Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2017 3:33:08 PM EDT
Time for Friday at the range in Texas.  

Who played hooky from the office and went shooting?

Friday Guns:  More work with the Steiner MX5xi 5-25x56mm on the POF P-416 with the GemTech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover. Using the Mission First Tactical mag from Shot Show 2017.

This is a Savage MKii with the Dead Air Mask HD.

This is a Savage MKii with the Dead Air Mask HD.  

Friday Watches at the Range.  Enjoying a Perdomo and the Seiko TST while shooting the POF P-415 & the Steiner M5xi 5-25x56mm

Anschutz 1712 AV

Friday Guns:  in Motion . . Finger then Thumb . . . . Shooting the Fortner action Anschutz model 1727F - 22 AV.  AV stands for "American Varminter", i. e. 18" threaded barrel.  GemTech Subsonic. 22 through a SWR Spectre.

Friday Guns:  Shooting the pigs ear at 100 yards in 20mph wind.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:58:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Not Friday, but I made it out Thursday with some new gear.

G17
Osprey 45
Shield 9mm

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's with the stupid hashtags? This isn't Twitter.
View Quote
Well, i seen one person didnt get to go shoot this weekend
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Whether I did or didn't, what's the point of the stupid hashtags? Are you suggesting that if I'd gone to the range it would make sense?
View Quote
No. Im suggesting you should have done something more productive with your time and be less critical.

How about you post some of your own stuff in the thread and show me how it should be done.

Jeeze.  Next you will be complaining about cigars and shooting.

And i frankly got tired of typing and didnt delete them when i posted.

And this is that Fortner action in action

Texas NFA Gun Trust. Friday Guns: The .22 Sessions Dead Air Mask HD, SWR Spectre
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#7]
700 yards?  Thats nice.  Did it with wolf 62 gr in a 15mph full value wind.  Very frustrating.

Found time to take a few photos of cigars, watches, guns and dead hogs and trash pandas.

Happiness.  Reaching out to 700 yards for the first time.    
Frustration. Conf it with a 20 +mph cross wind and Wolf 62gr FMJ

Enjoying a good cougar while shooting a 18" Dennys Guns/Global Tactical barrel with a Surefire SOCOM556RC.  The optic is the old IOR 3-18.

Dr. Lucci shooting the 6.8 with an AR Performance barrel and the Wilson Combat Whisper.

Between the wind and the ammo, i felt lucky to hit anything.   Turned out that i didn't have a problem hitting a full IPSc at 700 yards.

Hitting the plates was just luck and not repeatable consistently.

400 or so rounds of 62gr Wolf FMJ adds some lean to the target.

Colt Lights sceptre

The night guns.
1.  POF P-416 w/ IR Hunter MKII from Third Coast Thermal,  GemTech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover
2.   Savage .17hmr

Night hunting light.  

Shot through the heart.  Pof and IR Hunter MKII does the Job at 100 yards.

250 boar.  Head shot with the POF P-416 w/ IR Hunter MKII from Third Coast Thermal,  GemTech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:22:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sure, last time I went to the range I was getting zeros on my AR out to 800. Here's a pic clharr took.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2207/IMG-2920-198695.jpg

We didn't pose watches or cigars for pics, though. Guess I'm doing it wrong.
View Quote
Do you ever take your 22s out to 300 or 400?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:19:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No, that's why I have AR's.
View Quote
Give it a try.  Its fun.  Just like 700 yards with an AR is fun.

What caliber AR were you shooting?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#12]
get a room you two
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 7:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

get a room you two
View Quote
But don't post pictures of that, the rest are good to go
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 7:45:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

We didn't pose watches or cigars for pics, though. Guess I'm doing it wrong.
View Quote

Maybe you have to wear one of those gilligan hipster hats.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Tuesday Guns?  Made it to the Impact Zone on Tuesday to do some 300 yard shooting with the .22 and the POF 5.56/Steiner combo.

Savage Mk II with the Dead Air Mask HD from the 300.

Gypsy Kalash with AK-74u kring SBR

10" plate from 300 yards.  .22 and 223 impacts.

6" plate .22 impacts from 300 yard line w/ some 223 from 100 yards.  11.6 mil w/ 2.75 mil wind  hold
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing and nice shootin'.   The action on that Anschutz is pretty slick.

Do you have a preference for the Mask or the Spectre?

I'd never seen the cantilever scope mount for the Browning SA22.  Never looked to be honest.  Do you happen to know how well it holds zero after take-down?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
 Don't feel bad.  You did good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.56, as the good Lord intended. 75gr BTHP.

