Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 9/27/2012 12:04:21 PM EST
I want to relocate to NYS from Florida . I would like to secure employment as an armed security officer before I move. From what I determined there is no way to get a pistol permit until I am a NYS resident? Any other options?
zercool
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 12:10:37 PM EST
Nope. Sorry.
Once order starts getting restored there's that akward moment when you have to explain why the heads of your enemies are on pikes lining your cul-de-sac. -- HullBreach
emsjeep
3L
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 1:32:01 PM EST
Originally Posted By zercool:
Nope. Sorry.

Depending on the company they may be able to push one through or even file him for peace officer status in rather short order. It all depends...executive protection companies in NYC for example, but if you are planning to guard a warehouse in East Bumble...probly not...
"Sed quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
RabidMonkeyPox
Alma Wade of arfcom
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 1:54:25 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/27/2012 1:55:03 PM EST by RabidMonkeyPox]
nope, not gonna happen. plus you have to be a resident in the state for x amount of years, I forget how long before you are able to apply.
I am the Vile to burn in Paradise
It is better to Reign in Hell than Serve in Heaven----Milton
The darkness under a whore's bed sheets
Sgt_Gold
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/27/2012 3:02:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By 996twint:
I want to relocate to NYS from Florida . I would like to secure employment as an armed security officer before I move. From what I determined there is no way to get a pistol permit until I am a NYS resident? Any other options?

If you find a job before you move the company you work for may be able to expedite the process. Being materially employed by a company in NYS is one of the few conditions that allows non NYS resident to get a pistol license.
Romulans ghaj ghobe' quv.
Glocks ghaj ghobe' qa'.
Aardvark
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 3:15:59 AM EST

I want to relocate to NYS from Florida.

Why on Earth do you want to do that? You like snow, high taxes and no freedom????
996twint
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 3:33:10 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aardvark:

Why on Earth do you want to do that? You like snow, high taxes and no freedom????

Most of my family lives there and my dad is sick, so I wanted to live closer. Also, the area here has gone to hell and I want a better place to raise my son.
rkbar15
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 4:01:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold:

If you find a job before you move the company you work for may be able to expedite the process. Being materially employed by a company in NYS is one of the few conditions that allows non NYS resident to get a pistol license.

This. Contrary to popular belief you do not need to be a NYS resident to get a pistol license in NY.

3. Applications. (a) Applications shall be made and renewed, in the
case of a license to carry or possess a pistol or revolver, to the
licensing officer in the city or county, as the case may be, where the
applicant resides, is principally employed or has his principal place of
business as merchant or storekeeper; and, in the case of a license as
gunsmith or dealer in firearms, to the licensing officer where such
place of business is located.
Blank applications shall, except in the
city of New York, be approved as to form by the superintendent of state
police. An application shall state the full name, date of birth,
residence, present occupation of each person or individual signing the
same, whether or not he is a citizen of the United States, whether or
not he complies with each requirement for eligibility specified in
subdivision one of this section and such other facts as may be required
to show the good character, competency and integrity of each person or
individual signing the application. An application shall be signed and
verified by the applicant. Each individual signing an application shall
submit one photograph of himself and a duplicate for each required copy
of the application. Such photographs shall have been taken within thirty
days prior to filing the application. In case of a license as gunsmith
or dealer in firearms, the photographs submitted shall be two inches
square, and the application shall also state the previous occupation of
each individual signing the same and the location of the place of such
business, or of the bureau, agency, subagency, office or branch office
for which the license is sought, specifying the name of the city, town
or village, indicating the street and number and otherwise giving such
apt description as to point out reasonably the location thereof. In such
case, if the applicant is a firm, partnership or corporation, its name,
date and place of formation, and principal place of business shall be
stated. For such firm or partnership, the application shall be signed
and verified by each individual composing or intending to compose the
same, and for such corporation, by each officer thereof.
emsjeep
3L
Link To This Post
Posted: 9/28/2012 6:23:33 AM EST

Most of my family lives there and my dad is sick, so I wanted to live closer. Also, the area here has gone to hell and I want a better place to raise my son.

http://www.nassaucivilservice.com/NCCSWeb/homepage.nsf/0/EBED41AF9FE7EC14852579C9004EF495
BushBoar
Hated Divorce Lawyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 5:55:02 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/22/2012 5:55:38 AM EST by BushBoar]

The statute technically allows for a non-resident to get a permit.

