Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2017 5:54:23 PM EDT
Anyone know of any companies that will do residential network cabling in McKinney? Need about 15 or so drops in an existing house.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:19:14 AM EDT
[#1]
That is a lot of drops.  Last time a I was doing residential I was charging $150 per drop (2004ish).  I hated residential.  I doubt you will find a lot of commercial companies that will do existing residential.  You might check out Craiglist.  Alarm installers were always better at fishing walls and hard to reach locations.  All most anyone can jack it.  Even an 8 year old.  I know my daughter could punch jacks and patch panels.  Just make sure they DON'T put on "RJ45's" at the closet end.  You want a patch panel or jacks.  This will give you more options down the road.  Also, I would try to go with Cat 6 if you can swing it.  It will not be that much more in material cost.  Another thing to do in some locations is drop 2 cable where you were only going to drop one.  This give you some future proofing.  Most installers will cut you a break on multiple cables in one drop.   You can get cheap but good patch cables at PIMFG.com
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Tagged, because I need a few drops myself and after wiring up my last three houses (and being a network engineer for a living), I have NO DESIRE to do it EVER again. God I hate doing residential structured wiring. HATE. IT. 

I will gladly pay. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Company link below will do residential. I have used them for commercial work, and also at my house.  They charge a $120 a drop.  Their commercial work has always been good. I will say the work they did at my house was more "standard" quality, typical contractor work. Nothing really bad, but several items not completed, or completed poorly, that I had to finish up. But like most residential work, I had a couple of areas that was challenging to run cable, and they spent a lot of extra time to get the job done. All in all, I was satisfied with the result.

I know the owner, and he is a nice guy and honest. He won't cheat you, and you won't have to worry about his guys stealing anything. Also, when they did the wiring at my home, I asked my girlfriend to let them in the house, so nice not to worry about that as well.

Integrated Image and Sound
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Damn, I hate crawling into attics as much as the next guy, but $120 - $150! I guess if you want it on a perimeter wall instead of an interior wall that makes it worse. What are you doing that you want everything wired? VS wireless?

I have an old house that needs to be completely rewired. We are talking about tearing out sheet rock on at least one wall in every room just to help run the wires, but we won't tear the whole thing out. There will be some fishing involved. If I tear out the perimeter walls, I can re-insulate the whole thing, which might be the best option. I guess I'll put some cat 6 drops in while I got it open.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:04:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Company link below will do residential. I have used them for commercial work, and also at my house.  They charge a $120 a drop.  Their commercial work has always been good. I will say the work they did at my house was more "standard" quality, typical contractor work. Nothing really bad, but several items not completed, or completed poorly, that I had to finish up. But like most residential work, I had a couple of areas that was challenging to run cable, and they spent a lot of extra time to get the job done. All in all, I was satisfied with the result.

I know the owner, and he is a nice guy and honest. He won't cheat you, and you won't have to worry about his guys stealing anything. Also, when they did the wiring at my home, I asked my girlfriend to let them in the house, so nice not to worry about that as well.

Integrated Image and Sound
View Quote
I'll definitely be giving them a call. I don't even need them to mount the rack/patch panel/etc (or terminate anything), I just want them to pull it. I'll even provide the (mounted) rack and patch panel. I just don't want to climb through my attic, fish cables through walls, mount receptacles, etc. If I have to re-punch a few things, I won't give a shit. 
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#6]
The other thing to do it wait till "winter" time and the install will go much smoother.  Summer time you just want out!!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Make them show you proof of insurance. Call to verify their insurance. Lots of trunk slammers out there do not have insurance of any kind.

Lots of trunk slammers are trunk slammers because they can't pass a background check or drug test to work at a reputable company.

Remember that your attitude can change the price that is bid. You are also at the mercy of the technician or technicians that come to your home.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll definitely be giving them a call. I don't even need them to mount the rack/patch panel/etc (or terminate anything), I just want them to pull it. I'll even provide the (mounted) rack and patch panel. I just don't want to climb through my attic, fish cables through walls, mount receptacles, etc. If I have to re-punch a few things, I won't give a shit. 
View Quote
That is basically where i am at. I cabled my current house and it wasn't any fun at all. Much cheaper doing it yourself obviously, but i'll gladly bring out the check book this time around.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 11:28:33 PM EDT
[#9]
oops wrong thread....I need a drink.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Why don't you use home plugs. We have about 7 connections with them and it's worked great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top