Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2017 3:36:28 PM EDT
The Little gal and I just picked up a second-hand pop-top car for weekend daytrips and back road cruising.
What's your favorite "go to" joints in North and East Texas say about 125-150 mile radius of Canton (no one knows where Edgewood is)?

ETA. We're also trying to avoid most and all chain type restaurants.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The Shed in Edom. Don't forget the pie!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Shed in Edom. Don't forget the pie!
View Quote
Used to live in Chandler, know it quite well!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:09:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Huck's Catfish in Sherman, TX.

http://huckscatfish.com/
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The Red Onion in Honeygrove
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:37:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just east of Hwy 75 at the Loy Lake exit in Denison.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Just went to Dinosaur Valley State Park and Fossil Rim drive through safari. We stayed the night and did a day at both but I also have 2 toddlers.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:27:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just went to Dinosaur Valley State Park and Fossil Rim drive through safari. We stayed the night and did a day at both but I also have 2 toddlers.
View Quote
Used to live in the area.

Small state park but always liked camping and hiking there.

The wildlife park I went to quite a few times. A few of them by myself when I was bored and still enjoyed it all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, best catfish west of the Mississippi.  Fresh cut fries, hushpuppies and coleslaw are top notch.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 2:46:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Might be a bit far for your taste, but hands down one of the best chicken fried steak's in the world.

Mary's Cafe
119 Grant Ave, Strawn, TX 76475

A couple of hours west of Dallas
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#10]
+ 1 on Mary's
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I"m sure you've tried the Dairy Palace
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:17:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Stanley's BBQ in Tyler.  Good brisket and the ribs and chicken are outstanding.
The entire town of Jefferson. There is even a haunted hotel there if you make it an overnighter.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Might be a bit far for your taste, but hands down one of the best chicken fried steak's in the world.

Mary's Cafe

View Quote
Mary's is pretty good.  Pies are even better than the chicken fried steak
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 5:04:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I'll add the Ram House Café in Joaquin, the breakfast rocks.

I've heard good things about Burgerland in Sulphur Springs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've heard good things about Burgerland in Sulphur Springs.
View Quote
meh, it's so-so, I certainly would not drive out of my way for it
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 11:54:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Seth's Lake Fork restaurant has good seafood just south of Quitman
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 12:49:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Hopefully, Clark's BBQ in Tioga will reopen sometime this summer after catching fire and burning to the ground early last year.  I just hope the food quality of the new place matches the food quality of the old place.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 2:21:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Is Coffee Landing restaurant in Coffee City / Lake Palestine still there ?

I heard it burned down, but if they rebuilt, it would be a good place to eat. ( used to be anyway )
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 6:10:40 PM EDT
[#19]
The Cedar Tree in Jasper. It's 175 miles though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The Cedar Tree in Jasper. It's 175 miles though.
View Quote
Not that much more than 150.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:06:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Mary's Cafe

View Quote
Came to suggest the same.  Worth the drive if you make it out west of the Metroplex.

Oh, and the pie there is OK, but if you want great pie, try the Koffee Kup Kafe in Hico (and read up on that cafe's interesting history).
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Came to suggest the same.  Worth the drive if you make it out west of the Metroplex.

Oh, and the pie there is OK, but if you want great pie, try the Koffee Kup Kafe in Hico (and read up on that cafe's interesting history).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mary's Cafe

The pies in Hico are pretty great
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Blue Bonnet Cafe in Marble Falls, has great pie.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Luna's Tamales in Wills Point, a most excellent tamale and taco joint.
Followed by a dipped cone at the DQ, was a good Saturday drive.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the info Edward, I'm Northwest of town out in the sticks.
We've wondered about Duke's but haven't been there since before the burger joint was built.
The Chinese joint we have to watch for, we both have pretty serious seafood allergies and cross contamination could get sporty.
We'll definitely check Luna's meats, if they're as good as the Tamale joint that'll be a good place to have close by.
We'll check on Trinity Gardens too.

Hopefully something good by the Karting event also.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Every trip to Tyler to see the Wife's family I head to Kilgore to the Char-Burger Stock-Ade.  Great burgers and tea that'll cause the diabeetus.

Char-Burger Stock-Ade
206 N Kilgore St, Kilgore, TX 75662

Stanley's BBQ in Tyler is also really good.
525 S Beckham Ave, Tyler, TX 75702
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Go to Cresson.   Corner of 377 and 171 is an Exxon station and immediately south of the station is a red.....almost looks like an ice shanty.  Best breakfast burritos, amazing burgers.  Cook is a CIA grad (culinary institute of america, not the black helicopters and make you disappear kind, waking up in a mental hospital under a fake name with no idea how you got there and no one knows your there or can vouch for you drugged outta your mind).

Cash only, open breakfast and lunch most days.  Not even sure the place has a name.  There a couple picnic tables you can sit at.  It's less than a hole in a wall, no wall, just a hole.  And it's utterly fantastic.  Copy and paste this into google maps.  It's not the building, it's just the 6x10 shack.  Go all the way to street view and you'lll see the red shack behind the red Chevy pickup parked facing the street by the place selling flags.  

