Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2017 5:18:12 PM EDT
We are in the beginning phases of a plan to buy a place somewhere along the TX Gulf Coast
perhaps in about 18 months to two years, or a little later perhaps.

Anyhow, we have had State Farm forever and my agent says they won't insure any homes in the coastal
area of Texas any longer.

Does anyone have a recomendation on who to get a quote from?

Our plan is to maybe purchase within a couple years and rent it out
until I retire in 8 years, then we live there.

We are probably end up with a condo on a canal somewhere between Copano Bay and North Padre Island.

We might look at Port Mansfield but I feel like that might be too "remote".
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I am using Farmers.
Beware, you have to purchase 3 types of ins.
Regular,wind,and flood.

I am paying more now,than for a home twice as large
that i had in DFW.
Hurricanes are the reason.

ETA: State Farm took a beating here,and in Florida the last few big storms.
I am on the upper Texas coast,close to Pt.Arthur
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 10:50:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I will give Farmers a call to get an estimate.

Thanks !!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to call some realtors down there and get their opinion on who their clients are using.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I just switched my home\hazard and wind to Allied.  Saved me over a 1K combining the wind.  Stay away from TWIA if you have to get wind storm they are not a very sound company.  I had UPC previously they were cheaper and more solvent company than TWIA.

Copano Bay can mean a lot of places or Rockport\Bayside are very different Rockport is going up and up in price.  Portland is insane what they are charging for stuff south Corpus is ok but taxes are high IMO.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#5]
We will be down there Friday and Saturday to look around and hang at Port A.

I'll find a realtor to ask as well.

Thanks guys, y'all rock !!
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been with Allstate for 15 years.  It's been a good experience.  I haven't shopped my rate in quite a while though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:00:32 PM EDT
[#7]
When we lived in Clear Lake, we used Safeco. (We still do, but now we're not in hurricane central). A bunch of companies wouldn't cover us, so you'll probably have to call a lot. If you live too close to the coast, you might not have any private companies willing to cover you, in which case you're stuck with TWIA - we had some friends in that situation. Flood insurance is a separate thing from homeowner's insurance, and you should check to see what level of flood zone the houses you're looking at are in. We were in the 100-year zone, and so our mortgage company didn't require that we get flood insurance, but we did anyways because...you know...south Houston and all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Why have insurance?

I dropped my flood and windstorm and kept homeowners because of fire only.  It costs about $3,000 annually for flood and windstorm.  If we have a bad hurricane about once every 20 years, that's about $60,000 in premiums.  Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why have insurance?

I dropped my flood and windstorm and kept homeowners because of fire only.  It costs about $3,000 annually for flood and windstorm.  If we have a bad hurricane about once every 20 years, that's about $60,000 in premiums.  Is it worth it?
View Quote
Do you have enough cash to pay for repairs after a natural disaster.  

Hurricane Ike did a number to my neighbor across the street as 3 trees fell on his home.  Total cost was $285,000 in repairs (4,000 sq ft home) plus paying for a place for him and his family to live in for over 1 year while the contractors rebuild the house.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Consumer Reports just did an article on Home Owners insurance if you can find a copy, Amica was tops with USAAA right behind.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks !!

Might make some calls later today now that we know what area we want to buy in.

We like the neighborhood on North Padre Island (Corpus Christi) that has some condos with boat slips in our price range.
Very quick to get back in the bay from there.

After visiting a bunch of areas all around Corpus Christi Bay we liked that one the best.
Can't afford anything on Port Aransas except maybe a house several blocks from the beach.
Port A is just too busy in the summer anyhow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top