Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2012 3:53:09 AM EDT
Have a AR 15 223 and a AR 10 308. I've read the NY laws and it looks as if I need to change the gas block on the 223 to get rid of the bayonet lug.
Also need to swap out the flash hiders for brakes. Obviously 20 & 30 shot magazines are a no no.

Questions:

The AR 15 lower (Plum Crazy) has a colapsible stock. How can I make it legal ? Pin and epoxy glue come to mind.

Brownells has a lot of brakes. I've read the BATF has "certified" some as just brakes, not flash hiders. Anyone know which ones are OK ?

Any help, most appreciated !
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Basically just turn the clock back to January 1995.

The stock must be fixed.  A collapsible will need to be pinned.  As an alternative, a Sully stock works well.

No bayo lug allowed, but that's an easy fix: just cut it off.

Flash hiders are a no-no, but more importantly, any muzzle brake you put on must be pinned and welded/silver soldered on in a permanent fashion.

Any preban lower can have these evil features, and preban mags are okay as well.

<=hunts the family farm with an AR in the lower tier.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Dont have to switch the gas block you can simply grind off the bayo lug if you dont mind it not looking perfect. You could send the rifle to ADCO to have a stock pinned and a brake permanently attached.

As far as brakes go I havent heard of any being certified and most people go with reputable ones that are marketed as brakes. The newest thing that gets lots of good mention is the Battle comp and the spikes tactical dynacomp. Ill be getting the dyna comp as most people think it works just as well as the battle comp but half the price.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:17:17 AM EDT
[#5]
PREBAN 15 LOWER AND KEEP ALL THE EVIL FEATURES BEFORE YOU MOVE. nEUTER THE ar10 ONLY.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 11:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]
send it to ADCO, tell them you need all AWB mods done I did this before I came to NY
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#7]
i'm curious to know what aimless edited out..
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 3:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
i'm curious to know what aimless edited out..

usual remark, probably derogatory to someone coming to ny, yada yada rinse repeat.

Also to the OP, if your still reading this thread, make sure there is not a threaded barrel, your muzzle brake needs to be pin and welded
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 5:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
OP, figure out what length you want from your collapsible and find the stock (A2, A1, or fixed carbine length like the ARFX) and just buy that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I've only used one muzzle brake that didn't piss me and the shooters around me off and that is the BattleComp. While they're pricey, they're well worth it IMHO
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've only used one muzzle brake that didn't piss me and the shooters around me off and that is the BattleComp. While they're pricey, they're well worth it IMHO

Are you sure these (and the DynaComps) aren't considered flash suppressors by the ATF?  I don't recall seeing a letter about it ...
Link Posted: 4/20/2012 9:21:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you sure these (and the DynaComps) aren't considered flash suppressors by the ATF?  I don't recall seeing a letter about it ...

I haven't seen a letter on the Miculek brake, Izzy comp or any of the other plethora of muzzle brakes on the market except for the PWS stuff, and only then does the letter matter because of the compensator design as it is meant to stifle some flash.  

The Dynacomp and BattleComp are both classical muzzle brakes, complete with an expansion chamber, gas release ports and a closed end.  They are not flash hiders.  I don't need a letter from the ATF to prove it.

If The Man in NYS decides he wants to crawl up your ass and set up base camp, there's not much a letter is going to do for you at that point.  The likelihood that your choice of muzzle brake is going to trigger base-camp-setting-up-in-your-anus is slim to none.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 7:25:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Somebody told me that the Battlecomp 1.0 and 1.5 are legal brakes, but the Battlecomp 2.0 is not, because it "has a smaller OD."  Any idea what that means?
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Somebody told me that the Battlecomp 1.0 and 1.5 are legal brakes, but the Battlecomp 2.0 is not, because it "has a smaller OD."  Any idea what that means?

It has to do with the ability to mount a rifle grenade IIRC.  One of the more fucking retarded things that were part of the AWB
Link Posted: 4/24/2012 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info. Nothing on either rifle is Pre ban.

An LE friend (upstate) tells me that there has yet to be a prosecution under the NYS ban as it is so vague.

The AR 10 is fine as long as I change the flash hider to a brake (silver soldered on) and I hide all my 20/30 round magazines until the great collapse.

The AR 15 needs a new gas block with a rail on it to replace the current one where the laser mounts on the bayonet lug with an adapter.
Replace flash hider with soldered on brake and hide all high cap mags other than the pre ban Colts I own.

Glad to do it as I know these laws have reduced crime in NY to almost zero ........... certainly ZERO crimes with firearms ...... right ?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top