Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2017 8:37:26 PM EDT
So, I'm finally purchasing my first home (closing this week).  There's a fairly large area of discolored ceiling that was confirmed to be "mold" by a mold inspector (by visual inspection).  There's no moisture in the area at present and the air samples were negative.  It's more than likely damage from condensation since the area is about 20 feet or so up in a large entryway in the dead center of the home.  I'm tempted to just paint over the area, but, now that the house has been stamped as having mold, I need to have it officially removed and retested for insurance reasons, etc.  

The bottom line is that I have a strong suspicion that, like in every other step of this home buying process, I'm about to get raped.  Can anyone recommend a mold remediation/removal service in the Houston area that's trustworthy?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#1]
How much did you lower your offer by?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:14:14 AM EDT
[#2]
It is not going to be cheap.  I would call ServPro and Blackmon Mooring BEFORE you close.  Get them out there to give you a quote BEFORE you close.  I hope your insurance company does NOT find out before you close.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much did you lower your offer by?
View Quote
The mold inspector estimated $5000 "on the high side" for the remediation.  We agreed on a $15000 drop in the purchase price.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not going to be cheap.  I would call ServPro and Blackmon Mooring BEFORE you close.  Get them out there to give you a quote BEFORE you close.  I hope your insurance company does NOT find out before you close.
View Quote
Thanks.  Will do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top