Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2017 7:28:24 AM EDT
Am I the last to hear that Gander is closing? I guess I will go see where they are with liquidation pricing. I have been part of more than one major retailer closing. The really good pricing comes when specific locations are selected to move remaining stuff.
I only got to go into the new Frisco store a couple of times. They swapped several items for new for me that other retailers would have made me ship for service.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The Sugar Land Gander  is slated to close in August ..
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:02:22 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought it was a restructure rather than a complete closing. From what I heard the prices are still way too high. Prob marked it all up just to mark it down.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:25:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Prob marked it all up just to mark it down.
View Quote
You mean like this...

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo. It would not surprise me though. My father in law worked at Gander for a couple years from his stories, I'd say this is par for the course. From what I understand, the College Station store will be staying open.

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:43:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You mean like this...

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the photo. It would not surprise me though. My father in law worked at Gander for a couple years from his stories, I'd say this is par for the course. From what I understand, the College Station store will be staying open.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/reubjames/18424205_1226078450853687_8725001734238262725_n.png
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Prob marked it all up just to mark it down.
You mean like this...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j326/reubjames/18424205_1226078450853687_8725001734238262725_n.png
Only deal I ever found at Gander Mountain was a used (like new) SS GP100 for $350... honestly I think if they'd known it was worth more they would have marked it up $100+ over the actual value
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#5]
The one by me even with the 10 or 15% off is still above retail on most of what I was looking at.

Safe accessories, reloading stuff etc..

Just sitting and waiting for them to drop more.

It's a shame but it is understandable why.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#6]
One here in Lubbock is closing. All the good shit got shipped to stores staying open. They were always the most expensive place in town. Guns were at least $50-100 than the exact same thing at Cabela's.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I thought it was a restructure rather than a complete closing. From what I heard the prices are still way too high. Prob marked it all up just to mark it down.
View Quote
That was the initial report, but then they announced all stores were closing.  I believe Camping World or someone like that bought out the remainder of the company and is going to reopen like 11 stores.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Local one to me is closing also.  Pretty much still has about 80% of stuff left.  Maybe a few more weeks stuff will really be on sale.

I have been in 3 times and stuff is just sitting.  First 2 times I walked out empty handed.  

I went today and grabbed a couple 8 round S&W 9mm Shield magazines for $24 each.

I will go back in a couple of weeks....been keeping my eye on some arrows and a tree stand.  Was a few good deals on Rocky snake boots.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought an ar, a pistol, a scope, and 2 red dot sights from them, gun wise anyway. I have been buying match ammo as well. They price matched the lowest price I could find on all of the items. Their clothing was not bad on sale. Fishing gear was high without price matching. I am sure they will pull all of the new in box stuff where they owe the manufacturer money.
Where is the list of stores that will be changed to the new name? Sounds like Camping World is jumping in with both feet.
Link anybody??
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in the Sherman store yesterday. Guns were 5% off, scopes, slings and other accessories and all the fishing stuff where 10% off. The signs outside said 30% off but the only things I saw marked 30% were some rain gear and a few clothing items. Big signs saying "no discounts on ammo at this time" pretty much tells you how this is going to go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 12:22:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Liquidators tend to increase prices above MSRP and then start working down.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 11:01:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Capitalism  works. Only went there a hand full of times. Prices were consistently 10 to 20% above everyone else. Only bought a couple clothing items there when on sale a few yes ago. Did go there the other day with the closing sign up that said in large letters 30% off and above it in small letters "up to" and like the other poster said most items are 10% off  so again they are 10 to 20% higher anyway. Footwork was 20% off however and the shelves were getting thin on inventory. Did find a paid of Vasque boots in my size. Double checked 20% off vs. Prices everywhere else and it looked like an ok deal so I bought them.
I don't see how they stayed in business as long as they did.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I always though Gander Mountian was a money laundering front because I couldn't see how they could keep the doors open with no one in the stores.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok, I spend a ton of money in most retail stores that deal with guns and ammo in the DFW market.  But never one red cent in Gander Mountain.  It was always way too expensive.   Even on sale the prices were higher than everywhere else.  Someone in this thread mentioned there is a Frisco store, really?  I live a mile away in Plano and never even knew they had built one - or would of cared.  The only thing Gander Mountain has been for me is a place to meet up in their parking lot to do buy/sell deals for reasonable prices with individuals.  I'd still run into the store  on the red herring mission to see if there was anything buyable, nope.  Never.

Now Cabelas, if that store ever closed (or morph into Bass Pro with their acquisition) I think me and my family would cry for a week.  Just this weekend I was in there buying 50 round boxes of factory .45 230gr ball on sale for $13.50.  You'd be hard pressed to beat that online even.

Earl
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
One here in Lubbock is closing. All the good shit got shipped to stores staying open. They were always the most expensive place in town. Guns were at least $50-100 than the exact same thing at Cabela's.
View Quote
Agreed.
I bought several used guns at the Gander in Amarillo before they opened the one here in my home in Lubbock. 
I have never found any new or used guns at this one that weren't higher than everywhere else in town.  Even on sale.
This store was only good for fingering something before I bought it online.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:45:47 PM EDT
[#16]
The Gander Mountain in College Station is right next to an Academy.

GM parking lot was always... sparse.  The Academy parking lot is usually at least half-full.

Even with the "going out of business" markdown, their prices are - at best - even with what you can walk next door and get at Academy.

Academy is building a HUGE new facility a mile or so down the road.  

I don't know anything at all about the management of the two companies - but it's an interesting contrast.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
I guess they don't understand why they are going out of business. I was looking at a Benelli Momtefeltro for $799, I thought maybe they could compete with liquidation prices. So I give them a call and there liquidation price was $990
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#18]
How did Gander stay open when Sportsman Warehouse had to close a bunch of stores?

They had different stuff than Academy but they also had decent prices and a really good selection.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
How did Gander stay open when Sportsman Warehouse had to close a bunch of stores?

They had different stuff than Academy but they also had decent prices and a really good selection.
View Quote
The couple that owned Sportsman Warehouse got divorced and the lower performing stores got liquidated. The more western stores seemed to do a lot better.
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 12:27:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, I spend a ton of money in most retail stores that deal with guns and ammo in the DFW market.  But never one red cent in Gander Mountain.  It was always way too expensive.   Even on sale the prices were higher than everywhere else.  Someone in this thread mentioned there is a Frisco store, really?  I live a mile away in Plano and never even knew they had built one - or would of cared.  The only thing Gander Mountain has been for me is a place to meet up in their parking lot to do buy/sell deals for reasonable prices with individuals.  I'd still run into the store  on the red herring mission to see if there was anything buyable, nope.  Never.

Now Cabelas, if that store ever closed (or morph into Bass Pro with their acquisition) I think me and my family would cry for a week.  Just this weekend I was in there buying 50 round boxes of factory .45 230gr ball on sale for $13.50.  You'd be hard pressed to beat that online even.

Earl
View Quote
You missed nothing, I attended the Frisco grand opening - no real deals to be had and it is/was a smaller warehouse so very little selection.  I'm not the least bit surprised it failed - the parking lot was always empty.    Dropped by again a couple of weeks ago to check out the going out of business sale and prices were STILL MSRP, and the gun counter clearly said no discounts.   IMO, with regards to Cabela's in Plano - they should have built a full sized store like in Ft Worth.  I've been there a few times, but basically have concluded it just isn't worth the 30min drive unless there is something else I need to do over in that area. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top