User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2017 8:34:40 AM EDT
Big line. Any of y'all here?
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:41:34 AM EDT
[#1]
LTC badge question just came up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm eating lunch and am slated for the afternoon class. I can't face the stupidity on an empty stomach.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:43:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Lots of standard neckbeard questions being asked
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 12:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Hope your class has less goofy question askers than mine.

Instructors were/ are doing their best to get us out early.
Not happening though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:00:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I just parked, I might see if I can register early. I'm the guy in the Winnie the Pew shirt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
No test at the end. Hopefully your class will hold off on LTC badge questions and "can I open carry in a shoulder or belt holster on my front seat or dash board" questions.

The instructors even said " we will be done when we get the material presented" and some folks just didn't  get it.

Wasn't too tedious though
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I should have recorded the dumbass questions for when people ask me why they should choose me as an instructor...
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Other instructors that are taking the renewal, post your thoughts and comments as the week goes on.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#9]
The worst part was the online training portion. DPS started off by saying "we don't know anything about this yet", and then the questions started. Basically, it's designed for people who don't have to do the practical portion. If you do online training and have to shoot, you must receive 1-2 hours of shooting instruction prior to the actual practical portion.

Minimum caliber requirements are removed for the test, but are kept for instructor certification. Lots of stupid questions/comments on that one. Yes, I suppose you could use an AR pistol and shoulder it now.

Couple/few questions about open carry, but it seems like that has gone by the wayside into a non-issue.

It seemed to me that some instructors took the restraint holster teaching material as law for open carry. (secures the gun, covers the trigger, makes it difficult for someone else to remove) while I agree that it is a good definition of a holster, it's not the law. Even if part of me wants to make Uncle Mikes holsters illegal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone else have stories of derpage from the instructor renewal class this week?

Friend of mine took it on Tuesday and said an instructor asked if a convicted felon could get a LTC.

WTF?
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:55:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone else have stories of derpage from the instructor renewal class this week?

Friend of mine took it on Tuesday and said an instructor asked if a convicted felon could get a LTC.

WTF?
View Quote
Yeah, I was there on Tuesday I felt like it was a shit show on both sides.  The people from DPS kept mentioning that we needed our LTC-100 forms to have our address in case they needed to "find us" or "examine our records".  All the form asks for is a Range Address, it is not there for the purpose of locating the class records, so I had to ask for clarification...  You also had your standard dumbass questions about felons, keeping your students targets, are paddle holsters belt holsters if they aren't worn with a belt, & more.  I think one of the best silly questions was when someone asked if DPS could deny a person a license if their payment via check to their instructor bounced (and thus they never paid for the course).

Also, why did we have to sit there and listen to a whole speech about safe storage of handguns?  We are all instructors, we've been through this course once, we are required to know and teach that curriculum to our students, and it's all basically common sense anyways!!!  The whole thing was a very questionable use of time and I was already aware of the law/course updates before coming to class because they are posted online.

Oh and I forgot, I think I was briefly booed or at least verbally chastised when I was one of two people in the entire room that raised their hand in support of constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I was there on Tuesday I felt like it was a shit show on both sides.  The people from DPS kept mentioning that we needed our LTC-100 forms to have our address in case they needed to "find us" or "examine our records".  All the form asks for is a Range Address, it is not there for the purpose of locating the class records, so I had to ask for clarification...  You also had your standard dumbass questions about felons, keeping your students targets, are paddle holsters belt holsters if they aren't worn with a belt, & more.  I think one of the best silly questions was when someone asked if DPS could deny a person a license if their payment via check to their instructor bounced (and thus they never paid for the course).

Also, why did we have to sit there and listen to a whole speech about safe storage of handguns?  We are all instructors, we've been through this course once, we are required to know and teach that curriculum to our students, and it's all basically common sense anyways!!!  The whole thing was a very questionable use of time and I was already aware of the law/course updates before coming to class because they are posted online.

Oh and I forgot, I think I was briefly booed or at least verbally chastised when I was one of two people in the entire room that raised their hand in support of constitutional carry.
View Quote
That sounds like what my friend said to a tee.
( is that you Mike?)

Amazing the amount of unbridled derp that there is in the Instructor community.

Makes me rethink all of the people I read about that complain about their LTC class being a complete waste of time based on the questions I listened to in that class.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 11:12:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the paddle holster question is DPS's fault.  When I did my course last year, one of the troopers said "Is this a belt holster?" Yes, of course.  Then he whipped it off.  Nope, you could wear it with sweatpants...

Okay, sure.  Whatever.

Constitutional Carry didn't come up in my class.  Unfortunate.  

The whole thing was kind of JV to me.  Show up to a room that's not designed for classes.  Try to squint at one of two 8' screens at a 15deg angle 50 yards away.  Broken microphones, broken media, not enough handouts, etc.  

They also mentioned having someone come inspect our range (??), and that's why they needed the address.  They even said coordinates are acceptable.  We had some dude ask about Simunitions for the shooting portion, and the DPS employees started talking about SIRT or lasers or something.  I personally find it repugnant that we have a practical portion (or even a license, but whatever), anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top