Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/9/2011 6:58:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Even though I want a FAL, an HK would be awesome! Does anyone know what it would take to build one?

They are a bit more complicated than an AK, FAL, etc. The receivers have to be bent from flats and then welded together. The front trunnion of HKs also need to be welded into the receiver.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Ill do a HK
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ill do a HK

I'm down for an HK build in the spring then. Any preference as to which model HK? I'll purchase any jigs/specialty tools needed over the winter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2011 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont know anything about HK so what ever you think would be best.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#5]
A 1919A4 is calling my name so I think I'm going to see if there is any interest in doing a build for those. They would be cheaper and a LOT easier than a HK. Let me know if you would be interested in building a 1919.

Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A 1919A4 is calling my name so I think I'm going to see if there is any interest in doing a build for those. They would be cheaper and a LOT easier than a HK. Let me know if you would be interested in building a 1919.

http://www.johntlambert.com/1919a4large.jpg

I still have a Bren kit sitting in my basement from the last time we were going to do a build party. I found a couple people that would build it for around $1600. That includes new barrel, parked, 922r parts and converting the firing system from open bolt. I just never got around to doing it even though it would be an amazing gun.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have a Bren kit sitting in my basement from the last time we were going to do a build party. I found a couple people that would build it for around $1600. That includes new barrel, parked, 922r parts and converting the firing system from open bolt. I just never got around to doing it even though it would be an amazing gun.

I remember when you bought that. That was a few years ago right? If I ever decide to do a Bren build I'll send you a message and maybe we can do a mini build party.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:13:30 PM EDT
[#8]
i'm relatively new to this but what is a build party?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You purchase a parts kit, a receiver, and a few misc. small parts. You show up at the location of the build party and spend the day building a firearm. When you leave at the end of the day you have a functioning firearm you built yourself.

Here is a thread from the AK build party we did over the summer. Pics are on page 40.

http://nyshooters.net/forum/showthread.php?2579-AK-Build-Party-July-17th-2011/page40
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:02:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember when you bought that. That was a few years ago right? If I ever decide to do a Bren build I'll send you a message and maybe we can do a mini build party.

I found a guy that will build it up. My cuts are clean, there are very few kits like that any more. Also there is only 3 people who build up Brens. Project Guns (I heard they were terrible, a fellow arfcomer used them and had nothing but problems and PG told him to piss up a rope), Historic Arms LLC (The best in the business is around $1800 or so, He includes a brand new barrel rather than dicking with the old ones), and the third is Wise Lite (however, they are inundated with RPD builds). It is a pretty involved build, nothing I feel like doing myself.

Even if I paid Historic firearms the $1800-$2K they want I am still about $500 below the $3K mark.
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You purchase a parts kit, a receiver, and a few misc. small parts. You show up at the location of the build party and spend the day building a firearm. When you leave at the end of the day you have a functioning firearm you built yourself.

Here is a thread from the AK build party we did over the summer. Pics are on page 40.

http://nyshooters.net/forum/showthread.php?2579-AK-Build-Party-July-17th-2011/page40

looks like fun.  so what's the details on the latest build party?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like fun.  so what's the details on the latest build party?

I think 1919 kits would be a great build, who doesn't like a little belt fed action? I just have to see if there is enough interest to do a build party or if this will be a solo build.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 4:00:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I found a guy that will build it up. My cuts are clean, there are very few kits like that any more. Also there is only 3 people who build up Brens. Project Guns (I heard they were terrible, a fellow arfcomer used them and had nothing but problems and PG told him to piss up a rope), Historic Arms LLC (The best in the business is around $1800 or so, He includes a brand new barrel rather than dicking with the old ones), and the third is Wise Lite (however, they are inundated with RPD builds). It is a pretty involved build, nothing I feel like doing myself.

Even if I paid Historic firearms the $1800-$2K they want I am still about $500 below the $3K mark.

