Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/28/2017 3:45:26 PM EDT
My employer maybe opening up work locations out of both airports.  Where would you want to live if needing to drive in to either of those places 2-4 times a week?

The more land, the more rural the better.  Lower taxes are always nice as well.  

Is there a good place to shoot long range in the area?

I pretty much know nothing of Dallas and the surrounding area.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I worked at DFW for 5 years. I lived in Hurst which is near the airport, like 15 minutes away, then I moved to East Dallas, which was like 40 minutes away if you worked a shift that was off peak traffic hours. If you're working at the airport proper and they make you park out in the BFE employee parking area, then add 20 to 30 minutes to your commute time to get to work, not counting if you have to clear security when you get there. Going home was worse because the bus ran less frequent at night taking you back to the parking lot.

I came to the conclusion that I was spending 15 hours a week trying to get to a job that I hated and wasn't getting paid for those hours. When I lived close, I still spending close to 8 to 10 hours a week. Would have been better off if I had 10 or 12 hours shifts.

As far as country living, I had a friend who lived out towards Justin, but that area was blowing up last time I was out that way.

DAL - Love Field is a lot smaller, closer to downtown Dallas. Traffic is still gonna suck during peak hours and you'll still probably spend more than an hour on the road trying to get there. I dunno what the employee situation is there.

DAL was recently remodeled, it's pretty sharp. DFW had built a new terminal and was trying to renovate everything else when I left.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:14:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I fly out of DFW once or twice a month.

I park in the high dollar, $24 a day parking, Its not too bad, but If I worked there, not sure the boss would pay for that.

He is correct on the traffic.......it fuckin' sucks.

Justin is getting busy, but is still better than the east options.

Plenty of places to shoot within an hours drive of either airport.

There is a match of some sort each day of the weekend and on Wed. 3 Gun, 2 gun, Long range, clays, and a whole lotta USPSA and IDPA.
Still amazes me how many places there are to shoot in this area.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 9:26:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Both airports are relatively close to each other so it depends where you'd want to live.  I know plenty of people that drive by DFW to go to DAL.

Pull up a map and/or visit the area to help make your own decision.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 8:24:13 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're talking acreage, your best bet is DFW as you can head out west on Hwy 114. Yes, if you're on acreage, it will be a commute to either airport, but it can be done and I have friends that do that and live in the country.

If you end up at DAL, your best bets for acreage are well south of Dallas or out east towards Rockwall.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

I'll need to grab the wife and jump on airplane to go check the area out.  Her brother and family live in Dallas so we can visit with them as well.

I'm just not sure if I can be a Cowboy's fan yet.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 3:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
What is a Ute?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:15:37 PM EDT
[#7]
It either references the sports team at the University or the Indians from around UT/CO.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I office out of DFW and have been for over 15 years.   Traffic coming from any direction is no fun but manageable if you are flexible on times (I typically get into the office around 5:45am).  Currently they are working on Hwy 121 and parts of 114 - once completed things will be much better.  Until they start working on some other hwy or portion.  One thing you will learn about the DFW Metroplex is that there is always some Hwy construction.  I live 22 miles away from the irport and it takes me about 30 min to get to wk and between 45 min to an hour to get home.

As others have said Love Field isn't too much further but it is in a more condensed area so traffic can be pretty bad.  Again times will make a big difference.  

One last item - when you are scouting locations and determining your drive be on the lookout for toll roads.   Almost all new hwy construction is toll now.   This can add up if you aren't careful and the only thing worse than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic is paying for the privilege of doing so.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.

I'll need to grab the wife and jump on airplane to go check the area out.  Her brother and family live in Dallas so we can visit with them as well.

I'm just not sure if I can be a Cowboy's fan yet.
View Quote
You'll be surprised how many fans there are of other NFL teams here.  Pick a team and I'm sure they'll have a watching party at one of the bars - this area is full of transplants.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top