Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#1]
just to add my 2cents, my PA book on firearms says "shall issue" for non-resident LTCF.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 12:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rkbar15] [#2]

Originally Posted By emsjeep:

As a Deputy Sheriff in Pennsylvania...that actually pretty much is his job.  They are more or less pretend COPs.

Did you try to set him straight? Does he really not understand the PA AG is responsible for the reciprocity agreements and has stated that a both a FL and NH non-res CCW are valid in PA as well as a non-res PA CCW issued by ANY PA county sheriff.

BTW an elected County Sheriff is usually the chief law enforcement officer of a county and usually out ranks all other LEA operating within the county.

Link Posted: 2/2/2009 1:21:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emsjeep] [#3]
I never really bothered to figure out how it works, you can visit PAFOA if you are really interested, but I think PSP is more or less in charge...and for purposes of NFA items CLEOs can be local department Chief's.  I sent the Sheriff of Montgomery County a letter concerning the conversation I had with his deputy and what the Centre County Sheriff had to say on the subject of the validity of the permits he issues...never heard anything back...shit, maybe they figured it out after I caused trouble...
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#4]

The Centre County change in policy disturbs me because restrictions on carry licenses issued for cause do not exist under NY state law. As far as a requirement for the issuance of a PA non-res CCW an administratively restricted carry license should be suffciant to meet the PA licensing law. Either someone is misinformed in the SCSD or the hundreds or perhaps thousands of licenses issued over the years might not be vaild.

The NFA CLEO sign-off stuff really doesn't mean anything as far as the
pecking order under the state constitution. AFAIK every county in NYS
is required by law to have a Sheriff including the five counties that
encompass the City of NY.  The EC Sheriff has little bit of the history
of the office of Sheriff.
I'm pretty sure a County Sheriff can tell the SP to piss up a rope within his county in NY.
http://www.erie.gov/Sheriff/history.asp

The Office of the Sheriff is the oldest office under the system of
common law in the United States and is an integral part of government
in the State of New York.

As the oldest constitutional law enforcement officer of the county, the
Sheriff is charged with maintaining the peace in all municipalities,
villages, and townships within his jurisdiction and the care and
custody of persons pending court action. The Sheriff also serves as the
Chief Executive Officer of the Courts.

The powers and the duties of the Sheriff are embodied in the
constitution of each state and, as such, the Sheriff of Erie County
heads the largest Sheriff's Office in New York State and the fourteenth
largest in the nation.
Link Posted: 2/2/2009 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
...100's or 1000's of PA non-resident CCW may not be valid? I have a Suffolk County Sportsmans license. I applied for and received my non-resident CCW in PA  this past August. I wonder if I should call CCSD for clarification. I'm in PA quite often with friends and I don't want to go to jail for something like this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 12:40:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Originally Posted By remltr:

...100's or 1000's of PA non-resident CCW may not be valid? I have a Suffolk County Sportsmans license. I applied for and received my non-resident CCW in PA  this past August. I wonder if I should call CCSD for clarification. I'm in PA quite often with friends and I don't want to go to jail for something like this.

Sometimes you need to take one for the team.

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#7]
More non-res CCW rejections from Centre County:

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/pennsylvania/2292-non-resident-permit.html
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
How the hell did I get one?!
Link Posted: 2/3/2009 6:57:58 PM EDT
[#9]

....me too, just  got  mine last Apr from Centre Co

Dogeram, what does your NY Permit say on it?  Is the word "restricted" on it? Mine doesn't have
the word "restricted" anywhere on it but it does list "....target, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping"
under my picture;  on top it says "LICENSE TO CARRY PISTOL IS HEREBY GRANTED"

Does each county in NY have different format and wording on their permits?  IIRC they come in all
different colors depending on the county, but the layout/format/and wording must be different too?