Suck it up, stop being a pussy and build that fucking thing.  I want to shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 6:56:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Some nice pics from your AK build, would of been great to be there just for the education.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#15]
An AK build would def be cool, shit building any of these rifles would kick ass, lol
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 12:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
An AK build would def be cool, shit building any of these rifles would kick ass, lol

I've had 3-4 people that have told me they want to do an AK build because they missed the one this past summer. It is definitely something we can throw together in the spring or maybe even this winter if I can find a reliable heat source for my shop.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suck it up, stop being a pussy and build that fucking thing.  I want to shoot it.

PERSONAL ATTACK!!! Nah, I will get to it. I really want to shoot it too. Only problem is A) the expense of the actual build B) the ammo....
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I got a buddy heater with a 20lbs tank lol...

I would be intervested in a AK build party, I would also be intervested in a build party around the 500-800 (parts) I dont have 2k to drop on a build party sry
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 7:14:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got a buddy heater with a 20lbs tank lol...

I would be intervested in a AK build party, I would also be intervested in a build party around the 500-800 (parts) I dont have 2k to drop on a build party sry

I'll definitely get some type of AK build setup in early to mid spring, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 8:01:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I am def in for an AK build, what types could we build? Not that I know too much about Ak's but are we talking just the standard AK-47 or 74 or??
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am def in for an AK build, what types could we build? Not that I know too much about Ak's but are we talking just the standard AK-47 or 74 or??

Pretty much any stamped AK kit you can find. At the last build party we had both AK47s, AK74s, and even a PSL. My shop isn't insulated so heating it isn't very efficient or else I'd host a winter build party.
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 10:05:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I will build anything and I can wear a coat to keep me warm. Anything anytime.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much any stamped AK kit you can find. At the last build party we had both AK47s, AK74s, and even a PSL. My shop isn't insulated so heating it isn't very efficient or else I'd host a winter build party.

How big is shop?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How big is shop?

It looks to be a NICE size shop from the pics i have seen...i'm jealous

Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:32:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How big is shop?

800 sq. ft.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 7:40:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Kero World KW-24G 23,000-BTU Indoor Portable Convection Kerosene Heater

Would that work?
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Kero World KW-24G 23,000-BTU Indoor Portable Convection Kerosene Heater

Would that work?

I'm thinking I need more like 200,000 BTU to heat the area up from 30 degrees to 65.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 1:41:37 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm up for another ak build or an HK build.
Link Posted: 11/3/2011 11:19:59 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm thinking an AK-74 would be the ticket because I already own a Sar1. Too bad we have to stick with fixed stock, just LOVE NYS.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:07:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm working on setting up an AK build for late January for anyone that is interested. If you are interested let me know.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I am intervested in a build as long as another few long islanders I know are willing to car-pool up there.

Link Posted: 11/20/2011 6:19:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I am intervested in a build as long as another few long islanders I know are willing to car-pool up there.

Car pooling sounds good, and I can go for an AK. What type of $$$ are we talking about? I gotta check my January work schedule to see when I'm off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2011 7:26:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Car pooling sounds good, and I can go for an AK. What type of $$$ are we talking about? I gotta check my January work schedule to see when I'm off.

Cost will depend on what you want to do. If you just want a "budget" AK I think you can build them for around $400. If you want a rare(r) kit or something a bit better quality (chrome lined barrel, NDS "Premium" receiver, etc.) the cost will obviously be a bit more. Anytime January to February will work for me. We're going to want to keep to kits that already have barrels installed though. Dealing with virgin barrels, etc. makes it very tough to build more than a few guns in a day. As long as it is an AK platform weapon though we can build it at the party. I know a few people I've spoke with are thinking of doing PSLs.

I'll have the park tanks running all day so everyone should leave with a functioning and refinished firearm.

If there are a handful of people that definitely want to do a build we can throw out some dates and get something set in stone.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#34]
I have budgeted myself to 1000$ for the whole trip gun gas food ect. I do not have a preference on which build it is as long as within budget. (or slightly out) I can change my work around for whatever day(s).
Freebeer.
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:01:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have budgeted myself to 1000$ for the whole trip gun gas food ect. I do not have a preference on which build it is as long as within budget. (or slightly out) I can change my work around for whatever day(s).
Freebeer.