Although it's a little depressing shooting that at long range next to .308 and 6.5C.
 Don't feel bad.  You did good.
We can do cocaine and take pics of our smartphones next time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:33:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

We can do cocaine . . . . . next time.
View Quote
as long as its off a hooker's buttocks . . ... .
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#20]
11.6 mil up and 2.75mil wind hold.
you can hear the light tink of the Gemtech Subsonic hitting the 10" steel.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTsiInFFKqz

https://www.instagram.com/p/BTsiInFFKqz
suppressed sounds quieter than your bicycle pump disengaging... like a silent but deadly fart. Sean Cody plinking a tiny plate 300 yrds away.

Edited: please be careful with self advertising. ~Soowah
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#21]
A couple from Tuesday showing the 300-yard shooting position.

Dialing 11.6mil

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Friday, I took my son to the range.  

Sighted in the POF P-308 w/ the Dead Air Sandman L and the Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  The new Hog gun.  

I've put the Colt Lights Microtac Scepter MS-100 for white light since this will have a IR Hunter Mk II on it.

We also shot the POF P-415 w/ the Steiner Military M5xi 5-25x56mm and a GemTech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  

My son was shooting his Great Grandfather's Savage Mk II w/ a Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP mil dot.

Colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre M-100

Browning Challenger with SWR Spectre

Shooting the POF P-308 w/ the Dead Air Sandman L and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Link Posted: 5/28/2017 2:04:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Friday at the Range. Take your Son to the Range Day. POF P-308, Dead Air Sandman L
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#24]
The kid's a natural!
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:07:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Hes taken to it like a duck to water

His 5 year old brother is getting it also.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 2:07:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Wednesday Take a Friend and his son to the Range Day.  A couple of friends came in from Georgia.

Took the POF P-308 with the dead air Sandman L & the P-415 with the Steiner M5xi 5-25x56mm,  the  Gemtech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover out.

Also brought the Savage Mk II and Dead air mask HD and the FN with the Crux Archangel.

While it comes as no surprise, it is impressive what a 308 projectile does to a bolt.

In this case, the bolt head was facing toward the incoming projectiles. The projectile hit the top of edge of the bolt which split the flat washer and exploded the projectile onto the strap above the steel

Link Posted: 6/4/2017 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice to see Quality time with the boys!
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Friday at the Range. Take your Son to the Range Day. POF P-308, Dead Air Sandman L
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:39:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Friday at the Range:  I took my 5 year old to the range this Friday.  We went to the Bayou Rifles Addicks rimfire range.    

The old Savage Mk II, Primary Arms 4-16 FFP mil dot with the Dead Air Mask HD in the Hog Saddle was the weapon of choice.  

My 5 year old finally got it.    He figured out that the steel birdies and pigs fell if he put the cross hairs on them.  And then the first dot under the crosshairs for the 75 M and 100M steel rams.

Definitely made me proud. I am always amazed when that fire gets lit and they start asking if I brought enough ammo!

It's a fight to keep their eye pro on.   Funny thing is the fascination with the ear pro.

Range
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:43:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Wednesday at the Range. POF P-308, P-415 & Dead Air Sandman L & Mask HD
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I'd never seen the cantilever scope mount for the Browning SA22.  Never looked to be honest.  Do you happen to know how well it holds zero after take-down?
View Quote
The cantilever scope mount holds zero great after repeated take downs; it is screwed to the barrel rather than the receiver.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 9:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw that after I started looking around.  Having the scope mounted to the receiver was always a weakness and the reason the rifle doesn't get taken down.  Upon further inspection, I realized that old SA-22 isn't pre-drilled/tapped for that mount like the newer rifles.  I'll leave it be since it's a ~40 year-old Belgian...
Link Posted: 7/5/2017 1:22:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Last Friday of June. Starting the 4th of July Weekend with a cigar and some Thermal. At a property bordering the Sam Houston National Forest.

Sighting in the Pulsar Core RXQ30V loaned by Third Coast Thermal on the POF P-415.  Thats a GemTech Trek Ti and a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Sighting in the IR Hunter Mk II (from Third Coast Thermal) on the POF P-308 and Dead Air Sandman L wrapped with a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Shooting the Savage Mk II with the Dead Air Mask HD from the prone.   Wore the new urban hipster Camo pattern

Enjoying a good cigar with the new urban hipster pattern camo.  The IR Hunter Mk II (from Third Coast Thermal) on the POF P-308 and Dead Air Sandman L wrapped with a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover will be deadly on the Pigs.

