Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2009 8:19:11 PM EDT
Hey ARFCOM,

I am a resident of Ulster County and I just picked up the $5 pistol permit application.  I am almost finished getting everything notarized and filled out by my references.  I put for reason for licensure "All Legal Purposes" and am applying for unrestricted concealed carry.

I have a few questions about Ulster:

- I did an internship with ATF and did firearms training with them this summer - where should I put that?  I think it might influence the judge's decision.
- I heard that the county judges are not issuing concealed carry permits to average citizens - what should I tell the judge when I go for the meeting?  I am not LE or security, I just want my CCW.
- There is a safety course requirement - can this be fulfilled by the New York State Hunter Safety Course?  If not, how do I apply for the course?

If anyone can provide information about the judges, do's/don'ts I would appreciate it.  It seems like it's becoming impossible for law abiding citizens to protect themselves...

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 9/1/2009 11:57:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I heard that the county judges are not issuing concealed carry permits to average citizens.

Who gave you this tidbit of misinformation?  I live in Orange and have a concealed carry permit.  Bushman_269 should be along soon to fill you in on Ulster Co.

It all depends on what type of Judge you have.  Which is why the laws are retarded.

Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:44:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Ulster Co. was always one of the better counties for issuing unrestricted permits and the Judges gave the Sheriff's Office authority to issue amendments right at the counter.  Recently in speaking with a friend who teaches handgun classes in Pine Bush he indicated that Ulster Co. is now issuing restricted permits and requiring the Judges signature on all amendment requests.  I have no personal knowledge of the accuracy of these changes.  Best bet is to talk to Maureen at the Sheriff's Office Pistol Permit office for the straight scoop.  She would know the details.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 9:42:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess a change is coming to Ulster County, in the past permits were always unrestricted and adding a new gun was very quick; Hell I remember never even needing to meet with the judge
This past spring I signed on as a reference for a friend for her pistol permit, she received a letter on the first of Aug to set up a meeting with the judge. Well she just went for a her meeting last Friday, well as it turns out she never even met with the judge; she met with his Law Clerk instead and was told that the clerk has been conducting the pistol permit meetings. The clerk informed her that she would recommend to the sheriff’s dept to issue her the permit, but that it would more than likely be marked Hunting/Target.
I guess the shit tide has arrived in Ulster County as well….
I really miss judges like Mike Brun and Mike Kavenaugh.....Now we are stuck with these Democraps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 11:00:33 AM EDT
[#5]
When did this crap start? I got an amendment done in March at the counter.  When Judge Mary Work tried to pull these stunts, she was taken off of doing permits due to a large outcry from the pistol owning community. What has changed?
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got an amendment about a month ago. No judge needed.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 2:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I guess a change is coming to Ulster County, in the past permits were always unrestricted and adding a new gun was very quick; Hell I remember never even needing to meet with the judge
This past spring I signed on as a reference for a friend for her pistol permit, she received a letter on the first of Aug to set up a meeting with the judge. Well she just went for a her meeting last Friday, well as it turns out she never even met with the judge; she met with his Law Clerk instead and was told that the clerk has been conducting the pistol permit meetings. The clerk informed her that she would recommend to the sheriff’s dept to issue her the permit, but that it would more than likely be marked Hunting/Target.
I guess the shit tide has arrived in Ulster County as well….
I really miss judges like Mike Brun and Mike Kavenaugh.....Now we are stuck with these Democraps.

A guy i work just got his.permit and its restricted with Hunting/Target. Had to go infront of the judge also. Apperantey he was told that  there were some ccw permits and people with them were arrested for branishing the firearms. Dont know if this is the real case or not, but just what he told me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
To my knowledge, the free safety course offered by the UC federation is now required and all new permit applicants go before a judge. I don't think amendments require a judge visit at this point. There is a backlog for the course, but we are working to up the capacity.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

To my knowledge, the free safety course offered by the UC federation is now required and all new permit applicants go before a judge. I don't think amendments require a judge visit at this point. There is a backlog for the course, but we are working to up the capacity.

The course is not required, it is recommended.  And new applicants do not have to go in front of the judge.

(unless both have changed in the last few months)

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 6:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
New applicants do have to go in front of the judge now and have for almost 2 years now, I saw the letter requesting her to set up the meeting and spoke to Maurean in the permit office just this week when I went to add a handgun to my permit.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:33:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The course is not required, it is recommended.  And new applicants do not have to go in front of the judge.

