Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2017 6:36:34 AM EDT
My wife was in an accident with a USAA policy holder on Monday the 15th and we are getting nowhere with having our claim settled.  It may not be much time, but I think it is pretty cut and dried situation.  Our car was a 2004 Dodge Neon which was totaled (IMO) and the value could not be more than $1800 or so.  My wife also had to go to the hospital as she did bruise her knee pretty good.  My work insurance covered that so it is not like this whole thing will cost them more than $2300 or so with towing and storage fees.  I have been lucky not to have to deal with an auto insurance claim for many years so I am wondering how long these things typically take to be done.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My wife was in an accident with a USAA policy holder on Monday the 15th and we are getting nowhere with having our claim settled.  It may not be much time, but I think it is pretty cut and dried situation.  Our car was a 2004 Dodge Neon which was totaled (IMO) and the value could not be more than $1800 or so.  My wife also had to go to the hospital as she did bruise her knee pretty good.  My work insurance covered that so it is not like this whole thing will cost them more than $2300 or so with towing and storage fees.  I have been lucky not to have to deal with an auto insurance claim for many years so I am wondering how long these things typically take to be done.

Thank you.
View Quote

I have been with USAA most of my life and would say the quality of service is among the worst I have ever seen. They have grown the membership rapidly in recent years, and quality has taken a nosedive.

I am now in month 3 trying to get a USAA to estimate/approve hail damage. It is unfucking believable how slow and stupid they are compared to 10 years ago when they were by and far the best.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 12:06:43 PM EDT
[#2]
We got hit by a woman with USAA last fall. We didn't deal with USAA that much, but they were better than the a-holes at Progressive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 3:41:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Every case I have at work that involves USAA ends with a lawsuit. They have been awful the past ~5 years with both first party and third party claims. 

And I say that as a USAA member (who no longer buys insurance from them)

good luck. 
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thank you.
View Quote

Why are you dealing with USAA?  That's what you pay your insurance company for.  Call them, have them deal with USAA.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the input guys.  It is appreciated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
It's only been 5 days, your wife went to the hospital and and you're unhappy you don't have a check yet?   I think your expectations are not realistic.   They are going to be very cautious since there was an injury, so expect this to take some time to resolve.

Also, FWIW, USAA's biz model until a few years ago was to insure ex-military and their families.   Once they captured this market, they ran into a growth roadblock.   They've since eased their standards in order to pursue more growth, and that move coincides with the complaints you hear about them nowadays.   
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 9:45:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's only been 5 days, your wife went to the hospital and and you're unhappy you don't have a check yet?   I think your expectations are not realistic.   They are going to be very cautious since there was an injury, so expect this to take some time to resolve.

Also, FWIW, USAA's biz model until a few years ago was to insure ex-military and their families.   Once they captured this market, they ran into a growth roadblock.   They've since eased their standards in order to pursue more growth, and that move coincides with the complaints you hear about them nowadays.   
View Quote
Not expecting a check Mojo_Jojp.  Expecting a little information on when they will do an estimate or what I need to do to expedite the process.  We both work so one vehicle makes it a little tough and quite frankly,  We don't want to rent a car, if we do, any longer than we have to.  I know we will lose money on this deal no matter which way it goes. I certainly did not mean it as an attack on USAA in particular.  Sorry if it came across that way. I guess you are right about my expectations being high.  But in an age when a person can apply for a credit card online, get an answer in one minute and get a higher credit limit than what this incident is going to cost, I guess I am becoming accustom to a quick response.   Thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 11:24:29 AM EDT
[#8]
No criticism of you intended, OP.  It's a sucky situation for sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top