An AK build would only take about half of that budget leaving you with money to do another build in the Summer!
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Damn, I just checked my January work schedule and I'm off Mondays thru Wednesdays rotating And I have a huge kerosene bullet heater I could bring too.. I dont get my weekends back until March..
Link Posted: 11/21/2011 1:01:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Damn, I just checked my January work schedule and I'm off Mondays thru Wednesdays rotating And I have a huge kerosene bullet heater I could bring too.. I dont get my weekends back until March..

Anytime during the Winter works for me. If people don't want to do a build until early March to save up some cash after the holidays that is fine. I'm grabbing a heater for the building some time next week so heat shouldn't be a problem with 200K BTU!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:52:36 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#39]

those look nice!
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#40]
So if I was to get said kit do i need to FFL it or just FFL the upper receiver?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So if I was to get said kit do i need to FFL it or just FFL the upper receiver?

Just the receiver has to be sent to a FFL.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#42]
ok thats what I thought. Now I have to find a pretty receiver. Anyone know of any before I search? I havent decided which AK or FAL yet. But I think I am going to buy this kit anyways.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 9:55:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ok thats what I thought. Now I have to find a pretty receiver. Anyone know of any before I search? I havent decided which AK or FAL yet. But I think I am going to buy this kit anyways.

Coonan for your FAL receiver.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#44]
http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/LAR_3_ARGIE_CH_ASSY/cPath,7

A cool website. I had never heard of it before. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't see a locking shoulder in the FAL kit, so you probably won't be able to test fire your rifle same day (Unless you luck out and someone brings the right LS out of their spare parts bin.
the FAL build is by far the easiest.

I'll dig thru my parts and see if I have any LS, I may have given some to FP1201.

You will need to also buy 922r parts including at least 6 US made parts for FED compliance and a US made muzzle brake for that kit to silver soldier on to make NYS compliance.

Check with these guys for locking shoulders and compliance parts: GUNTHINGS

PS if you buy a Coonan Receiver, they count toward your US parts count! Wonderful receivers, I'll take Coonan over DSA anyday of the week!

Parts also US made for 922r compliance:
Receiver
Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Pistol Grip
Stock
Forends
Gas Piston
Muzzle brake
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#46]
So, after reading through this whole thread I only have two questions.
1] Other than the head space gauges and an assortment of locking shoulders, is there anything specific needed to home build an FAL? I have a metric FAL receiver but may buy a new one (A Coonan) for the Argentine Kit if that's the way I go.

Quoted:

2] What the fuck is "intervested"? Not a typo because it's spelled that way in every one of Noarguy's posts where he uses the word.

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#47]
A couple of us have action wrenches, headspace gauges, and a big friggin vice, there are a couple ways to make sure your front sights align to top dead center, so if you have the parts (including your 922r) we have the tools.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:21:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't see a locking shoulder in the FAL kit, so you probably won't be able to test fire your rifle same day (Unless you luck out and someone brings the right LS out of their spare parts bin.

I'll dig thru my parts and see if I have any LS, I may have given some to FP1201.

You will need to also buy 922r parts including at least 6 US made parts for FED compliance and a US made muzzle brake for that kit to silver soldier on to make NYS compliance.

PS if you buy a Coonan Receiver, they count toward your US parts count! Wonderful receivers, I'll take Coonan over DSA anyday of the week!

Receiver
Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Pistol Grip
Stock
Forends
Gas Piston
Muzzle brake

barrel too, correct?

I'm waiting on some Coonan L1A1 british style.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Receiver
Hammer
Trigger
Sear
Pistol Grip
Stock
Forends
Gas Piston
Muzzle brake

barrel too, correct?

I'm waiting on some Coonan L1A1 british style.

Yep US made barrel counts as one part too.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#50]
So I take it that Imbel receiver's aren't the ticket anymore, lol. I don't think I have been on my Falfiles account in 10 years. I do remember downloading a Fal build manual from that site, now I have to find it again because building a FAL is def. in my future. Is there a place for good kits or just the EE and Gunbroker?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top