Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2017 5:47:17 PM EDT
Does anyone know which units are the best for hunting hogs on Lake Lavon? I'm thinking I might run out there this evening and wonder around units 12 or 13 a little. 

UPDATE:  I found a spot with plenty of sign and set some bait. I will be going out on Wednesday evening. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
If you have access to a map look for low lying areas around creeks/streams first. On the ground I look for food sources that transition into water and bedding areas.
Look for torn up ground, worn trails and tracks and piles of turds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Plan as of now is to park at the end of Cr 565 or Cr 615. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:57:43 PM EDT
[#3]
615 looks good with the woods and the stock tank, however the 515 has plenty of cover and likely food sources that are further away from traffic. If hogs are in the area either location should be good. I like hunting around water during mid day and afternoons.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:32:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I wondered around for an hour and a half and saw some sign, so I know there out there but I didn't see any. 

I didn't get very far in but I learned some stuff. 
First, I'm loud as hell. Second, I don't know crap about hunting if it's not from a blind.   I'll have to get back out there soon and find a way closer to the water. Maybe find a place to spread some corn and attractannt. The ranger said hand baiting was allowed, just can't leave a feeder out over night. 

If anyone is willing to share a good spot or even looking for someone to go out there with let me know. 
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive shot  a few out there.  All of them had previous festering gunshot wounds. .223 in the legs and haunch.

Snake city BTW
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 2:39:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ive shot  a few out there.  All of them had previous festering gunshot wounds. .223 in the legs and haunch.

Snake city BTW
View Quote
That sucks. Rifles aren't even allowed on the A.C.E. land. 

Could you give me any tips for my next trip?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:31:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I found a spot torn all to hell and gone with the trees all rubbed on. Dumped one bucket on the ground and buried the other in a shallow hole.  

While I was digging there was a hog grunting off in the woods but of course I had put the gun in the truck so I could carry the buckets the half mile into the woods. If I had had it I would have at least tried to track it down. I'm for sure going out on Wednesday night to sit were I threw the corn.  

Still need a partner. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:21:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm close to the area you posted. Are you planning on night hunting? I have night vision and can borrow hand held thermal.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 7:30:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Yes, I plan on getting out there around 7:30pm and staying until I get tired of feeding the mosquitos. 

Do you have the permit to hunt the Corp of engineer land? If not it's free but you have to go by the lake office on the south end of the lake to get it the first time. Unit 9 is also shotgun slug only for hog. 

I just wanted to add that ended up going in off of 2756 at the creek and walking down
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes, I plan on getting out there around 7:30pm and staying until I get tired of feeding the mosquitos. 

Do you have the permit to hunt the Corp of engineer land? If not it's free but you have to go by the lake office on the south end of the lake to get it the first time. Unit 9 is also shotgun slug only for hog. 

I just wanted to add that ended up going in off of 2756 at the creek and walking down
View Quote
I don't have a permit. Do you require the permit on top of the hunting license? I would have to get some slugs and check my zero. Shoot me a PM and maybe we can get out there soon.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, you have to get the permit from the lake office to hunt on the corp lands but like I said it's free. You also have to wear blaze orange vest and headgear. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 3:21:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
UPDATE:  I found a spot with plenty of sign and set some bait. I will be going out on Wednesday evening. 
View Quote

Baiting on public land is illegal, according to the Game Warden TV Show. Is there an exemption, special rule, different rules for Fed Land? Anyone know?
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Baiting on public land is illegal, according to the Game Warden TV Show. Is there an exemption, special rule, different rules for Fed Land? Anyone know?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I asked the A.C.E. ranger about spreading corn when I applied for the permit and he said it was ok. Went something like this. 

Me:I know I can't put out a feeder but what about hand spreading corn for hogs, is that ok?
Ranger:Actually, you could put out a feeder. You'd just have to have it out by the end of the day. 
Me:Really? So hand baiting corn for hogs is ok?
Ranger: Yes. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:42:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Walk cross wind until you smell them then walk into the wind until you see them.

Shoot them and have a stroke or heart attack getting them out before they spoil.

Have fun and repeat as necessary
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Walk cross wind until you smell them then walk into the wind until you see them.

Shoot them and have a stroke or heart attack getting them out before they spoil.

View Quote
You make walking in any one direction sound like it's easy out there. Lol. It's thick as hell everywhere I've been. 
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:30:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You make walking in any one direction sound like it's easy out there. Lol. It's thick as hell everywhere I've been. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry I don't know the area you are going but we have a guy on our lease near yokum who has great success doing it that way and he may have to detour out of his way 100 yards or so but then he gets back on track. When no one is there he can hunt the whole 2600 acres.

He has walked right up inside a group of them and killed several.

But he came from Minnesota and was a shooter on drive hunts. Plus he bow hunts and he has no problem shooting animals on the run.

I have walked miles through brush
Checking over head lines and you can really smell them in bunches.

It is amazing what you can stalk if you keep the wind in your favor.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sorry I don't know the area you are going but we have a guy on our lease near yokum who has great success doing it that way and he may have to detour out of his way 100 yards or so but then he gets back on track. When no one is there he can hunt the whole 2600 acres.

But he came from Minnesota and was a shooter on drive hunts. Plus he bow hunts and he has no problem shooting animals on the run.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tips. I'm always willing to new things.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 11:42:57 PM EDT
[#18]
This time of year is just miserable man. Snakes all over, mosquitoes swarming, hogs covered in ticks, and temp/humidity combo that can get you heat exhaustion trying to get a decent size pig back to the truck. If you have an itch that needs scratching more power to you but just do not let the tough time turn you off completely. Getting back out there at year end when it cools down should be a lot of fun.

Seriously, watch out for snakes in that area. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:18:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This time of year is just miserable man. Snakes all over, mosquitoes swarming, hogs covered in ticks, and temp/humidity combo that can get you heat exhaustion trying to get a decent size pig back to the truck. If you have an itch that needs scratching more power to you but just do not let the tough time turn you off completely. Getting back out there at year end when it cools down should be a lot of fun.

Seriously, watch out for snakes in that area. Best of luck.
View Quote
It was about 85-90 when I was there Saturday and the mosquitoes didn't get bad until a sweated all the DEET off. 

Really I'm just having withdraws from being in the city for too long. I'm a country boy that's been living in Dallas the last 5 years, not being able to shoot and compete the way I used t. Add to that  family obligations and I just need some time out in the quiet of the trees. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 3:08:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Backbencher and I ran out on Wednesday night and checked the corn. Nothing had touched it. I still can't believe it with all the hog sign that's out there. 

We walked even further into the unit until we began loosing light and except for spooking something on the other side of the creek that we couldn't get to we didn't see or hear anything.

We ended the evening sitting on the corn until about 10:40 or so and then called it a night. Oh well such is hunting. 
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 12:42:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Take a five gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 with corn, add some water, cheap beer and kool aid mix and let it sit for a week or two.

Then go spread it out. That should get them coming in.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Take a five gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 with corn, add some water, cheap beer and kool aid mix and let it sit for a week or two.

Then go spread it out. That should get them coming in.
View Quote
The corn I spread on Saturday was soured. They either didn't find or didn't touch it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Snakes are bad in that area.
Watch out for the Lake People.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 3:44:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I had the day off so I made another trip, this time to unit 12. 

Still didn't see anything but sign. Lots of tracks and wallows. Only interesting thing I found was a little 5 point skull. 

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top