32.531781, -97.618086
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 11:56:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Go to Cresson.   Corner of 377 and 171 is an Exxon station and immediately south of the station is a red.....almost looks like an ice shanty.  Best breakfast burritos, amazing burgers.  Cook is a CIA grad (culinary institute of america, not the black helicopters and make you disappear kind, waking up in a mental hospital under a fake name with no idea how you got there and no one knows your there or can vouch for you drugged outta your mind).

Cash only, open breakfast and lunch most days.  Not even sure the place has a name.  There a couple picnic tables you can sit at.  It's less than a hole in a wall, no wall, just a hole.  And it's utterly fantastic.  Copy and paste this into google maps.  It's not the building, it's just the 6x10 shack.  Go all the way to street view and you'lll see the red shack behind the red Chevy pickup parked facing the street by the place selling flags.  

32.531781, -97.618086
View Quote
The sign say's Max's Kitchen in front of the place.
That's awesome. Sending this to TheMrs right now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:31:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Yes!  Max's. I couldn't come up with it.   Stupid good tacos and burgers.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Pint and Barrel Draft House  in Palestine.  

BBQ Bacon Fries w/ Pulled Pork and a Mushroom Swiss Burger

and a tasty cold brew  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:22:31 AM EDT
[#32]
If you ever want to explore the area around Austin or the Hill Country let me know.  My wife and I are members of the Corvette club here so we have been to a lot of the cruising destinations.  Most of it is just a little out of range for what you were asking for right now.

If you find yourself NE of Ft. Worth, there is a place called Giant Burger that is just a bit east of the Texas Motor Speedway.  They aren't kidding when they say "Giant".  Puts a chain hamburger all to shame.  We found it on our way back from Cowtown Vette's Autocross at the speedway.  I35 was shut down (bridge construction) so we took a back way home.

Oh...  and I dunno what you got, but joining a car club may be a good way to find out where good cruising spots are as most of them have regular organized and led cruises.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:49:40 PM EDT
[#33]
The Butcher Shop in Longview TX.  If you head out this way let me know and we might even be able to get a little range time at East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club between Longview and Kilgore.  Just watch out, there is a bakery section when you first enter The Butcher Shop.....you may not make it back to order regular food!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I"m sure you've tried the Dairy Palace
View Quote
Used to eat there when our crew was in the area after referring football games.  Haven't been in a while but they used to be good!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Butcher Shop in Longview TX.  If you head out this way let me know and we might even be able to get a little range time at East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club between Longview and Kilgore.  Just watch out, there is a bakery section when you first enter The Butcher Shop.....you may not make it back to order regular food!
View Quote
Yeah, The Butcher Shop.  It's true about the bakery section, cakes, pies, and other goodies to make you forget what you went there for!
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#36]
A bunch of us hit up Burgerland in Sulphur Springs on Saturday.
Good burger, giant amount of fries for a small order, and not too pricey.
Attachment Attached File

Strolled through the square and grabbed an ice cream on the way out.

Next trip will be Char-Burger Stock-Ade in Kilgore or the Butcher Shop in Longview.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Durchman's Hidden Valley in Hamilton. Awesome little shop with good meats, cheeses, and jams etc. Their sammiches are amazing. It's saying something when I'll stop there for a hot sammich before I'll stop for most steaks.

https://www.dutchmans-hiddenvalley.com
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Mary's in Strawn for chicken fried steak is bucket list. 

Tony DeMaria's BBQ in Waco is honorable mention. Be sure and get there before noon because they sell out nearly every day. 
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:01:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A bunch of us hit up Burgerland in Sulphur Springs on Saturday.
Good burger, giant amount of fries for a small order, and not too pricey.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/202842/Burgerland-219727.JPG
Strolled through the square and grabbed an ice cream on the way out.

Next trip will be Char-Burger Stock-Ade in Kilgore or the Butcher Shop in Longview.
View Quote
Keep in mind too if you venture into Longview the original Bodacious BBQ on Mobberly just placed 4th in the state on the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list--could be worth a stop as well
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've been thinking about joining that range, but wanted to check out the facilities and it seems the website states they do a tour AFTER you become a member.  Do you know if the weekend competitions are open to the public for spectating or do you have to be a member for that as well?
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Keep in mind too if you venture into Longview the original Bodacious BBQ on Mobberly just placed 4th in the state on the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ list--could be worth a stop as well
View Quote
Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Ham's Orchard just east of Terrell on US 80. Great BBQ brisket and pulled pork sandwiches:

http://hamorchard.com/

Pop's Burgers in Waxahachie. They host a Thursday night cruise-in that often has some really cool, restored muscle cars. Their burgers and shakes are pretty good, too:

https://m.facebook.com/popsburgerswaxahachie/
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The Butcher Shop in Longview TX. If you head out this way let me know and we might even be able to get a little range time at East Texas Rifle and Pistol Club between Longview and Kilgore. Just watch out, there is a bakery section when you first enter The Butcher Shop.....you may not make it back to order regular food!
View Quote
Meh. I grew up in Longview and always had fantastic burgers there, but when I took my wife there on date night (my parents still live there, and watched the kids while we were visiting,) the burgers and fries were both terrible. Maybe it was an off night, but I haven't been back since.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll recommend the Hwy 80 Café in Edgewood, TX also.
The breakfast is huge and priced right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top