Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/11/2013 3:50:14 PM EDT
To All, Please refrain from any “What a d1ck! He chopped-up a nice pre-ban 20!” comments…  It’s 10 rounds and permanently modified.  And if you want to use your AR in public and all you have are pre-ban 20s’ that you cannot now use because of the NYS SAFE Act… see below…

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Magblocks plus epoxy for me.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Um, you have until 01-15-2014:

http://www.governor.ny.gov/nysafeact/gun-owners

Q: How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

Link Posted: 5/11/2013 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#3]
No thanks.

I like my 30 rounders just the way they are.  Loaded with 30 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck OP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:02:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Disgraceful

Really speechless I truly am.

But..

Cuomo approves of you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#6]
WTF would you go and do that for.  
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:29:28 PM EDT
[#7]
why not just leave it and put some type of block in it?   Why tear up a nice mag
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Gayest thread since cockpocalypse.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 5:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
"May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”  ― Samuel Adams after reading how you cut up a magazine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
If you plan on getting rid of them, why not sell them out of state and buy 10 rounders?
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
DICK!! LOL  Hey they are his mags, he can do what he wants with them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you plan on getting rid of them, why not sell them out of state and buy 10 rounders?

This x1000
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Run your rifle through that saw while your at it.  On second thought, throw your nuts through..
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#14]
There are internal blocks, so no one can tell what you are using in public.
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks Lenny for removing your “coward” remark.  (I noticed the “EDT” on the right corner….)  Until the NYS SAFE Act is either repealed or modified it is State Law.  I see guys doing dumb shit on the range post SAFE Act that will land them in the pokey in a heartbeat either thru their ignorance or false bravado.

Collectively if we want to end this bullshit, continue to contribute to the NYSRPA and the NRA and to write your assembly person and state senator.  But if you want to be New York State’s next “test case” stick a banana clip in your rifle equipped with a protruding pistol grip and see what happens next…      

ETA:

If you want contribute additional funds to the NYSRPA, Click Here!  
Link Posted: 5/11/2013 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 2:04:51 AM EDT
[#17]

“What a dick! He chopped-up a nice pre-ban 20!”

Couldn't have said it better myself.

As I told someone else a long time ago, hey, if you want to suck his dick, go right ahead. Just don't try to show me the photos.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 2:10:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks Lenny for removing your “coward” remark.  (I noticed the “EDT” on the right corner….)  Until the NYS SAFE Act is either repealed or modified it is State Law.  I see guys doing dumb shit on the range post SAFE Act that will land them in the pokey in a heartbeat either thru their ignorance or false bravado.

Collectively if we want to end this bullshit, continue to contribute to the NYSRPA and the NRA and to write your assembly person and state senator.  But if you want to be New York State’s next “test case” stick a banana clip in your rifle equipped with a protruding pistol grip and see what happens next…      

ETA:

If you want contribute additional funds to the NYSRPA, Click Here!

Try to drive over 65MPH limit and see what happens.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 3:43:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Worst neuter EVER. There is no fuxking floorplate! As others have said, use a mag block. Mods please delete this thread so nobody takes OP's shitty advice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:14:11 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
But if you want to be New York State’s next "test case” stick a banana clip in your rifle equipped with a protruding pistol grip and see what happens next…      

You have 8 months to decide what to do with your preban mags or possibly longer if one of the current unSAFE Act court cases is successful. If you're concerned with transporting or using your preban mags at a range buy some 10 round mags.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988459/c-products-defense-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-10-round-with-orange-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel-black

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/5-ROUND-223-CPD-STAINLESS-STEEL-MAGAZINE-5-ROUND-CPD-223.htm
One more time:

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds.
 This continues to be true today.  You may buy, sell, and possess any
magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was
manufactured.  If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10
rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the
magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard
it, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:40:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

But if you want to be New York State’s next "test case” stick a banana clip in your rifle equipped with a protruding pistol grip and see what happens next…      

