Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/3/2011 6:23:47 PM EDT
I know a few people wanted me to give them a heads up if another build party were to happen so I'll post this to see if anyone here is interested in a FAL build during late Fall (Oct./Nov.).
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I can get into a FAL.. How much $$ we talking and how far a ride for us LI boys..
Link Posted: 8/3/2011 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can get into a FAL.. How much $$ we talking and how far a ride for us LI boys..

$400 - $500 for a parts kit. The $500 parts kits are in excellent condition and come with an original barrel. FAL receivers are $350. I hosted the AK build @ my house and can do so for a FAL build too.

Google maps says 5 hours from Manhattan to Springwater. 2 people came from LI for the AK build and liked it enough to want to make the trip back for another build.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#3]
5 hours is a trip for sure. Is there a spot to test up there too?
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
5 hours is a trip for sure. Is there a spot to test up there too?

Within close proximity.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I saw the AK build-wish I could have made it. I wouldn't mind an FAL if the funds are there. Whats a good place to pick up parts kits/receivers? Any group buys? What is needed on my end? I do need a new hunting rifle....they make 5rd FAL mags right? Haha
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I saw the AK build-wish I could have made it. I wouldn't mind an FAL if the funds are there. Whats a good place to pick up parts kits/receivers? Any group buys? What is needed on my end? I do need a new hunting rifle....they make 5rd FAL mags right? Haha

If the items were bought as a single order some money could be saved. If you buy 3 or more kits from Sarco they knock $25 off each kit. I can order the receivers in a single order and transfer them in for free so this would save the cost of a FFL transfer fee.

Aside from bringing the parts to build the gun with not much else would be needed. I'm ordering the barrel wrench and gauges when I get back from vacation so I should have everything that is needed.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
So... Question about the AK builds.

Are you guys getting reciver blanks and making them that way? How does that work with the S/N ect.

FAL could be cool too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So... Question about the AK builds.

Are you guys getting reciver blanks and making them that way? How does that work with the S/N ect.

FAL could be cool too.

For the AK everyone used Nodak Spud receivers. We had around 10 kits being built I believe and we finished at 5:30pm. If we would had bent flats we never would had finished in the same day.

FYI, if you ever do decide to build your own AK from a flat you don't need serial numbers on the gun as long as you never sell it. Obviously you can't build an AK with the intention of reselling it as an individual anyways.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#9]
End of November would be perfect if you plan on doing it on a weekend. I'm in my weekends now and don't get weekends back until the last 2 weeks in November/all of December. (work schedule)
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 2:31:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
End of November would be perfect if you plan on doing it on a weekend. I'm in my weekends now and don't get weekends back until the last 2 weeks in November/all of December. (work schedule)

I have nothing going on in Oct/Nov so just about any weekend works for me. If there's definitely interest in a FAL build we can finalize a date in the next couple of weeks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:25:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to own another FAL and would be interested in a build party. I do not have that much build experience and would like to learn. I love in Clifton Park Saratoga county. So are you buying the kits and receivers and transferring them that day? I think that is what I understood from reading.
Freebeer

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would love to own another FAL and would be interested in a build party. I do not have that much build experience and would like to learn. I love in Clifton Park Saratoga county. So are you buying the kits and receivers and transferring them that day? I think that is what I understood from reading.
Freebeer

Basically once details were finalized we could either purchase kits separate or we could order them as a group and get them for $525 instead of $550 from Sarco. The kits would have to be paid for before I ordered them, if we had 10 people interested I don't want to set on $5500 worth of kits hoping that all 10 people show up an pay for them! Similar thing for the receivers, I can order them and transfer them in for free so this would save $25-35 or whatever your FFL charges for a transfer fee.

The FAL build seems pretty straight forward. It should leave us with plenty of time to parkerize them before everyone leaves.

Link Posted: 8/4/2011 10:00:01 PM EDT
[#13]
OK I agree. I wouldn't want to be left with that happening to me. Do you have the link to the kits and I think that the receiver would be easier to get from you the day of if that's a option. Sounds like fun and I am already excited even though there is not a day set yet.
Freebeer
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 5:33:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK I agree. I wouldn't want to be left with that happening to me. Do you have the link to the kits and I think that the receiver would be easier to get from you the day of if that's a option. Sounds like fun and I am already excited even though there is not a day set yet.
Freebeer

Here's a thread I have with other people who are interested, it has the link to the kits and receivers. I'll get the 922(r) info added to that thread tonight when I get home. I'm leaving for the ADK Sunday morning until Thursday or Friday but once I get back I will finalize dates.

Once we have a date finalized we can work on the details of doing a group buy on kits/receivers to save money.

FAL Build Party Info
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#15]
looks good I will probably not put a muzzle device on until I get home and give it to my old Fal buddy. He has worked on my and made it absolutely beautiful and i would like him to do the muzzle device welding. If thats ok? Those prices look good and I would love to add a Argentine build to my collection.
Freebeer
Link Posted: 8/5/2011 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Do you have to gave a threaded muzzle on the fal..I would rather not have one on at all..
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have always wanted a FAL...I'd be interested in a build party!
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do you have to gave a threaded muzzle on the fal..I would rather not have one on at all..