Never heard of it happening, though I'm sure that it has a few times.
Suos Cultores Scientia Coronat

"But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782
Aardvark
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 6:21:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By BushBoar:

I cannot find the story at the moment but either the NY Post or NY Times had reported in a story about gun control about a rock group that was playing NYC and some members were bringing their pistols with them. NYPD arranged to meet them on their bus and process permits for them right there. The kind of service no ordinary peon citizen would ever get in NYC.

nyrkba
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 7:30:25 AM EST
The N.Y. AG stated in a formal opinion to the G.A. AG back around '96 that there is nothing in state law that allows the issuing of pistol licenses to non-residents.
nyrkba
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 7:32:32 AM EST
I cannot find the story at the moment but either the NY Post or NY Times had reported in a story about gun control about a rock group that was playing NYC and some members were bringing their pistols with them. NYPD arranged to meet them on their bus and process permits for them right there. The kind of service no ordinary peon citizen would ever get in NYC.

That was Steven Tyler and Joe Perry of Aerosmith. NYPD Capt. in charge of licensing got a free limo ride and backstage pass to fingerprint them at a Meadowlands concert.
Swoosh101
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 8:58:00 AM EST
Getting a job as an armed guard will expedite the process, they will ask for a letter from your employer. Though they will drag their damned feet. They act like sulking children sometimes " oh do I have to? Okay fine but it's going to take six months!"
There is one certain means by which I can be sure to never see my country's ruin; I will die in the last ditch!
BushBoar
Hated Divorce Lawyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/22/2012 9:02:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By nyrkba:
The N.Y. AG stated in a formal opinion to the G.A. AG back around '96 that there is nothing in state law that allows the issuing of pistol licenses to non-residents.

From Penal Law 400. The clear implication is that a non-resident may receive a pistol license.

7. License: form. Any license issued pursuant to this  section  shall,
  except  in  the  city  of  New  York,  be  approved  as  to  form by the
  superintendent of state police. A license to carry or possess  a  pistol
  or  revolver shall have attached the licensee's photograph, and a coupon
  which shall be removed and retained by any person disposing of a firearm
  to the licensee. Such  license  shall  specify  the  weapon  covered  by
  calibre, make, model, manufacturer's name and serial number, or if none,
  by  any  other  distinguishing  number or identification mark, and shall
  indicate whether issued to  carry  on  the  person  or  possess  on  the
  premises,  and if on the premises shall also specify the place where the
  licensee shall possess the same. If such license is issued to an  alien,
  or to a person not a citizen of and usually a resident in the state, the
  licensing  officer  shall state in the license the particular reason for
  the issuance and the  names  of  the  persons  certifying  to  the  good
  character  of  the  applicant.  Any  license  as  gunsmith  or dealer in
  firearms shall mention and describe the premises for which it is  issued
  and shall be valid only for such premises.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." - Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1782
fp1201
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2012 4:42:55 AM EST

G.I.'s do it all the time.
IN NOMINE PATRIS ET FILII ET SPIRITUS SANCTI
The Lord is my Sheppard, and I his Sheepdog.
NYSRPA Adirondack Regional Director
4th Deg. K of C
NYS EMT-D
WG-10 Automotive Mechanic
10th Mountain
geekz0r
Geek!
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2012 4:53:32 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2012 5:09:36 AM EST by geekz0r]
the problem is that you'll have to prove you need it pretty much

And I know the other posters quoted laws that stated you don't have to be a resident, but.... each county specifically states that you have to be a resident of that county in order to obtain a permit. Is that some way to circumvent state law or something? Like, "you don't have to be a state resident but you have to be a county resident" kind of bullshit?

But I ... Hmm this seems odd. Back when I left NY each county also had their own rules on how long you had to be a resident before getting a permit. Some said 6 months, some said 12... I've been randomly looking at different county sites and haven't seen that requirement...

The requirements I have seen though are pretty much the following:

• Must be a New York State / [whatever county] resident. (Sometimes the "new york state" part isn't even there!)