You have 8 months to decide what to do with your preban mags or possibly longer if one of the current unSAFE Act court cases is successful. If you're concerned with transporting or using your preban mags at a range buy some 10 round mags.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/988459/c-products-defense-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-10-round-with-orange-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel-black

http://shop.lcjwholesalestore.com/5-ROUND-223-CPD-STAINLESS-STEEL-MAGAZINE-5-ROUND-CPD-223.htm

One more time:

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds.  This continues to be true today.  You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured.  If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

I know this and you know this -- but there are scores and scores of guys out there that don't seem to know this...  

At the range I see guys feeding from fully or partially loaded pre-ban 20s’ and 30s’ saying “Hey, don’t worry I’m g2g because I’ve got until January 15, 2014...” or “Hey, don’t worry because I’m visiting from Vermont and NYS law does not apply to me...”

You can possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014, but you cannot feed your rifle from them.  Also “mag blocks” (a block of wood or some other material inserted into the magazines body to prevent more than 10 round going in) does not count as “permanent
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You can possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014, but you cannot feed your rifle from them.

Where is that codified? In any case what's the rush to destroy your preban mags when 10 rd mags are available now. You're going to kick yourself in the ass if either a NY or Federal court rules in favor of one of the unSAFE lawsuits.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:52:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time:

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds.  This continues to be true today.  You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured.  If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you have until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser

I know this and you know this -- but there are scores and scores of guys out there that don't seem to know this...  

At the range I see guys feeding from fully or partially loaded pre-ban 20s’ and 30s’ saying “Hey, don’t worry I’m g2g because I’ve got until January 15, 2014...” or “Hey, don’t worry because I’m visiting from Vermont and NYS does not apply to me...”

You can possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014, but you cannot feed your rifle from them.  Also “mag blocks” (a block of wood or some other material inserted into the magazines body to prevent more than 10 round going in) does not count as “permanent

Magblocks ARE permanant with epoxy.  Permenant means not readily convertible.  No court has ever ruled otherwise.  If you think its not permanant, than nither is your 16" barrel, because it can be cut down with simple hand tools.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:08:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Rather see how to take 2 or 3 ten round mags and make a single mag with more capacity.  

Looks like a hack job, guess some duck tape would improve the look some with a little spray paint..
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

You can possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014, but you cannot feed your rifle from them.

The Fuck?  

I've got nothin'  
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:05:03 AM EDT
[#27]
…The way that I read it from our Governor’s “helpful website,” the SAFE Act’s magazine limits took full effect on April 15, 2013
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 6:59:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I hate to pile on but it seems like a great way to turn a silk purse into a sow's ear...  Especially when mag blocks and <= 10 rd mags are readily available.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 7:00:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

…The way that I read it from our Governor’s "helpful website,” the SAFE Act’s magazine limits took full effect on April 15, 2013

As of 01-15-2013 you were prohibited from acquiring additional preban +10 magazines unless they were manufactured 50 or more years ago. As of 04-15-2013 you're prohibited from loading more than 7 rounds in any magazine unless you're at an incorporated range or competition where you're permitted to load 10 rounds. As of 01-15-2014 you must either permanently block +10 preban mags to 10 rounds, lose them in a tragic  or dispose of them out-of-state or other lawful manner.   I am not aware of any other restrictions.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:
…The way that I read it from our Governor’s "helpful website,” the SAFE Act’s magazine limits took full effect on April 15, 2013

As of 01-15-2013 you were prohibited from acquiring additional preban +10 magazines unless they were manufactured 50 or more years ago. As of 04-15-2013 you're prohibited from loading more than 7 rounds in any magazine unless you're at an incorporated range or competition where you're permitted to load 10 rounds. As of 01-15-2014 you must either permanently block +10 preban mags to 10 rounds, lose them in a tragic http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=2201  or dispose of them out-of-state or other lawful manner.   I am not aware of any other restrictions.

