Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2017 8:35:02 AM EDT
Wife and I have got the hiking bug recently. Tried Colorado Bend State Park this weekend and saw the waterfall. Awesome trip, falls were beautiful.

Wanna try and stay within about 1.5 hours of Georgetown area if possible. Longer trips might be in the books down the road though if the destination is worth it.

Got any super sweet spots?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:29:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Pedernales Falls State Park is a pretty good spot. Austin area - just West of town.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Upper all the way down to lower Bull Creek off of 360 in Austin.

Enchanted Rock.

Did the hiking trail in River Place ever open back up fully?
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
For longer

Enchanted Rock
Lost Maples
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For longer

Enchanted Rock
Lost Maples
View Quote
Any tips on Enchanted Rock? I'm thinking about camping out there July 3 and doing a bunch of hiking.

Any idea which "backpacking" camp site is going to get me more shade and fewer visitors? Is non-potable (but purafiable) water available from that lake I keep seeing pictures of?
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Barton Creek greenbelt in Austin
Lost Maples
Pace Bend
Balcones Canyonlands
Reimers Ranch
Guadalupe River 
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Palmetto State Park south of Luling off of 183
Link Posted: 6/21/2017 11:57:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Cedar Breaks at Lake Georgetown. The trail actually goes all the way around the lake but would take at least 2 days to complete.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Enchanted Rock.  Bring water. If you are camping I think you have to make reservations well in advance. I never bothered since it's an hour's drive from the house. Keep in mind, no bikes allowed.

Barton Creek Greenbelt? Only if drunks, piles of dog shit and homeless are your thing.

Might want to look at Turkey Bend rec area, halfway between Marble Falls and Lago Vista. Primitave camping with lake Travis access.
Link Posted: 6/22/2017 10:54:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Enchanted Rock.  Bring water. If you are camping I think you have to make reservations well in advance. I never bothered since it's an hour's drive from the house. Keep in mind, no bikes allowed.

Barton Creek Greenbelt? Only if drunks, piles of dog shit and homeless are your thing.

Might want to look at Turkey Bend rec area, halfway between Marble Falls and Lago Vista. Primitave camping with lake Travis access.
View Quote
I'd strongly disagree on Barton Creek. Yeah, there's a few areas that get crowds on weekends, but on most weekdays I can hike a few miles and only see 2-3 people, and some of the views (especially around Urban Assault and one area about a 20 minute hike north-ish from the Seismic Wall) are absolutely incredible.

You just need to be really careful about the cliffs and not get offended by the occasional topless swimmer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Barton Creek Greenbelt is pretty awesome for hiking. If you hike there in the morning, you avoid all the afternoon asshats that don't roll out of bed till the crack of noon. There are some really remote box canyons and special areas even within a 30 minute walk of Barton Springs.

I don't recommend swimming in Barton Creek. The e.coli loads are usually very high and can make a healthy person sick.

The trailhead on Spyglass is a great entry point.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Lost Maples is a fun one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top