set up an hour and then went to look for him.  Bumped him several times finding beds with holes from the hot blood tunneling down.  After finding 2 beds I knew I only got one lung and decided to carefully press on, either find him still bedded or keep the blood running.  

Hours later as it was getting dark and starting to snow I was about ready to give in as I lost the track in a mix of other deer tracks and it was sunset.  Guessed one last direction from the nest of tracks and heard a clatter and some kicking.   Walked up to the buck that was now expired.    I tracked him through ravines and over cricks for two miles and only got him through perserverance and a lot of luck.  The shoulder blade had a neat little triangular cut in it.  

It's a lot harder than slaughtering beeves in the barnyard.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#15]
What a bunch of A holes, leaving the personal data exposed.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I got nothing to hide. I lost all my shit in a boating accident.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone mentioned a tracking dog; well believe it or not, most any dog just might surprise you. My former neighbor lost a deer and came home to get us to go help. I told him to bring his Great Dane; now this dog never looked for anything besides his dish. We brought him out to where he shot that deer and the dog literally drug my son through the woods right to it!  
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:50:42 AM EDT
[#18]
shit happens.  hopefully you will see him again if he lives.

i shot a buck similar to him 3 years ago, i had to rush the shot as he came in fast and i hit him high.  never found him.  

ive learned from that, i dont take shots unless its nearly perfect now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:29:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I have never lost a deer I shot, never had to track a deer either.
Every deer I have ever shot has dropped within a few yards of where I shot it, all shots go through the chest.

You should practice more or get better equipment.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I wish I were perfect.
The OP shot him with an arrow.   Usually involves tracking the blood trail.  "Nuff said.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 8:32:53 AM EDT
[#21]
This is bowhunting.  Yes, practice is important, but in the field shit happens.  All it takes is that one small leaf, twig, wind gust, deer jumping the string......and the arrow is not where you want it to be.  Sometimes even the best situations can still get dogged.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Every deer I have ever shot has dropped within a few yards of where I shot it, all shots go through the chest.

View Quote

Hunter of the universe right here.  You must not bow hunt much.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 3:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya think, LOL ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Get back out there and redeem yourself.  

I was out most of the day today and i think all the deer left, saw 1 doe all day.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bow hunt plenty, and have shot plenty with a bow. I have also let plenty walk away if the shot was even a little sketchy. Every deer I have shot has dropped after taking a few steps. I have never missed either, if I pull a a trigger there is a dead deer.
Maybe I am just lucky.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:48:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I bow hunt plenty, and have shot plenty with a bow. I have also let plenty walk away if the shot was even a little sketchy. Every deer I have shot has dropped after taking a few steps. I have never missed either, if I pull a a trigger there is a dead deer.
Maybe I am just lucky.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe I am just lucky.

Never missed either, and deer drop in a few steps, Bullshit.  Do you have a supermodel wife, house paid off and buy all your cars with cash too?  I have shot well over 50 deer with the bow, about 30 of them Double lung, 10 or so heart shot, about 5 or so liver and lost about 5 in 23 years of bowhunting. Oh and i have even missed before, imagine that.

The quickest any of the deer expired was about 30 yds, usually 50-150.  Deer do not drop in a few steps unless you spine them or break both scapulas.

OP, shit happens, i beat myself up too, but all you can do is look the best you can and get back out there and redeem yourself.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#28]
get some rage broadheads.  hit them in the boiler room and watch em drop...  

every deer ive shot w a rage has expired w/in 50yds w huge piles of blood.  i shot a doe 2 weeks ago w/ rage 2 blades, i got out of my stand right after the shot and recovered her.  she expired in about 30 seconds.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#29]
very rarely do deer drop within sight.  anyone that says they have never lost a deer or missed is full of shit.  sorry.  that's all part of hunting.  it happens.  it sucks when it does.  i will exhaust every bit of hope looking.  in my 26 years of deer hunting i have lost 3 that come to mind.  all went several hundred yards on good hits and blood trail disapeared.  it happens.  holes gets plugged by organs/tissue/clot.  trick is, if you are unsure of your shot, back out and don't push the deer for at least 8 hours.  they will bed down and expire if you made even a gut shot.  if you push them, they will outrun you and leave the area quicker than you think.  they are masters at getting into the thickest most unimagineable hiding spots, where you will never find them unless the last drop of blood is 2 feet away.

don't question yourself op, you put forth a good effort to recover.  it sucks, but get back in that stand and redeem yourself.  you will feel better.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

every deer ive shot w a rage has expired w/in 50yds w huge piles of blood.  i shot a doe 2 weeks ago w/ rage 2 blades, i got out of my stand right after the shot and recovered her.  she expired in about 30 seconds.  
View Quote

rage leave awesome blood trail, but i have a concern about their penetration.  i used them for 3 years and took 2 nice bucks with them, but for some reason, i like the pass thru shots.  i am now shooting slick tricks.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I shot at a small 6 yesterday and hit branches and he took off. I'm batting 0 and 2 right now.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:15:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

rage leave awesome blood trail, but i have a concern about their penetration.  i used them for 3 years and took 2 nice bucks with them, but for some reason, i like the pass thru shots.  i am now shooting slick tricks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine went thru 3 ribs, both lungs, heart and broke her opposite leg at the joint.  They were the new chisel tip 2 blade.  She was 12yds.  Im pulling 68lbs on my mathews switchbaxk xt.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#33]
I apologize for offending anyone, and I do not consider myself an amazing hunter or anything...the fact is that every deer I have ever released an arrow or fired a bullet at has been hit, and they fell down shortly after being hit.

I guess I do not have a spectacular kill #, so that may be why. I have shot 11 with a gun and 7 with a bow. All but 1 was from the same tree, and all but 3 were under 25 yards (all with the bow were almost directly under me, 20-25 feet).

With a bow I use slick tricks, and punch the arrow through the scapula and it comes out the bottom of the chest, every one has been on the same trail, same place, almost the same time of day. I climb a tree which is above a gap in a stone wall and next to a hedgerow. deer come through just before dusk, I shoot them, they take a few more steps and tip over...a few have looked up at me just before they fall over.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Mine went thru 3 ribs, both lungs, heart and broke her opposite leg at the joint.  They were the new chisel tip 2 blade.  She was 12yds.  Im pulling 68lbs on my mathews switchbaxk xt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen those and actually thought about trying them, but went with the slick tricks.  I was used the Rage Xtreme last year.  Huge entry wound, deer didn't go far, 50 yards within sight. My problem is the penetration.  I drawing 70lbs at 28" draw.  Shot was from a treestand at 27 yards.  I had been used the original Rage before that with the same results.  I had used G5 Montaucs before that and always had pass through shots.  My only problem with those, was their tendency to have a different POI than field points.  I have heard great things about the slick tricks and thats' what I'm trying this year.  So far have only tested it out on a coyote.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top