Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2017 11:09:26 AM EDT
Just trying to verify. Lone Star Gun range on Lawson Rd? One of my neighbors was talking about how good it was, then one of our other neighbors said it was the same guy who owned Fusion. If it was, I wanted to enlighten them.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:53:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I know a couple of people that shoot there. They have no complaints at all. I would be pissed off if I was the one who gets bumped off a lane after paying and waiting. That is the only flaw I see from just reading the rules. Good way to stir up a shit storm/fight/or worse between customers.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 12:43:46 PM EDT
[#2]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_8/605342_.html
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Gracias.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 9:30:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Channel 11 did a story about this gun range on the 6pm news tonight. Nearby landowners are complaining that they are seeing rounds leaving the gun range and landing on their property. Can't find a link to the story on their website at the moment but it is on the FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/CBSDFW

This link might work to the video, or not:

https://www.facebook.com/CBSDFW/videos/1584451711577959/
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:19:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw that story. Another short lived range.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:55:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I saw that story. Another short lived range.
View Quote
Looking at their property via Google Earth, it appears that the berms and backstops might be inadequate on a large scale.

Three easy to point out issues:

1. Army Corps of Engineers frowns upon construction in their floodplain as well in regards to discharging of material(the berms).

2. Much of that work in the PFO1A of that property is federally delineated wetlands and would require a 404 Nationwide Permit under the Clean Water Act. Wonder if they got one prior to construction.

3.Other issue is if rounds are leaving the property. If so, the rounds likely cross the East Fork of the Trinity River, a navigable waterway in the State of Texas. A big no-no. Even discharging across property lines is illegal but there is something about shooting across a navigable waterway that is really a red flag for the State.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looking at their property via Google Earth, it appears that the berms and backstops might be inadequate on a large scale.
View Quote
If it is owned buy the same guy that owns Fusion, then it is a sure bet the berms are inadequate. The berms dirt piles for the rifle range at Fusion was barely 6-7 high with rubber tires on top. IIRC, NRA standards for rifle ranges dictate that the berms should be 12 ft high.

The Fusion guy is a dishonest crook. I had to file a dispute with PayPal over some classes I paid for that never got scheduled (long story). I won the dispute because he never bothered to give PayPal a reply.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...The Fusion guy is a dishonest crook...
View Quote
This x 1000.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:50:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Do certificates of occupancy not come into play there? It is not exactly out in the sticks.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 6:49:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do certificates of occupancy not come into play there? It is not exactly out in the sticks.
View Quote
Dallas county issue since it is outside the city limits.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 1:31:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is in Mesquite's extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) area, actually. Just a matter of time before the hammer comes down. Federal, State, County, City hammer. Take your pick.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 3:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know a couple of people that shoot there. They have no complaints at all. I would be pissed off if I was the one who gets bumped off a lane after paying and waiting. That is the only flaw I see from just reading the rules. Good way to stir up a shit storm/fight/or worse between customers.
View Quote
Wait, has that happened?
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wait, has that happened?
View Quote
I don't know. I have never been there.
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 8:10:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is in Mesquite's extraterritorial jurisdiction (ETJ) area, actually. Just a matter of time before the hammer comes down. Federal, State, County, City hammer. Take your pick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turns out a portion is in Kaufman County and thanks to a court order, no shooting until after Sept 12th  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#15]
No shooting at the range until further notice. They sent an email out to members tonight discussing the issues.

Karma in action?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:12:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Since i don't live up there, is this the old Gibson's Outpost?
Did they finally sell?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Since i don't live up there, is this the old Gibson's Outpost?
Did they finally sell?
View Quote
Nope.  Different place.  Gibson's is south side of the catfish farm.  This place is on the north side.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 11:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Nope.  Different place.  Gibson's is south side of the catfish farm.  This place is on the north side.
View Quote
Thanks ! I used to shoot Hunters Pistol matches @ Gibson's.
If i remember, it is flat all the was to the river,on the North side of the catfish farm.
Surprised he got the Ok to put a range there.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:38:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks ! I used to shoot Hunters Pistol matches @ Gibson's.
If i remember, it is flat all the was to the river,on the North side of the catfish farm.
Surprised he got the Ok to put a range there.
View Quote
I think that is part of this discussion. There are questions apparently as to whether or not he did get/have appropriate permits etc from the Corps of Engineers, county, etc. for the property. We shall see.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No shooting at the range until further notice. They sent an email out to members tonight discussing the issues.

Karma in action?
View Quote
Anyone have a copy of the email???????
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:00:23 AM EDT
[#21]
There is an /update page on their website, but I am not going to link it

I saw them STILL trying to sell memberships at gun show last weekend.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 3:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There is an /update page on their website, but I am not going to link it

I saw them STILL trying to sell memberships at gun show last weekend.
View Quote
I saw them at the show also. I almost stopped to ask him but I decided it was a waste of time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Dug around--apparently hit with a restraining order to cease ops.

Ranger owenr says its a 2A issue and started a donation account.
Others have stated its ID-10-T error of range setup.

YMMV

Take a look at post 21
"Upgrade range to NRA standards"  -- Boy, you shoulda thought of that BEFORE your opened
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top