Link Posted: 2/3/2009 7:42:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharky30] [#10]
Originally Posted By brain:

Dogeram, what does your NY Permit say on it?  Is the word "restricted" on it? Mine doesn't have
the word "restricted" anywhere on it but it does list "....target, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping"

Does each county in NY have different format and wording on their permits?  IIRC they come in all
different colors depending on the county, but the layout/format/and wording must be different too?

the layout is different. My original one from Chautauqua county did not have an area on it for restrictions
my "new" one from Erie does have a place labeled restrictions. I got lucky though since mine was a transfer from one county to another the restrictions stayed the same, so on my current permit on the line labeled restrictions it says NONE
Link Posted: 2/4/2009 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By remltr:

After reading the websites and info posted about PA non-resident CCW, it mentions that you must posses a Carry permit in your home state.
Your "suffolk county sportsman license" is NOT a Conceal Carry permit, it is a target and hunting permit. So I would think that you'd be denied just from that.
But then again.. It doesn't mention anywhere on the license that it is NOT for carry. You have to actually read the handbook, or application, etc. in order to know that.

Please post up if you get approved for it.

I'm on the same boat, suffolk sportsman permit, and goto Pa. often for offroading,hiking etc.
It would definitely be nice to CCW there.

I was planning on filing for the FL Non-res. carry permit, then just file for a PA CCW with that just in case, even though there is reciprocity, I don't trust a local sheriff or cop knowing that.
A PA permit would end all doubt.

Link Posted: 2/5/2009 4:31:38 AM EDT
[#12]
You can carry in PA...you just have to OC outside of your vehicle...which really isn't a huge deal here.  We just got State Parks back and National Parks came through...it really is a great state, I'm sad to be leaving so soon.  The Nassau permits do say "carry" as the permit type and then it just gets the rubber stamp...can you carry to and from hunting/range on the Suffolk County permit you have?
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 10:31:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rkbar15] [#13]

Originally Posted By O1SalsaX:

After reading the websites and info posted about PA non-resident CCW, it mentions that you must posses a Carry permit in your home state.

Your "suffolk county sportsman license" is NOT a Conceal Carry permit, it is a target and hunting permit. So I would think that you'd be denied just from that.

But then again.. It doesn't mention anywhere on the license that it is NOT for carry. You have to actually read the handbook, or application, etc. in order to know that.

That is incorrect. Unless you were issued a "premises" license your license is a "carry concealed" license. Administrative restrictions and "sportsman license"  do not exist under state law and such restrictions do not change the type of license issued to you. As to why the Centre County SD is no longer accepting NY restricted licensees that can only be answered by the CCSD.

NY Penal Law

S 400.00 Licenses to carry, possess, repair and dispose of firearms.

2. Types of licenses.

(f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the
issuance thereof

Link Posted: 2/5/2009 1:14:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dodgeram] [#14]
Originally Posted By brain:

Mine says under type+Carry
Then it's stamped"for target only to and from range"

Link Posted: 2/5/2009 7:45:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jag1323] [#15]
Can I apply for a PA non-res ccw, when I dont have ccw from NJ ??????????
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Pa won't accept an application unless you have a license from your home state. If you want to carry in Pa,
apply for the Florida license which is recognized in Pa and many other states.

Florida info
Link Posted: 2/5/2009 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#17]
so i never noticed, but is the out of state PA permit good for concealed carry or just possession? (i have a NY full carry).
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#18]
PA LTCF allows Car carry (which you get with ANY state issued CCW) and public CC...no permit is required to own in PA nor carry openly except in cities of the first class, ie. Philly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 1:49:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.

You sure about this? I thought you could not carry loaded in a vehicle  w/o a PA permit
Link Posted: 2/6/2009 5:41:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: emsjeep] [#20]
Originally Posted By Dion:
Just apply to Centre County with a copy of your restricted NYS permit, they know the deal.  I have one, same situation, ther eis no restricted PA permit.  Also, you can carry openly (OC) in PA and CC in your vehicle on any out of state permit, just no CC in public, for that you need an LTCF.  PM me if you have any issues or questions.  I have actually spoken with Sheriff Nau, really nice guy, pro-gun, pro-carry.

You sure about this? I thought you could not carry loaded in a vehicle  w/o a PA permit

You can with a valid out of state permit.  As a resident of PA without an LTCF all you can do is transport from the range/shop to home and have at your home.

Link Posted: 2/7/2009 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quick question on the process. On the paperwork where it says what we need to send in in order to get the License is doesn't say anything about a photo. Do I not have to send in a photo (ie. Passport like photo) with everything else? Living in NY all my life it just seems odd that my picture would not be on the License.

ETA: One more question. Where it asks what the permit is for is it ok to put Self Defence and Target Shooting? I know in NY it is frowned upon to put Self Defense but I assume it would be ok in PA but just want to make sure.

