Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 8:16:45 PM EDT
Any recommendations as to a good Tex-Mex restaurant aorund Plano, Allen, McKinney, Richardson, Rowlet, Garland area?

I realize this is kind of a broad area. Planning on meeting some friends for dinner next weekend and trying to find a place in the middle for us.

Bonus points if they have salsa hot enough to remove paint.

Edited to add hole in the wall places are good as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Blue Goose in Plano is pretty damn good.  No idea on the salsa requirement though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Pappasito's has a place in Richardson. Some of the best fajitas around.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#3]
We like Nicos in Carrollton on Josey and Frankford (hole in the wall).  It's down the road from us so we frequent it.  The salsa is not hot though
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just west of tollway at Trinity Mills...red salsa won't take the paint off, but good level of hot combined with good flavor. Also serve a green with much more flavor, lot less hot.

Mena's Tex Mex Grill
2810 E Trinity Mills Rd
Ste 197
Carrollton, TX 75006
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep them coming please. My wife and will most likely try them all soon. I can make do without the hot salsa ( have habeneros in the garden), its just something my family enjoys.

We are going to meet a friend and his wife for dinner next weekend. In my area the pickins are slim.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite place is a dump. Great food and they have a Salsa  for tacos that is very hot.
Don't go there with a couple.

For a nicer place go to
Urban Rio.  Also consider Anamia's in West Plano

Both of those places are nice
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Wife and I both love Luna De Noche in Plano on Preston - it's basically our go-to tex-mex.

Everything we have had has been excellent and we've been going back for 6-7 years now. She loves the tortilla soup and margaritas, and I usually go with the burrito platter with the shredded beef (it's fantastic). Fajitas are excellent and they do a tableside guacamole that I understand is pretty impressive. The chips and salsa are like crack - not too hot, but great flavor and the chips usually come out hot. We've literally never had a bad meal there and we try to stop in at least every week or two.

Great food, reasonable prices, and the same folks are there year after year which is nice to see.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Goose in Plano is pretty damn good.  No idea on the salsa requirement though.
View Quote
I like Blue Goose, although salsa isn't a face melter (my gut can't handle much of that these days anyway)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:23:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Chuy's (two locations in Plano)......can't beat their happy hour.
When I used to work in Richardson we would eat once a week at Dos Charros (Plano Rd @ Beltline)
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Chuy's (two locations in Plano)......can't beat their happy hour.
View Quote
Too much onion in most of their dishes for me, but their queso is pretty good, so is happy hour
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 on Anamia's, Luna De Noche.  Both are outstanding. If you check out Anamia's their queso is must try.

Blue Goose is okay, but their hot sauce is seriously anemic. More spaghetti sauce than hot sauce.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Too much onion in most of their dishes for me, but their queso is pretty good, so is happy hour
View Quote
If I have a choice for my last meal it would be the Elvis Fried Chicken.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Chuys
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:17:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Urban taco at mockingbird station in Dallas. Get the chicken tinga bowl with the 3 salsa chips.  We do corn, pablano papito pesto, avocado and lime.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#15]
If you don't mind driving just a little bit further south, Cantina Laredo in Addison is excellent (or least was when I was a regular there).
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 2:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Mariano's Mexican Hacienda in Dallas close to the intersection of Abrams and Skillman is what you seek. They serve two salsas, ones sweet and the other is fire roasted. Don't order the regular Queso, ask for the Sundance Queso (very spicy and insanly good), amazing wood fired steak fajitas and frozen margaritas that are so perfect you'll wonder how they can get much better. Seriously this place is AWESOME!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Chitos is a family / non chain txmx located on 75 in front of Main Event in Plano.  Highly recommended and they should be able to meet your salsa needs.

http://www.chitosmexicanrestaurant.com/
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:13:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you everybody for the suggestions. It is time for me to decide which one to try first.

I will throw out that El Pueblito in Plano is good. Arroyo's in Sherman is also very good I eat here frequently and also order for work on occasion from here.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
The one in McKinney is good. Just use cash when you pay. People had their cards skimmed on different occasions.  Think it happened to CCSO there too.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#20]
San Miguel in Mckinney hwy 380 east of 75. Authentic food family owned. Good. Closed on Sunday
Link Posted: 6/25/2017 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If you don't mind driving just a little bit further south, Cantina Laredo in Addison is excellent (or least was when I was a regular there).
View Quote
There's a Cantina Laredo at 121/Legacy in Plano.  And I agree with Skibane. It's good too.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#23]
If you don't mind going a little further east...Freddies on 78 in Wylie/Sachse is awesome.....
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 3:02:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Cristina's is pretty good for a chain restaurant.  They have several locations scattered throughout the Metroplex.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Mesa's Mexican Grill.  Three locations, Prosper, Allen and McKinney.  Good people, great food.

http://mesasgrill.com
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 8:16:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Cristina's is pretty good for a chain restaurant.  They have several locations scattered throughout the Metroplex.
View Quote
Yes and they have very hot salsa but you have to ask for it.

Another great place is La Hacienda (Frisco) and they have the *best* salsa flavor-wise, hands down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Chitos is a family / non chain txmx located on 75 in front of Main Event in Plano.  Highly recommended and they should be able to meet your salsa needs.

http://www.chitosmexicanrestaurant.com/
View Quote
If you care about giving money to scumbags, don't eat there. That's all I'm going to say. And I'm not going to explain. Take it or leave it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thank you everybody for the suggestions. It is time for me to decide which one to try first.

I will throw out that El Pueblito in Plano is good. Arroyo's in Sherman is also very good I eat here frequently and also order for work on occasion from here.
View Quote
Excellent but I left it out as I figured you wanted something nicer. Food is awesome. Tino's Too is superb.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 11:30:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Taco Bodega in Garland will probably meet your salsa requirements.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:05:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote
I like Christina's. The Hwy 1171-Shiloh Rd location is the best one. It might even be their first.

A couple of brothers that used to cook for Christina's left and started their own place in Justin.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If you care about giving money to scumbags, don't eat there. That's all I'm going to say. And I'm not going to explain. Take it or leave it.
View Quote
Well, that answers that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#32]
We ended up eating at Alejandro's in Rowlett. Had the combo fajitas which were good.

Their "normal" salsa was mild. I got the waiter to bring something hotter so he brought out some habanero salsa. (Pretty much pureed habanero)

This salsa had a little more heat than their normal salsa but was still not hot.

Thank you everyone for their recommendations. I have visited some of the chain locations mentioned and was not impressed. I will give them another chance.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 9:37:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Mi Dia in Plano is amazing.  By far my favorite.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 7:32:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I always take visitors from out of town to Pappasitos, and there were a few mentions of Anamia's here too... also very good.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#35]
If you are in northern Collin/southern Grayson check out La Cima in Van Alstyne at FM3356 and FM121 four miles west of US75. The cheese enchiladas with fajita meat on top are excellent.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:58:02 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had good luck at Uncle Julio's
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I like Christina's. The Hwy 1171-Shiloh Rd location is the best one. It might even be their first.

A couple of brothers that used to cook for Christina's left and started their own place in Justin.
View Quote
It's called Margarita's and it's decent. It's a tiny place though.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just west of tollway at Trinity Mills...red salsa won't take the paint off, but good level of hot combined with good flavor. Also serve a green with much more flavor, lot less hot.

Mena's Tex Mex Grill
2810 E Trinity Mills Rd
Ste 197
Carrollton, TX 75006
View Quote
I second this. Very good food
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Check out Meso Maya across from the Perot Museum.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Fuel City 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top