• Must be at least 21 years old.

• Must have four character references.

• Must attend a Handgun Safety Course with one of our certified instructors and furnish this office with proof of completion of the course. Fees and locations differ, but it is the applicant's responsibility to make arrangements for the course.

And, at least back in 2010 sometimes those character references also had to be residents from your county. Some counties even stipulated how long they had to have known you for... pretty much making it effectively impossible to move to NY (or even change counties) and apply for a gun permit.

Or as my BF said... putting in so much red tape people just give up.

Were they forced to remove the individual county restrictions then? The ones about "time as resident" or limiting your references to people in your current county, etc?
rkbar15
Team Member
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2012 6:34:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By fp1201:

And bank messengers, security guards, private detectives, jewelers, diamond dealers and a host of other NYS non-residents who have a business/employment relationship in the county where the application for a CCL is made.

strikemark
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2012 11:55:36 AM EST
Anyone know if someone who is legit employed as a "Certified Protection Professional" e.g. doing personal security - do they go through the same hassle/process as a civilian or is it more stream-lined because of their employer? E.g. do the legit private security companies have ways to get people permits more easily than civilians?
emsjeep
3L
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/23/2012 7:32:48 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/23/2012 7:33:50 PM EST by emsjeep]
Originally Posted By strikemark:
Anyone know if someone who is legit employed as a "Certified Protection Professional" e.g. doing personal security - do they go through the same hassle/process as a civilian or is it more stream-lined because of their employer? E.g. do the legit private security companies have ways to get people permits more easily than civilians?

Yes. Not only licenses but peace officer status for assault weapons and standard capacity magazines.
BushBoar
Hated Divorce Lawyer
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2012 3:53:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By rkbar15:

Originally Posted By fp1201:

And bank messengers, security guards, private detectives, jewelers, diamond dealers and a host of other NYS non-residents who have a business/employment relationship in the county where the application for a CCL is made.

Huh. Never seen it. Probably not much call for it up here like there is downstate.

45stops-em-quick
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2012 4:01:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By emsjeep:

Yes. Not only licenses but peace officer status for assault weapons and standard capacity magazines.

Can you elaborate, and provide examples? I've heard these rumors here, but never in real life. The closest thing example that I could find is some quasi private entities like the Metropolitan Museum of Art getting their guards "Special Patrolman" status. Special Patrolman exist only in NYC though, and I've only heard of that status being given to guards at hospitals, museums, etc.
A 230 grain hardball beats a major league fastball no matter who's pitching.
emsjeep
3L
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/24/2012 1:48:58 PM EST
Originally Posted By 45stops-em-quick:

Can you elaborate, and provide examples? I've heard these rumors here, but never in real life. The closest thing example that I could find is some quasi private entities like the Metropolitan Museum of Art getting their guards "Special Patrolman" status. Special Patrolman exist only in NYC though, and I've only heard of that status being given to guards at hospitals, museums, etc.

One of my friends showed up with a new Glock and a 15 rd mag one day, we worked out that this is what had happened behind the scenes from his new employer. Lived outside of NYC, but I believe it was a NYC based company.
secamp32
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/25/2012 6:37:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By 45stops-em-quick:

NYC Special Patrolman can not carry on their shield. They need a pistol permit.
Trader
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/26/2012 5:00:25 AM EST
Many years ago I shot with a group of Canadians and they all had NY carry permits.Chautauqua Co judge , whoever he was 30 years
ago issued them.
fp1201
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/27/2012 9:23:04 AM EST
Originally Posted By Trader:
Many years ago I shot with a group of Canadians and they all had NY carry permits.Chautauqua Co judge , whoever he was 30 years
ago issued them.

I'm not surprised; Trap Shooting was/is very big in the Northern & Western parts of the State. The old-timers from the Team I used to shoot with often spoke of going to Clubs in Canada and them coming to the States to shoot in the Leagues, of course that was at least 20 years ago.
(There are at least 15 Clubs with Trap Teams in Jefferson, Lewis, and St. Lawrence Counties)
IN NOMINE PATRIS ET FILII ET SPIRITUS SANCTI
The Lord is my Sheppard, and I his Sheepdog.
Firearms Expert
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2