Author
Posted: 4/19/2012 7:53:09 AM
[Last Edit: 4/19/2012 7:53:09 AM by Lancelot]
Have a AR 15 223 and a AR 10 308. I've read the NY laws and it looks as if I need to change the gas block on the 223 to get rid of the bayonet lug.
Also need to swap out the flash hiders for brakes. Obviously 20 & 30 shot magazines are a no no.

Questions:

The AR 15 lower (Plum Crazy) has a colapsible stock. How can I make it legal ? Pin and epoxy glue come to mind.

Brownells has a lot of brakes. I've read the BATF has "certified" some as just brakes, not flash hiders. Anyone know which ones are OK ?

Any help, most appreciated !
FMD
The Centaur's Spareribs™
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2012 11:15:31 PM
Basically just turn the clock back to January 1995.

The stock must be fixed. A collapsible will need to be pinned. As an alternative, a Sully stock works well.

No bayo lug allowed, but that's an easy fix: just cut it off.

Flash hiders are a no-no, but more importantly, any muzzle brake you put on must be pinned and welded/silver soldered on in a permanent fashion.

Any preban lower can have these evil features, and preban mags are okay as well.

<=hunts the family farm with an AR in the lower tier.
"I want to be just like you when I grow up" - glenn_r
AR15JoeL
MOLON LABE
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2012 11:19:27 PM
[Last Edit: 4/19/2012 4:53:38 AM by Aimless]
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Joe
NRA Life Member
Iowa
snaggletooth1925
Its beautiful man BEAUTIFUL!!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2012 11:52:26 PM
Dont have to switch the gas block you can simply grind off the bayo lug if you dont mind it not looking perfect. You could send the rifle to ADCO to have a stock pinned and a brake permanently attached.

As far as brakes go I havent heard of any being certified and most people go with reputable ones that are marketed as brakes. The newest thing that gets lots of good mention is the Battle comp and the spikes tactical dynacomp. Ill be getting the dyna comp as most people think it works just as well as the battle comp but half the price.
$ň@ĢĢLĕŦ%Ŧĥ
bhouse1545
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/18/2012 10:34:26 PM
[Last Edit: 4/19/2012 4:53:12 AM by Aimless]
"Stupid is as Stupid does" -Forrest Gump
"Courage is grace under pressure" - Ernest Hemingway
Adirondack1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 9:17:17 AM
PREBAN 15 LOWER AND KEEP ALL THE EVIL FEATURES BEFORE YOU MOVE. nEUTER THE ar10 ONLY.
Bushmaster1984
team member. OIF/OEF veteran
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 3:17:44 PM
send it to ADCO, tell them you need all AWB mods done I did this before I came to NY
My homestate of New Hampshire, is an Island of Libertarian freedom in a region of the country where progressive insanity has gone wild.

LIVE FREE OR DIE!!!!

shiky
Give them nothing, but take from them everything
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 5:36:20 PM
i'm curious to know what aimless edited out..
God made all men, but Samuel Colt made them equal.

Originally Posted By Lumpy196:
Shakespeare is good. Shakespeare with automatic weapons is fucking awesome.
RabidMonkeyPox
The Heretic the Beast
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 7:24:06 PM
Originally Posted By shiky:
i'm curious to know what aimless edited out..

usual remark, probably derogatory to someone coming to ny, yada yada rinse repeat.

Also to the OP, if your still reading this thread, make sure there is not a threaded barrel, your muzzle brake needs to be pin and welded
I am the Vile

The Glory goes to the Gory
I cooked her in the oven and brought her to my room to eat. What a tasty piece of ass she was.
Silverbulletz06
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 9:32:22 PM
OP, figure out what length you want from your collapsible and find the stock (A2, A1, or fixed carbine length like the ARFX) and just buy that.
WTF is up with this bullshit anti-bayo lug crap. Was there a group of irrate japanese guys bonzai charging disabled school children and puppies that I wasn't aware of?
deadmanmike
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/19/2012 10:31:44 PM
I've only used one muzzle brake that didn't piss me and the shooters around me off and that is the BattleComp. While they're pricey, they're well worth it IMHO
Shqype
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2012 12:03:47 PM
Originally Posted By deadmanmike:
I've only used one muzzle brake that didn't piss me and the shooters around me off and that is the BattleComp. While they're pricey, they're well worth it IMHO

Are you sure these (and the DynaComps) aren't considered flash suppressors by the ATF? I don't recall seeing a letter about it ...
thirsty
...does my cack still work?
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/20/2012 1:21:49 PM
Originally Posted By Shqype:
Originally Posted By deadmanmike:

Are you sure these (and the DynaComps) aren't considered flash suppressors by the ATF? I don't recall seeing a letter about it ...

I haven't seen a letter on the Miculek brake, Izzy comp or any of the other plethora of muzzle brakes on the market except for the PWS stuff, and only then does the letter matter because of the compensator design as it is meant to stifle some flash.

The Dynacomp and BattleComp are both classical muzzle brakes, complete with an expansion chamber, gas release ports and a closed end. They are not flash hiders. I don't need a letter from the ATF to prove it.

If The Man in NYS decides he wants to crawl up your ass and set up base camp, there's not much a letter is going to do for you at that point. The likelihood that your choice of muzzle brake is going to trigger base-camp-setting-up-in-your-anus is slim to none.
NRA Certified Basic Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
"Passion without introspection is rarely convincing." ~Mike Rowe
Shqype
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/22/2012 11:25:56 AM
Somebody told me that the Battlecomp 1.0 and 1.5 are legal brakes, but the Battlecomp 2.0 is not, because it "has a smaller OD." Any idea what that means?
USMC6177
Ever shoot a XM218 nekked?
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/23/2012 3:27:31 PM
Originally Posted By Shqype:
Somebody told me that the Battlecomp 1.0 and 1.5 are legal brakes, but the Battlecomp 2.0 is not, because it "has a smaller OD." Any idea what that means?

It has to do with the ability to mount a rifle grenade IIRC. One of the more fucking retarded things that were part of the AWB
rocketcity1
Link To This Post
Posted: 4/24/2012 12:11:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Nothing on either rifle is Pre ban.

An LE friend (upstate) tells me that there has yet to be a prosecution under the NYS ban as it is so vague.

The AR 10 is fine as long as I change the flash hider to a brake (silver soldered on) and I hide all my 20/30 round magazines until the great collapse.

The AR 15 needs a new gas block with a rail on it to replace the current one where the laser mounts on the bayonet lug with an adapter.
Replace flash hider with soldered on brake and hide all high cap mags other than the pre ban Colts I own.

Glad to do it as I know these laws have reduced crime in NY to almost zero ........... certainly ZERO crimes with firearms ...... right ?