Thanks!

Riese
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
No photo is required for a PA non-res CCW. Self-Defense is fine. You can also add "all lawful purposes" in the other box if you want.  

Pistol licenses in NY are issued for "cause". If you don't indicate
personal protection when applying for a NY CCL you're not going to get
an unrestricted license (except in counties that don't place
restrictions on licenses).
Link Posted: 2/7/2009 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#23]
x2 No photo, LTCF will say "Valid wihout photo" in the photo box.  Reason does not matter... put "Self-Defense."
Link Posted: 2/13/2009 5:07:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Just an addition here. Live on Long Island and have the BS target/hunting stamp on our (wife and I) permits. Sent in the paperwork anyway to Centre County PA. and today in the mail our CCW permits came. 1 week turnaround time. Have to sign them and send back the copies tomorrow. Kinda a let down though I thought the Nassau County permits were cheap looking paper these things are worse.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 2:54:01 PM EDT
[#25]
My Wife just got hers with a Suffolk Sportsman License. She sent it in exactly one week ago! All that came is the license in triplicate and no instructions. What is she supposed to do now; sign it and send back the copies? I havn't seen it yet as I'm at work but she said the licence is basically on Carbon paper. Now thats funny.

Thanks!

Riese

Originally Posted By FGracing:
Just an addition here. Live on Long Island and have the BS target/hunting stamp on our (wife and I) permits. Sent in the paperwork anyway to Centre County PA. and today in the mail our CCW permits came. 1 week turnaround time. Have to sign them and send back the copies tomorrow. Kinda a let down though I thought the Nassau County permits were cheap looking paper these things are worse.

Link Posted: 2/14/2009 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#26]
The wife and I just renewed our non res pa licenses. It took about 10 minutes. We filled out the renewal forms they sent us.They  took new pics and made a call (to somewhere in ny I am guessing) for an approval. Printed up our new ones paid  the $25 each and away we went. Says right on the license "reason to carry" Protection.

I figured that we would have to turn in the renewal  forms and they were going to mail us our new licenses but they gave them to us right on the spot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2009 5:42:29 PM EDT
[#27]
So it now appears that someone in the CCSD was misinformed about not issuing a PA CCW to someone with a NY restricted concealed carry license. Woo Hoo
Link Posted: 2/17/2009 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By rkbar15:
Originally Posted By ctrmass:
I got one from Pa. Of course it's expired and they wont renew it. I suppose they got a visit from some people in trenton, at least that's what I hear.
Bastids! (trenton, not Pa)
Pursuant to  PA state law if your state of residence (in your case NJ) issues concealed carry licenses you must have one in order to be issued a PA CCW. That's why NJ residents get a FL non-res CCW and carry in PA with the FL license.

Yes, but it's up to the sheriff to use his digression.
In the past Centre county issued to NJ. I know, I have one.
Link Posted: 2/18/2009 1:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Yep seems that way. My Wife and two of my buddies got there's with a Suffolk County Sportsman Carry Permit within the last week. On another note In the envelope from Centre County came the License in Triplicate. I assumed my Wife should sign it and send back the rear two copies and keep the top White copy. Its says nothing on the License about it (I.E. Licensee's Copy.. etc) nor were there any directions. Although it looks pretty obvious as what needs to be she called Centre County and the Lady on the phone said just to keep all the copies. When my buddy called they said to send in the rear two copies within 30 days signed. She is going to send in the rear two copies just in case but does anyone get instructions or just the Licence and just use common sense to do the rest. Issue at least for me is I try my hardest not to make decisions based on common sense when it comes to to these sort of things. When my Wife canceled her NYC Permit we used common sense and it almost got her arrested!

Originally Posted By one15:
The wife and I just renewed our non res pa licenses. It took about 10 minutes. We filled out the renewal forms they sent us.They  took new pics and made a call (to somewhere in ny I am guessing) for an approval. Printed up our new ones paid  the $25 each and away we went. Says right on the license "reason to carry" Protection.

