Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2012 7:30:15 PM EDT
i have a bushmaster ar-15, if i move to NY, legal options?

1) with 30 round detachable mag, cut off bayonet lug, pinned 4-position stock, keep grip, bird cage flash hider removed (put a permanent muzzle brake)

2) bullet button with everything else intact?

thanks

(btw i am not sure is 30 round mag legal in NY?)
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i have a bushmaster ar-15, if i move to NY, legal options?

1) with 30 round detachable mag, cut off bayonet lug, pinned 4-position stock, keep grip, bird cage flash hider removed (put a permanent muzzle brake)

2) bullet button with everything else intact?

thanks

(btw i am not sure is 30 round mag legal in NY?)

No need for a bullet button. They aren't a way around the law anyway.

Only preban magazines are allowed to be over 10 rounds. You can use preban magazines in any AR15, preban or post ban.
Everything else you said sounds like a ban compliant AR15. Just make sure your brake is a brake and permanently affixed per ATF guidelines.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:05:46 PM EDT
[#2]
sounds like you have the legalities covered- no collapsible stocks /no bayonet lugs/ no flash suppressors or threaded muzzles(unless muzzle brake permanently attached) if your lower was made prior to 9-14-94 then all the above do not apply.
All magazines made after 9-14-94 can be max capacity of 10 rounds.
FYI if you were to move be aware you are not allowed to even possess a handgun in NY without a permit. If you own handguns your only option is to leave them behind until you get a ny pistol permit at which time they can be shipped to an ffl in NY where they can be picked up after getting added to your permit. In NY every handgun is listed by serial number on your permit.(in some localities it is not even possible to get a permit until you have lived here a period of time,and the requirement for character references pretty much kills it for new comers anyway)
in all honesty unless you need to move most here would suggest gun owners not move here. The only time I see it sensible is if you must due to relocation in a federal job or military assignment. outside of that they better be paying you over 100 grand a year to give up your gun rights.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#3]
ps in all honesty the easiest thing if this is temporary is to store all your ban stuff and buy all compliant stuff for while you are her. if a permanent move, sell all your ban stuff and buy complaint
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:22:48 PM EDT
[#4]
THE BULLET BUTTON IS NOT NY LEGAL. Jesus this needs to be stickied or something.
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#5]
ok if i have to move, i sell all my 30round mags, and buy some 10 mags, should be good?

also i am thinking just remove the birdcage and file off the thread, would that be good enough? (i think i don't need muzzle brake, the bushmaster seems to be more of a butt jumper than muzzle jumper anyway, odd i know)
Link Posted: 2/22/2012 9:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Shop around before you get to NY and buy a preban gun. Taht way you can keep all the features you want.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 3:36:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
THE BULLET BUTTON IS NOT NY LEGAL. Jesus this needs to be stickied or something.

how is it not if it disables the detachable mag feature?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it does not disable the detachable mag feature. The whole point of a bullet button is, is that you cant use your finger to release the mag, but if you stick the tip of a bullet in it the mag comes out, making it a detachable mag..
If you can get the mag out of the gun without totally destroying either the mag or the gun, it is then a detachable mag. /end/

Fuck! I wasted posted #1000 on this?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 6:35:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because it does not disable the detachable mag feature. The whole point of a bullet button is, is that you cant use your finger to release the mag, but if you stick the tip of a bullet in it the mag comes out, making it a detachable mag..
If you can get the mag out of the gun without totally destroying either the mag or the gun, it is then a detachable mag. /end/

Fuck! I wasted posted #1000 on this?

you seem really upset about that. do you need a hug? you need a hug dont ya? lol

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:30:44 AM EDT
[#10]
i read on some post there's a definition of "detachable magazine" for NY law similar to CA but didn't get to vote... so it's gray area

i assume i can take all my m193 ammo and scopes with me right?

i do have a handgun but i don't plan to go through the hassle to get permit so may sell it, but i can bring handgun ammo with me?
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:38:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I think you need to restate that.

The bullet button is legal to have in NY. It does not make the mag non-detachable thus removing that "evil feature."

The mag is still detachable. The Bullet Button has everything to do with Kommiefornia's definition/legalese of "readily detachable." Applicable there, but not here.

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 7:57:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Or you can take off your uppers and set them aside and get postban uppers. Not illegal to keep preban config uppers as long they're not merged with postban lowers.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ok if i have to move, i sell all my 30round mags, and buy some 10 mags, should be good?

also i am thinking just remove the birdcage and file off the thread, would that be good enough? (i think i don't need muzzle brake, the bushmaster seems to be more of a butt jumper than muzzle jumper anyway, odd i know)

You can keep your 30rd mags, as long as they're preban which aren't hard to find. If you have a birdcage flash hider on the gun then it's illegal. Flash hiders are illegal, you're allowed to have a muzzle brake if it's permanently attached (pinned and welded). If you don't want a muzzle brake and just want a crowned barrel it'd be best to send it out to someone to permanently attach a thread saver.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 1:05:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Check your bushy serial number first, if it's preban you can have the evil features on it (collapsible stock, bayo lug etc)
and preban 30rounders are good to go in NYS.
(not sure about NYC, that's totally diff area when it comes to the black rifle and AWB)

Link Posted: 2/23/2012 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks all
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top