I’ve only modified 2 of my 6 pre-ban 20 round magazines.  I have no plans to use any of other 4 unmodified magazines until we know the fate of the SAFE Act.  If we win they will remain 20 round mags.  If we lose they will become 10 round mags or be replaced by 10 round magazines..

As for the legality of feeding from a hi-cap pre-ban magazine right at this very moment I still assert that I’m correct…   (In other words you can continue to possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014 -- you just cannot use them in your gun.  The law is delightfully vague, but that’s way I take it based on the way that it is being implemented.  The State is simply giving you time to comply with the SAFE Act’s magazine “permanently modify,”  “destroy” or “sell out of State” provision.)

After that I’m spent, I’m going to let this matter drop…  

(I love the "wave animation" above BTW!  )
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

As for the legality of feeding from a hi-cap pre-ban magazine right at this very moment I still assert that I’m correct…   (In other words you can continue to possess hi-cap pre-ban magazines until January 15, 2014 -- you just cannot use them in your gun.  The law is delightfully vague, but that’s way I take it based on the way that it is being implemented.  The State is simply giving you time to comply with the SAFE Act’s magazine "permanently modify,”  "destroy” or "sell out of State” provision.)

I understand if you're not comfortable with using your +10 preban magazines. The latest gun board controversy is whether you can load 7 in the mag +1 in the chamber for a total of 8 rounds unless you're at a range or participating in a competition.  As always you're on your own and YMMV.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 9:37:45 AM EDT
[#32]
OP, don't take this personally, but you fail.

Legal issues aside, magazines have floorplates for a reason. Your open mag design is susceptible to getting loaded up with dirt, sand, mud, grass, twigs, mulch, dog crap, brass casings and any other debris that would fit in the bottom of an open mag when it hits the ground. Pocket/mag pouch lint could foul it up as well.

It also seems like a lot of effort to create a weaker alternative to a $12 factory 10 round mag. And I love working with metal.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP, don't take this personally, but you fail.

Legal issues aside, magazines have floorplates for a reason. Your open mag design is susceptible to getting loaded up with dirt, sand, mud, grass, twigs, mulch, dog crap, brass casings and any other debris that would fit in the bottom of an open mag when it hits the ground. Pocket/mag pouch lint could foul it up as well.

It also seems like a lot of effort to create a weaker alternative to a $12 factory 10 round mag. And I love working with metal.

He also didn't compensate for the angle of ten less rounds.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:02:01 PM EDT
[#34]

I'm sorta turned on by this picture.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:17:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time:

At the range I see guys feeding from fully or partially loaded pre-ban 20s’ and 30s’ saying “Hey, don’t worry I’m g2g because I’ve got until January 15, 2014...” or “Hey, don’t worry because I’m visiting from Vermont and NYS law does not apply to me...”

What about doing it the way almighty COLT did during the fed ban....BLOCK AND POP RIVET the floorplate! Worked for the FED ban, I think it would standup in court if you duplicate such a |"Permanent" thing as a major manufacturer did in 93. That makes more sense to me than butchering a preban mag such as you did!
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Hey OP, just call your buddy Andy and tell him you could not convert us, maybe he will let you kiss his ring.  This thread is fucking pathetic. Did you honestly think we would all praise you for such a genius idea?