I figured that we would have to turn in the renewal  forms and they were going to mail us our new licenses but they gave them to us right on the spot.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#30]
March bump so the thread doesn't fall of into cyberspace.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#31]
I got one from Pa. Of course it's expired and they wont renew it. I suppose they got a visit from some people in trenton, at least that's what I hear.
Pursuant to  PA state law if your state of residence (in your case NJ) issues concealed carry licenses you must have one in order to be issued a PA CCW. That's why NJ residents get a FL non-res CCW and carry in PA with the FL license.

unfortunately.

i kick myself for allowing my PA permit to expire.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:30:02 PM EDT
[#32]
I mailed in my pa nonres app on the 16th.  Today is 1 week.  Hopefully I get it soon.  Does a nonres permit allow me to purchase a weapon on PA and bring it home or does it still need to be transfered to an FFL in NY?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Clobbersaurus:
I mailed in my pa nonres app on the 16th.  Today is 1 week.  Hopefully I get it soon.  Does a nonres permit allow me to purchase a weapon on PA and bring it home or does it still need to be transfered to an FFL in NY?

Thanks.

No, you still gotta transfer.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By mjsemtex:

unfortunately.

i kick myself for allowing my PA permit to expire.

Thanks, I didn't know that. They should accept a NJ pistol purchase permit since it's next to impossible to get a NJ carry permit.

Link Posted: 3/23/2009 7:00:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got home and found my PA permit in the mail.  Exactly 7 days from the day I mailed it out.  Sweet.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 9:25:09 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Clobbersaurus:

Just got home and found my PA permit in the mail.  Exactly 7 days from the day I mailed it out.  Sweet.

Did your NY CCL have restrictions on it?

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:42:37 AM EDT
[#37]
If I could get a NJ carry permit, would I... yes. Do I think I'd really need one other than the fact that its cool.... no. What is the point of getting a carry permit outside of your home state, if you're a Jersey resident? Do you really need to carry a gun the few times you going skiing up north.... or head into PA for the day? I don't understand the fuss over something so pointless. I mean, I can understand a NYer with a CCW getting one for surrounding states so you can travel state-to-state, but for us Jersians, its just stupid. I camp in PA a lot. I bring my guns, and I shoot there with PA residents. Why do I need to walk around some podunk supermarket with my .40 on my belt?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:04:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By adrock1978:
If I could get a NJ carry permit, would I... yes. Do I think I'd really need one other than the fact that its cool.... no. What is the point of getting a carry permit outside of your home state, if you're a Jersey resident? Do you really need to carry a gun the few times you going skiing up north.... or head into PA for the day? I don't understand the fuss over something so pointless. I mean, I can understand a NYer with a CCW getting one for surrounding states so you can travel state-to-state, but for us Jersians, its just stupid. I camp in PA a lot. I bring my guns, and I shoot there with PA residents. Why do I need to walk around some podunk supermarket with my .40 on my belt?

pointless?

stupid?

podunk? (as in PA supermarkets?)

why not just keep the firearms at home in the safe?

sorry, i don't want to get off-topic here and i'm attempting to remain 'nice' about this... if you think it's pointless and stupid then don't apply for one.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#39]

pointless?

stupid?

podunk? (as in PA supermarkets?)

why not just keep the firearms at home in the safe?

sorry, i don't want to get off-topic here and i'm attempting to remain 'nice' about this... if you think it's pointless and stupid then don't apply for one.

Are you even a Jersey resident? Why would you be anything but nice? Last time I checked this was a forum, open to discussion and opinion. I payed my $25 just like you did. I didn't personally attack anyone. Yes, I think it's stupid for a Jersey resident, who can't legally carry a concealed weapon in his/her own state, to try to circumvent that by getting a permit in a surrounding state.

My guns don't live in a safe... I hunt, I shoot at the range, I attend courses... but tell me why I need to carry a hand gun in some rural town like Milford, or Blakeslee, or Gouldsboro, when I'm camping or fishing, or shopping with my wife and kid. If I can't carry a gun when I'm in newark, or jersey city, or paterson when I'm working and could potentially need it, why would I get a permit for the 5% of the time I'm in some other state?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Are you even a Jersey resident?

yes.

Why would you be anything but nice?

because i'm not always a nice guy. and/or it's difficult to not sound like an ass when defending views in a public forum.

Last time I checked this was a forum, open to discussion and opinion. I payed my $25 just like you did. I didn't personally attack anyone. Yes, I think it's stupid for a Jersey resident, who can't legally carry a concealed weapon in his/her own state, to try to circumvent that by getting a permit in a surrounding state.

yes, your opinion. thank you.