I'm not sure if the kits have a pressed on or threaded on muzzle device.
Link Posted: 8/6/2011 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'll post some dates that work for me once I get back home on Friday and then we can go from there!
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#20]
have fun in the ADK
Link Posted: 8/7/2011 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll post some dates that work for me once I get back home on Friday and then we can go from there!

sounds good! enjoy your trip!
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 11:51:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Just want to confirm that there is still interest. If so I"ll work on some dates this weekend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:16:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Not sure waiting to see the date, what was the deal about you can't build it and then sell it
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:17:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Wish I had the money for this I've always wanted a FAL
Link Posted: 8/20/2011 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not sure waiting to see the date, what was the deal about you can't build it and then sell it

You can't build it with the intention to sell it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Just read this thread.   I'd love to go, assuming I'm available!

Let me address a couple topics I remember being presented:

1.  The Sarco kits are Argentine and are basically new.   That means they are tight fitting, and have some burrs, etc.   They are actually harder to build than from an old beat-up kit because of the tight tolerances.

That said,  the Sarco kits are pristine and need no refinish work.   Some parts may be parkerized and some paint over park.  

The Sarco kit barrels are threaded.  NO muzzle attachment is provided with the kit.   You know what this means for NYS.   You can chop the threads (ugh!) or go on FAL FIles.com and find a ban-compliant MB which you'll have to drill and pin, then refinish.

2.  A great kit to use is an Imbel, they go for about $400 on GB.   Carried a lot, shot little.  Slap together at its finest.   They do exibit a lot of external wear though, so you'll want to blast, park and paint.

3.  FALs are hard to 100% "finish" on-site because they use a locking shoulder to headspace.  The chance of the one in your kit, if you get one, being correct is about 10%.   So typically you'll want a supply of locking shoulder on hand, as well as the guages to see which ones you need.

Except for the locking shoulder, FALs slap together like leggos.
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 6:20:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Im still down for the build party. I have a butt stock tool also. What are you thinking for dates?
Link Posted: 8/22/2011 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Im still down for the build party. I have a butt stock tool also. What are you thinking for dates?

The beginning of November would work for me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2011 4:51:48 AM EDT
[#29]
This guy has three Imbel kits....the best way to get into an FAL build.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=315970

Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Set a weekend date and ill make sure I have it off and buy the kit. Should I get the receiver sent to a FFL by me or will you buy them and transfer them. I can send funds to you so you don't have to front monies. Can't wait to have another FAL.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 2:32:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Set a weekend date and ill make sure I have it off and buy the kit. Should I get the receiver sent to a FFL by me or will you buy them and transfer them. I can send funds to you so you don't have to front monies. Can't wait to have another FAL.

November 5th would work for me and it shouldn't be too cold, yet!

I can order them and transfer them in for free.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 4:47:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds good ill save the date.
Link Posted: 8/25/2011 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Sounds good ill save the date.

I'll have a more accurate number as to how many people want to build one by next week. Once I get that I'll get info on order the receivers, etc.
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 1:28:24 PM EDT
[#34]
beginning of November works for me too...
Link Posted: 9/6/2011 1:35:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
beginning of November works for me too...

How many people here would definitely be interested still? I want to do either a FAL or a RPK so I'm trying to decide which kit I'm going to purchase.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 9:37:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I already have a FAL. Would i be able to build a RPK because i think that would be fun to learn a new gun. I am still interested either way.
Link Posted: 9/14/2011 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#37]
RPK but would need some time to get parts and such..
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 6:31:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I already have a FAL. Would i be able to build a RPK because i think that would be fun to learn a new gun. I am still interested either way.

I have a RPK 47 kit that I'm going to be building over the winter. NoDak is suppose to do a run of RPK receivers so I'm waiting on that and hoping more new Romy RPK barrels hit the market again.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:12:17 PM EDT
[#39]
OK is this still a go? I am still in. What kit are we ordering?
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 8:30:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
OK is this still a go? I am still in. What kit are we ordering?

I'm thinking of putting a build off until Spring to see if we can get enough interest in doing one type of build. I have quite a few people interested but people want to do 3-4 different types of builds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 7:02:04 PM EDT
[#41]
If you want to do it Nov 12, I can bring FAL build tools.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Rich, gimmee an IM when you set something up.
I can probably make it now that I'm closer to your neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 6:07:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Rich, gimmee an IM when you set something up.
I can probably make it now that I'm closer to your neck of the woods.

I'll start another thread after the first of the year and we can figure out if there is enough interest for a build party.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 2:31:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Where are you guys from? Fal party would be great in the spring.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:07:29 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Where are you guys from? Fal party would be great in the spring.

I'm just south of Rochester.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 11:37:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Not to far from Lockport I would imagine then.
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#47]
About 45 minutes I think.
Link Posted: 10/7/2011 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#48]
Im in Clifton Park exit 10 on the northway which is 30 minutes north of albany. I am still a go for a build party and it doesnt matter what build it is.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:06:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Im in Clifton Park exit 10 on the northway which is 30 minutes north of albany. I am still a go for a build party and it doesnt matter what build it is.

I'm up to build anything even if it takes two days to build. A HK build would be kind of cool to do but I'm not sure how much interest there would be in a HK build. I know you can get HK33 kits relatively cheap. I believe the flats go for around $200.

Link Posted: 10/9/2011 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Even though I want a FAL, an HK would be awesome! Does anyone know what it would take to build one?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top