(unless both have changed in the last few months)

Yes, it has changed in the last few months, as of June: http://fscuc.com/#backlog
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

New applicants do have to go in front of the judge now and have for almost 2 years now, I saw the letter requesting her to set up the meeting and spoke to Maurean in the permit office just this week when I went to add a handgun to my permit.

This is incorrect, I have  had my CCW for less than a year  and I did not have to go in front of the judge to get it.

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#13]
OK, if you look at the link I posted above, you can glean some of the history. There was a period a couple of years ago where a county judge was moved up and the judge put in his place was requiring interviews for new applicants and even amendments. After much effort by the UC Federation, I think the NYSRPA, and a supreme court judge, this was halted and the amendment powers were given back to the Sheriff's office.  

Then, this past June, the course was made required and I believe interviews are back for new applicants only.

So crisisbill and bigstatik are both right for their respective time periods. This whole thing has been very contentious in recent history and lots of changes have been happening.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

OK, if you look at the link I posted above, you can glean some of the history. There was a period a couple of years ago where a county judge was moved up and the judge put in his place was requiring interviews for new applicants and even amendments. After much effort by the UC Federation, I think the NYSRPA, and a supreme court judge, this was halted and the amendment powers were given back to the Sheriff's office.  

Then, this past June, the course was made required and I believe interviews are back for new applicants only.

So crisisbill and bigstatik are both right for their respective time periods. This whole thing has been very contentious in recent history and lots of changes have been happening.

ugh that sux.

what about amendments? they were so easy before.

how are they now?

Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:13:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Amendments so far are still okay, I was in the Sheriff's office on Monday adding a gun and it only took a few minutes, I took in the bill of sale and was handed the amendment on the spot. So far it is only new permits that require a visit with the judge or his clerk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:34:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Amendments so far are still okay, I was in the Sheriff's office on Monday adding a gun and it only took a few minutes, I took in the bill of sale and was handed the amendment on the spot. So far it is only new permits that require a visit with the judge or his clerk.

nice, glad that has stayed the same.

very convenient.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:44:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Now I have been hearing about amending permits to make them unrestricted carry.  How is this done, if at all?  I submitted my paperwork last week and still need to take the pistol safety course.  I don't plan on hearing anything from the judge for like a year at this point.  I'm going to push for my CCW.  The woman at the desk indicated that there may be new judges in office by the time my application is reviewed so we'll see.

Any other input?  I appreciate the feedback a lot.  This is a very aggravating, bureaucratic process that I refuse to undertake without being armed with every tidbit of information available to me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:54:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Our hope would be that Don Williams is elected to that post, he is a former ADA, then DA and is gun friendly.
We need to start speaking up at the voting machines instead of just complaining on Forums about how bad the judges are, show up where these people are campaining and speak to them, write them, be heard.   < Getting off soap box now>
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I was told by the Ulster Co. sportsmen recently that Paterson appointed judge Deborah Schneer is only issuing restricted licenses.  She is up for election this November.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:27:20 AM EDT
[#20]
That is correct Deborah Schneer was appointed to fill the post when Pro-Gun judge Mike Brunn retired, now we are stuck with this DemoCrap till Jan, she needs to run in Nov to keep her post, and we need to elect Donald Williams to that post and send her packing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is correct Deborah Schneer was appointed to fill the post when Pro-Gun judge Mike Brunn retired, now we are stuck with this DemoCrap till Jan, she needs to run in Nov to keep her post, and we need to elect Donald Williams to that post and send her packing.

Thank you for that information. I will tell all the gun owners I know to support Williams this Nov. Are there any other antis up for reelection that we need to vote out?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 2:33:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Don Williams was a good District Attorney and will make a damn fine Judge.  We need to mobilize all the Ulster Co. troops to vote for him in November.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 5:01:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Don Williams was a good District Attorney and will make a damn fine Judge.  We need to mobilize all the Ulster Co. troops to vote for him in November.

Count me in.
Link Posted: 9/14/2009 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Don Williams was mentioned at the last Marbletown Sportsmans Club meeting. I will make sure to vote for him come November.

Luis Leon
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 4:52:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Bump // reminder

Vote for Williams!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top