My guns don't live in a safe... I hunt, I shoot at the range, I attend courses... but tell me why I need to carry a hand gun in some rural town like Milford, or Blakeslee, or Gouldsboro, when I'm camping or fishing, or shopping with my wife and kid. If I can't carry a gun when I'm in newark, or jersey city, or paterson when I'm working and could potentially need it, why would I get a permit for the 5% of the time I'm in some other state?

your opinion, thank you. don't apply for it.

apologies all around. i'm sorry i posted my response to begin with... i'm not trying to argue with anyone here.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:46:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mjsemtex] [#41]
Thanks, I didn't know that. They should accept a NJ pistol purchase permit since it's next to impossible to get a NJ carry permit.

has this actually worked for anyone? sheriff denny nau has his own website and his office is more than happy to answer questions concerning applications.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:50:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Half of my original post is based on jealousy. I'll admit that. But If I can't get a CCW in my state, for towns and cities where I'd potentially need it, getting one for PA or maine, or vermont or anywhere else isn't going to change that. Particularly when the majority of those states are places where I dont fear an incident where a gun would be needed. Thats all... I'll leave out words like stupid, or pointless. To some, it may be relevant. I understand that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#43]
What hoops must I jump through to get a FL non-resident CCW?
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mjsemtex] [#44]
Originally Posted By MrAwesome:
What hoops must I jump through to get a FL non-resident CCW?

no 'hoops' involved.

How to apply.

and

Application Instructions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#45]

apologies all around. i'm sorry i posted my response to begin with... i'm not trying to argue with anyone here.

You have nothing to apologize for. There is nothing wrong in a good argument. There's not much else to do around here.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#46]

has this actually worked for anyone? sheriff denny nau has his own website and his office is more than happy to answer questions concerning applications.

AFAIK PA state law currently requires a carry license from your home state in order to qualify for a non-res PA license.  NJ does issue carry licenses so AFAIK you're out of luck if you're a NJ resident. FL has no such rules so that is the only available way to carry in PA if you're a NJ resident.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#47]

You have nothing to apologize for. There is nothing wrong in a good argument. There's not much else to do around here.

thanks...

my initial response had more to do with the reasoning behind wanting to legally carry a firearm anywhere, anytime with as little legal 'restriction' as possible. the WHY goes far deeper than permit issues. i have a florida permit and when i lived in PA i had a PA permit. i still spend plenty of time in PA and it's unfortunate that i ever allowed my PA permit to expire.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#48]

My guns don't live in a safe... I hunt, I shoot at the range, I attend courses... but tell me why I need to carry a hand gun in some rural town like Milford, or Blakeslee, or Gouldsboro, when I'm camping or fishing, or shopping with my wife and kid.

That's two reasons right there. A third reason is a PA, NH or FL non-res carry license identifies you as a "good guy" in those states should you be in possession of a handgun even if you don't intend on carrying it concealed. Lastly I can tell you from personal experience it's always better to be armed and prepared for the worst than to be unarmed and unprepared should the unexpected occur. There are no "do overs" in real life.

Link Posted: 3/24/2009 4:51:32 PM EDT
[#49]

AFAIK PA state law currently requires a carry license from your home state in order to qualify for a non-res PA license.  NJ does issue carry licenses so AFAIK you're out of luck if you're a NJ resident. FL has no such rules so that is the only available way to carry in PA if you're a NJ resident.

I'm sorry, but that is one of the most confusing statements I've read here on ARFcom. If PA requires a carry license from your HOME state (mine being NJ) in order to get a PA carry permit, how does having a non-res FL permit allow me to get a PA permit. Neither FL or PA are my home state. Again, I'm not trying to be arguementative. I'm just weighing whether or not this is all worth it, just to get a permit outside of my home state.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#50]
I'm sorry, but that is one of the most confusing statements I've read here on ARFcom. If PA requires a carry license from your HOME state (mine being NJ) in order to get a PA carry permit, how does having a non-res FL permit allow me to get a PA permit. Neither FL or PA are my home state. Again, I'm not trying to be arguementative. I'm just weighing whether or not this is all worth it, just to get a permit outside of my home state.

florida's concealed carry reciprocity.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top