Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/10/2017 4:19:21 PM EDT
http://thecoastalbendchronicle.com/25222/297252/a/county-attorney-barnebey-attacks-rockport-officers-credibility-police-chief-ques

ROCKPORT, Texas - The Aransas County Attorney's Office is accusing a local police officer of being untrustworthy and therefore refusing to rely on his testimony in cases. The allegation is now under challenge by an entire police force who say their comrade is a target of a retaliation coordinated by Aransas County Attorney Kristen Barnebey.
Police fear the actions of the county attorney may be a final breaking point in a judicial system “already falling apart at the seams,” as case after case is either lost at trial or ultimately dismissed. Police said the failure by prosecutors to work effectively with law enforcement is a primary barrier in the successful prosecution of criminal cases, adding it is becoming increasingly apparent county attorneys do not have the best interest of the community in mind.

The Aransas County Attorney's Office has failed to acquire a guilty verdict in dozens of cases since Barnebey took office. The last six jury trials since January, have been won, however, Barnebey herself has never gained a conviction in a criminal proceeding as her assistants are handling the case load.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately for Texans, Judges, DA and ADA's are provided blanket immunity from most lawsuits and criminal charges related to political prosecutions and failure to do their jobs. Just to name a couple items.  But looking at this from the outside, its hard to know what is really going on unless you are involved.

Look what happened to RICK PERRY.  The joke is that, when it happens to someone else, they got RICK PERRIED.  They knew the case was not valid, illegal, unconstitutional but they DID IT ANYWAY.  And that should bring criminal/civil liability.

This should end.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
latest update.

County Attorney Refuses to Accept All Rockport Police Cases

Article seems very biased in favor of the police department but as I don't know the situation it's hard to judge from the outside; that being said I do like the words the DA is saying.

“Each prosecutor swears an oath under Texas Code of Criminal Procedure, Art. 2.01, ‘not to convict, but to see that justice is done.’ What you rarely hear quoted is the next sentence: ‘They shall not suppress evidence or secrete witnesses capable of establishing the innocence of the accused.’

“When law enforcement will not uphold the law, prosecutors must step forward and ensure the law is being followed and unethical officers are not being put before the judge and jury as credible witnesses.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
latest update.

County Attorney Refuses to Accept All Rockport Police Cases

Article seems very biased in favor of the police department but as I don't know the situation it's hard to judge from the outside; that being said I do like the words the DA is saying.
View Quote
Interesting. I surprised the Rangers haven't gotten involved yes. They do a lot of corruption cases.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#4]
It appears to me both sides are/were up to no good. Now it's turned into a finger pointing fest of who is to blame in the breakdown of their CJ system .
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#5]
If you started paying attention to what happens in a lot of counties, you'd lose what little respect you have left for the justice system.

We had a chick who dismembered her husband, bagged up the pieces and scattered them. ONE of the investigating detectives died of cancer. Plea bargained for 7 years because they claimed they couldn't go forward without the testimony of the one detective.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top