Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2017 5:31:12 PM EDT
Who's ready? My buddy has some fields lined up for us, my shotgun is cleaned and lubed, and I stocked up on shotshells because I can't shoot worth a damn...
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm ready to go to my Grasslands up near Decatur. I have several units that I use, all a little different depending on what I think they will be doing. I'm usually wrong though.

Where is your place to hunt?

I have shells, and my old Remington 1100 is ready to go.

Please Mr. Weatherman, send a cold front around the first weekend of September. I am usually afraid if I actually hit one, by accident, the meat will spoil before it hits the ground.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Shotgun and ammo ready.  Will be hunting in my brothers back yard in Hamilton, just outside the city limits.
Went this weekend and I have never seen so many birds.  I came home with 30 birds for two days of hunting and a sore shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:06:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm ready to go to my Grasslands up near Decatur. I have several units that I use, all a little different depending on what I think they will be doing. I'm usually wrong though.

Where is your place to hunt?

I have shells, and my old Remington 1100 is ready to go.

Please Mr. Weatherman, send a cold front around the first weekend of September. I am usually afraid if I actually hit one, by accident, the meat will spoil before it hits the ground.
View Quote
Check out the Cornell website for bird migration forecasts out of the Great Plains here:

http://birdcast.info/forecast/arriving-soon-birdcast-fall-2017/

It is accurate and I used it this spring for fallout migration down at High Island and Bolivar Flats.

In the DFW area, I am already seeing big pushes of shorebirds moving south with these small fronts crossing the area. Sunday and Monday I was able to get almost 50 bird species ID'ed every time I went out(although I do have a really awesome place to count at):

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S38536216

Could be a decent year for dove with frequent rains, good nesting this year and lots of forage. White wing are still heavily skewing the dove numbers over Mourning dove. I think that number will flip flop in favor of Mourning dove in the next couple weeks. More habitat means it will be harder for hunters. A brief dry spell to evaporate out standing in water in fields could be a benefit for stock tank hunting.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The Grasslands have several small lakes that always have water, and some of the units I hunt have spring fed stock tanks, so there is always water. The problem up there is having good sight-lines. For being named Grasslands there are a lot of trees in the way.
The units I hunt have clear lines of sight and the brush is low enough that I can find a bird after I scare it and it dies from a heart attack and falls out of the sky.
Since there is privately owned farms surrounding the units there is plenty of food. They do tend to roost in the units since there are very few people on them. That is actually my biggest problem- there isn't much to pressure them into flying. If I don't catch them coming in or leaving I have a hard time seeing any flying. They tend to sit in trees just out of range laughing at me.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad just bought 151 acres in Eastland County this Spring. Several tanks, right on a gravel road. Got a good sized field of millet, sorghum, and a few sunflowers planted. Hoping for a good season. Can't wait..dove hunting is an absolute blast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 10:50:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My dad just bought 151 acres in Eastland County this Spring. Several tanks, right on a gravel road. Got a good sized field of millet, sorghum, and a few sunflowers planted. Hoping for a good season. Can't wait..dove hunting is an absolute blast.
View Quote
I'm jelly. 
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 11:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Puddin has cashed our checks.
The trailer AC has been checked.
Plenty of shells.

Shopping/packing list:

Hunting license, with migratory endorsement. Hunter safety (for you youngsters)

For Opening Morning:

Fried Pies to eat while you wait for first light
Sunblock
Shooting Glasses (clear or yellow for early, dark for the afternoon)
Hearing protection
Camo hat, shorts and snake boots (you gotta look stupid in style)
shell bag and bird vest
cap visor headlamp (for getting to your spot early)
TICK Juice - 99%DEEEEET...
AAs for the Mojos
New 5 gal cammo bucket with with swivel seat and the foam insert, to keep beverages coo (lets not discuss what happened to the old onel)
Gatorade & Ozarka Water& diet coke
First aid kit
toilet paper
Zip Lock bags
Trash bags
EMT scissors
bucket for cleaning
Blue square water jug

For after the hunt

Beer
Jack
Diet Coke
Ice
Ice
Ice
Fill up propane cylinder for the grill
cookie sheet and sharp paring knife (do not let the wife see you take these)
Four pounds of thick sliced bacon.
Cream Cheese
Garlic Salt
Pineapple slices
long toothpicks
jalapenos (and maybe some milder peppers for the whimpy)
Seasoning salt
Chips
Pace
Steaks
Homemade mustard potato salad
paper plates and stuff

For the next morning:

Ibuprofen
Aloe Vera gell
MORE SHELLS...LETS DO IT AGAIN
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#9]
All this sounds good. I'm going to try my luck at Ray Roberts opening weekend. 
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Puddin has cashed our checks.
The trailer AC has been checked.
Plenty of shells.

