Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 8:54:58 PM EDT
Like the title says, are there any new Texas gun laws that take effect 1 SEP 2017?
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#1]
LTC goes from $140 to $40. Not sure of other ones.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Mossberg Shockwave and similar are legal 1 SEP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Legal as a regular firearm?  No additional fees, taxes, forms, etc?
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Legal as a regular firearm?  No additional fees, taxes, forms, etc?
View Quote
yes, but only a very particular configuration to match federal law.  Don't go thinking you can make a SBS or AOW
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The new knife laws are already in effect, right? I just bought a Kabar TDI, but the thing is so short, I'm not sure it ever fell into anything illegal.

Is there anyone in Texas that trains specifically for the TDI? Everything I've been able to find basically says hold it and punch, if you want to get fancy, slash with it. I just thought it made a good weak side carry knife.
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:10:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The new knife laws are already in effect, right? I just bought a Kabar TDI, but the thing is so short, I'm not sure it ever fell into anything illegal.

Is there anyone in Texas that trains specifically for the TDI? Everything I've been able to find basically says hold it and punch, if you want to get fancy, slash with it. I just thought it made a good weak side carry knife.
View Quote
Usually all laws go into effect 1 SEP, the start of the state's fiscal year.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The new knife laws are already in effect, right?
View Quote
HB 1935 doesn't go into effect until September 1.  You can read the text of the bill at the link below.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/85R/billtext/html/HB01935F.htm
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:28:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Still stuck on how you spell Gun with a K.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Which bill was this?
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which bill was this?
View Quote
Lines 13 and 14 -   "Mossberg Amendment"
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 1:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks!  That's a subtle change.  So these are / will be considered "short-barrel firearms" under Texas law.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks!  That's a subtle change.  So these are / will be considered "short-barrel firearms" under Texas law.
View Quote
Yes, it is subtle.  They are short-barreled firearms, but they aren't illegal under Texas law because they aren't subject to NFA registration.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Not much got thru this time and this next week is the first time instructors will be getting the official 'please teach it this way' updates.

In short from the top of my head, IANAL, etc., etc., have fun digging through all the amendments.

License holders can be members of a church security team without being a licensed security guard - can't wear a uniform while doing so.

Teachers can have a gun in the car in the parking lot, but it has to be locked up, gun and ammo separated.

Caliber restriction removed from LTC proficiency test.

Suppressors will be legal if they're moved out of NFA.

Every native born Texan will be issued a machine gun after completing their national service obligation. Well, that one might not have happened.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 8:43:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not much got thru this time and this next week is the first time instructors will be getting the official 'please teach it this way' updates.

In short from the top of my head, IANAL, etc., etc., have fun digging through all the amendments.

License holders can be members of a church security team without being a licensed security guard - can't wear a uniform while doing so.

Teachers can have a gun in the car in the parking lot, but it has to be locked up, gun and ammo separated.

Caliber restriction removed from LTC proficiency test.

Suppressors will be legal if they're moved out of NFA.

Every native born Texan will be issued a machine gun after completing their national service obligation. Well, that one might not have happened.
View Quote
I looked this one up, but do not see where the gun and ammo has to be separated.

Sec. 37.0815. TRANSPORTATION OR STORAGE OF FIREARM AND AMMUNITION BY LICENSE HOLDER IN SCHOOL PARKING AREA. (a) A school district or open-enrollment charter school may not prohibit a
person, including a school employee, who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, from transporting or storing a handgun or other firearm or ammunition in
a locked, privately owned or leased motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area provided by the district or charter school, provided that the handgun, firearm, or ammunition is not in plain view.
(b) This section does not authorize a person to possess, transport, or store a handgun, a firearm, or ammunition in violation of Section 37.125 of this code, Section 46.03 or 46.035, Penal Code, or other law.

Sec. 37.125.  EXHIBITION OF FIREARMS.  (a)  A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, or threatens to exhibit or use a firearm:
(1)  in or on any property, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area, that is owned by a private or public school; or
(2)  on a school bus being used to transport children to or from school-sponsored activities of a private or public school.
(b)  An offense under this section is a third degree felony.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]
That's good, a little bit of common sense prevailed.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought I heard that CCW is now legal on junior colleges. It was actually part of the last session but was put on a time table and its time has now come.

Pretty back asswards to put them on a different schedule AND have them allowed a year after state universities

ETA: looks like that went into effect the first of this month. Still goofy
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 11:26:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Lot more jucos than full public universities and they typically operate with more challenges re: budget, properties, etc. Gave them an extra year to get policy into place.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top