I would rather bury it in a fucking hole that to neuter my shit.  WTF is the point of a 7 shot AR?  My bolt .243 holds 6, i will hunt with that or something that makes bigger holes.  The biggest point of owning a AR is for the 30 round mags.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#37]
OP is trying to be helpful but geeze why destroy a nice preban mag. You really might need them one day.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:01:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Read NYS Penal Law Section 265.00, Section 38, Subdivision 23.  It’s there in black and white!  And even in-light of the way that NYS is administrating its “roll-out,” NYS Penal Law Section 265.00, Section 38, Subdivision 23 became effective the evening of January 15, 2013.  Thus, if someone in law enforcement wants to make your life difficult with it, they can ….and some will.  Beat-on the massager if you like, but pre-ban magazines died on January 15, 2013, at around 11 o’clock pm…
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 5:11:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Read NYS Penal Law Section 265.00, Section 38, Subdivision 23.  It’s there in black and white!  And even in-light of the way that NYS is administrating its “roll-out,” NYS Penal Law Section 265.00, Section 38, Subdivision 23 became effective the evening of January 15, 2013.  Thus, if someone in law enforcement wants to make your life difficult with it, they can ….and some will.  Beat-on the massager if you like, but pre-ban magazines died on January 15, 2013, at around 11 o’clock pm…

I take internet bravado over internet paranoia, because the later doesn't help anyone.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 8:38:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I don't think you can take him!!

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 3:49:14 AM EDT
[#41]
Hmmm, cute pic…  

My (this) post has gone completely off the rails.  I’m going to ask ARF to either lock it or delete it.

The changes that I have written about to NYS Penal Law Section 265.00 via the SAFE Act are true.  Please read NYS Penal Law Section 265.00 carefully and then carefully juxtapose it against the (weasel) words on the NY SAFE Act website.  Then I think you will understand why I’m standing firm in my assertion.  

It’s not paranoia, guys are going to get screwed by this...
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 4:39:56 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Hmmm, cute pic…  
My (this) post has gone completely off the rails.  I’m going to ask ARF to either lock it or delete it.
The changes that I have written about to NYS Penal Law Section 265.00 via the SAFE Act are true.  Please read NYS Penal Law Section 265.00 carefully and then carefully juxtapose it against the (weasel) words on the NY SAFE Act website.  Then I think you will understand why I’m standing firm in my assertion.  
It’s not paranoia, guys are going to get screwed by this...

You need to read all of the applicable PL 265 and PL 400 related ammunition feeding device statutes including the exemptions/exclusions and not just the PL 265.00 definitions.
I don't think you're paranoid as there are numerous sections of the SAFE Act that are so poorly drafted it's not clear what they even mean and forms the basis in part for the NYSRPA complaint filed in US District Court.
IMO the thread is fine and I don't see any reason to delete it.

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Kinda early to be doing that. I'm waiting until 2014 to see how this all goes. Until then, I already have 5 and 10 rounders
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 5:51:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Hey OP, thanks for sharing the method. Looks straightforward, and quick to accomplish. There is also NO doubt it cannot be converted back to 10+ rounds. It also costs next to nothing, unlike buying new 10's.

There will be a whole bunch of folks working up ways to modify their stuff to become compliant. No need to dogpile on anybody for trying to think outside the box. So the guy cut up a 20 round mag. BFD! You guys act like it was the last one out there.

That being said, I think I'd prefer to have a floor plate to keep shmutz out of the spring & follower area.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hey OP, thanks for sharing the method. Looks straightforward, and quick to accomplish. There is also NO doubt it cannot be converted back to 10+ rounds. It also costs next to nothing, unlike buying new 10's.

Why not? You can tig weld, tape, sleeve, or epoxy the cut off section back on with tools and items"readily available at Home Depot".  If we are going to succumb to paranoia why not consider that too?    

Seriously though this is all so silly.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 6:46:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why not? You can tig weld, tape, sleeve, or epoxy the cut off section back on with tools and items"readily available at Home Depot".  If we are going to succumb to paranoia why not consider that too?    

Seriously though this is all so silly.

Good point. With all the modifications & devilish things one COULD build with ingredients from Home Depot, they should be able to lock up everybody and anybody pretty soon.

I hate NY.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:01:48 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
No thanks.

I like my 30 rounders just the way they are.  Loaded with 30 28rounds.

FIFY
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
No thanks.

I like my 30 rounders just the way they are.  Loaded with 30 28rounds.

FIFY

Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Quoted:

One more time:

Midway will not ship these to NY.
Link Posted: 5/13/2013 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top