Shopping/packing list:

Hunting license, with migratory endorsement. Hunter safety (for you youngsters)

For Opening Morning:

Fried Pies to eat while you wait for first light
Sunblock
Shooting Glasses (clear or yellow for early, dark for the afternoon)
Hearing protection
Camo hat, shorts and snake boots (you gotta look stupid in style)
shell bag and bird vest
cap visor headlamp (for getting to your spot early)
TICK Juice - 99%DEEEEET...
AAs for the Mojos
New 5 gal cammo bucket with with swivel seat and the foam insert, to keep beverages coo (lets not discuss what happened to the old onel)
Gatorade & Ozarka Water& diet coke
First aid kit
toilet paper
Zip Lock bags
Trash bags
EMT scissors
bucket for cleaning
Blue square water jug

For after the hunt

Beer
Jack
Diet Coke
Ice
Ice
Ice
Fill up propane cylinder for the grill
cookie sheet and sharp paring knife (do not let the wife see you take these)
Four pounds of thick sliced bacon.
Cream Cheese
Garlic Salt
Pineapple slices
long toothpicks
jalapenos (and maybe some milder peppers for the whimpy)
Seasoning salt
Chips
Pace
Steaks
Homemade mustard potato salad
paper plates and stuff

For the next morning:

Ibuprofen
Aloe Vera gell
View Quote
Sounds like my kind of dove hunt. if anyone hears of a good day lease let me know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#11]
For the next morning:
Ibuprofen
Aloe Vera gell
View Quote
Pick up some of those little bottles of Pickle Juice sports drink. Best hangover cure you can find............if you can keep it down.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm waiting another hour and 25 minutes to get excited about dove.

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 8:47:01 AM EDT
[#13]
good luck everyone!  
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Went yesterday and today in Navarro county, both morning hunts.

Didn't see a whole lot but heard a decent amount of shots around us. Not a lot of birds moving but saw plenty on power lines and the ground driving in.

Maybe the weather this next week will push them around.

Anybody had luck? And in what county?
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#15]
A friend of mine has around 1000 acres, a cabin to stay in and an all round cool place to go with several ponds and stuff. He invited me to go and hunt this weekend and stay there but I declined. I don't really give a shit about hunting anymore. The younger me couldn't even sleep in the days prior to dove season and I would go every single day. Now I would rather sleep in, or just relax than go hunting. I don't know what the fuck happened it just doesn't seem appealing to me anymore.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:03:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I haven't seen much this year.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A friend of mine has around 1000 acres, a cabin to stay in and an all round cool place to go with several ponds and stuff. He invited me to go and hunt this weekend and stay there but I declined. I don't really give a shit about hunting anymore. The younger me couldn't even sleep in the days prior to dove season and I would go every single day. Now I would rather sleep in, or just relax than go hunting. I don't know what the fuck happened it just doesn't seem appealing to me anymore.
View Quote
Damn...  How old are you?

Don't think I could pass up an invitation like that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#18]
40. I don't know why I don't enjoy it like I used to. Hell I live on 25 acres and have a ton of dove here and haven't even wanted to go shoot them either. I hear my neighbors blasting away but I just have no desire to.

When I was in college not exaggerating I would hunt at least five days a week during dove/waterfowl season. I made two trips to Canada and spent a month total hunting there.

The past ten years I bet I have been hunting less than 7 days total. It is not that I don't have the time, place, or money to go I just don't find it that enjoyable anymore.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
40. I don't know why I don't enjoy it like I used to. Hell I live on 25 acres and have a ton of dove here and haven't even wanted to go shoot them either. I hear my neighbors blasting away but I just have no desire to.

When I was in college not exaggerating I would hunt at least five days a week during dove/waterfowl season. I made two trips to Canada and spent a month total hunting there.

The past ten years I bet I have been hunting less than 7 days total. It is not that I don't have the time, place, or money to go I just don't find it that enjoyable anymore.
View Quote
You need kids to introduce to the sport. Get your hunter safety instructor card, find some scouts. Introducing young people completely changes the game.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 4:24:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Anyone else catch the screw up in this year's manual for daily limits?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
?
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 1:15:55 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
?
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/215811/image-298375.jpg
??
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

??
View Quote
mourning and whitewing are bag limit 2 a piece.  their wording is ambiguous 
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#25]
They left out the daily bag limit for the regular zones, so the special white-winged dove days aggregate applies to all zones.  Basically, unless you are in an area with a bunch of white-winged doves, your limit is two mourning dove per day. They've got it correct on the website. I've already spoke to headquarters and several wardens and apparently know one else has picked up on the omission.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 2:48:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Went out Saturday to my brothers in Gholson.
I haven't seen that many flying in years.
We got a visit from the fish cops just as we were starting to pack up.
They hung around for about 45 minutes and even had some hot links and a soda with us and shot the shit before heading out.
All in all a good day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 12:04:19 AM EDT
[#27]
No doves in shady grove, ne burnet county. Everything is green like spring. Usually the sun flowers are dead and dropping the seeds but not this year.
Heard about  a dozen shoots all weekend.

On the bright side I played tag with the coyotes Sunday night. Two were it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:10:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Going to be rough with all the mosquitos blocking your shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 12:06:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Fucking mosquitoes were brutal. We were waiting on some hogs to show up Saturday morning. We had on bug spray, but it made damn little difference. We left and drove over to Academy, got one of those thermacell things, hung it in our blind Sunday morning, made a world of difference. Damn hogs still didn't show up though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:38:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Out near lockhart TX, we got 4 limits between 4 guns over 3 days. Most shot Friday and Sat AM.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Outside Carbon, near Eastland..didn't see many at all. The few we did see were high flying and traveling hard, paying no attention to the field and tank, or the dekes. Praying this little front has got them stirred a little for this weekend, but not getting my hopes up too much. Kinda a bummer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Didn't get to go hunting opening day or that weekend.
But this past weekend was glorious!!
Pics are in order;
Friday evening the 8th: 19  Saturday evening: 23 and Sunday morning: 16
My cousin and I were pretty happy. We were near West on a friend's property.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#33]
That's a nice haul!  Wish I still had a spot to go.  I live in Austin and haven't seen many flying in the area--I am thinking of trying one of the public spots in the area.  I've heard they are pretty quiet during the week after the first couple of weeks in the season.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top