I like the fact that a hot suppressor will not burn me with that rifles only suppressor cover on it

After i Sighted the Pulsar Core RXQ30V loaned by Third Coast Thermal in on the POF P-415. Hi did a quick initial test of the mounts Return To Zero characteristics. I removed it and remounted it on the rifle.  I was able to hit the plate at 100 yd dead center after it was remanded. This is a holy unscientific test.

Thats a GemTech Trek Ti and a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.

A 1980s quartz Omega Seamaster on the Pulsar Core RXQ30V.

Link Posted: 7/6/2017 1:24:49 AM EDT
[#34]
It happened this Saturday.  The Leona 4th of July Machine Gun Shoot, 2017 Edition.  

Tippman .22lr 1919 and a thompson with a.22 conversion

PKM 7.62X54MM

M1 Garand

POF P-308 with Dead Air Sandman L and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

AR-15 mk12 clone w/ AAC M4-2000

RPD suffered case head seperation.

HK 416

POF P-308 with Dead Air Sandman L and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover

Dead Air Sandman mount after 200 rounds.

The Dead Air Sandman L came off without a problem even after 200+ rounds.

Its nice being able to handle a hot suppressor.  The Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover and High Heat pouch work

The Split case from the RPD

Hot day in Texas?  EZ up for the truck & shooters!

Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:25:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Dead Air Mask HD . . . Helping make new Riflemen! That moment of pride when your 5 yr old starts on the 100 yard steel because the 50 is too easy. Using his great grandfather's Savage mk II. Primary Arms FFP mil dot.

I needed to do a function check and i took my 5 year old with me. He was banging the 100 yard steel and coyote when he got bored with the 50yard steel.

Steel targets from www.418plates.com
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 2:10:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Went on a hog hunt.   We had 20mph of wind during the day dropping to next to nothing at night.  We managed to approach these pigs with the golf cart.

My 6 year old fell asleep as we stalked up on the first group.

POF P-308, IR Hunter Mk II 20mm, Dead Air Sandman L, Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover, Colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre. Colt lights AMRAAM 1200 to spot pig alongside the m24 recon.

Hogs Down! IR Hunter MkII Thermal Hog Hunt
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Photos to come
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:27:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Friday at the Range was actually Friday through Sunday.   Started out with fishing and both boys caught their first fish.

Wild River Ranch is the best place to hunt in Texas.  

www.WildRiverRanch.net

Link Posted: 8/7/2017 11:48:13 PM EDT
[#40]
We got down to shooting.   I dropped a plate out at 700 yards.  The wind was blowing hard. Gusting up to 20. I confirmed zero on the IR Hunter Snipe IR at 100 yards.   This was mounted on my 22 AR-15. I figured it would be perfect for coons if we saw any.

I was trying a new rifle mount.    The Kopfjager Reaper Grip. This is a little different from the hog saddle that I normally use. I'm still getting used to it. So far I like it. It has a plate that allows you to mount either a camera or your spotting scope next to your rifle. This allows you to get some interesting video. That also should allow me to get some interesting video with the night-vision.

The IR Hunter and Kopfjager Reaper Grip are demo units from Thirda Coast Thermal.    
Dinner was some perfectly grilled steaks.  

I know, I'm too indulgent. My oldest son decided to eat Beast Style. I did make him cut it and eat it properly after I let him take a couple of bites like this.

Ready for #diepiggydie.  Team Wendy exfil, TNVC pvs-14 w/ stellar L3 filmless & a flir recon M24.  

Colt Lights AMRAAM 1200 for visible light

wild river ranch 6.8spc w/ a 12.5" Kotonics chrome lined barrel & Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor.  TNVC D-740 NV sight on top.

Trash pandas . . Fear the night . . Confirming zero with the IR Hunter Snipe IR on a .22 rimfire AR w/ the Dead Air Mask HD.  Collimated and set up for coons and other varmints this weekend.  This combination procedure is extremely important for the snipe IR to work as a clip-on.

#diepiggydie all dressed up and no pigs.  POF P-308, IR Hunter Mk II 20mm, Dead Air Sandman L,  Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover, Colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre,  Team Wendy Exfil, TNVC PVC-14.

Shooting the Savage MKii  Mounted in the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.  Set up for the 6 yer old.

The funny thing about the cameras with my six year old swears that he hit the target and refuses to believe me when I tell him he needs to adjust his point of aim, I can roll the tape back and let him see the miss

This is the 700 yd steel. I was shooting 147 grain Portuguese Surplus. You can see where one round skipped off the dirt in front of the target and hit sideways. Well this is not a very tight group, I was shooting Surplus Ammo with a 20 mile-an-hour gusting crosswind. I know excuses excuses

Shooting the FN SPR w/ @cruxsuppressors  Archangel and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  Mounted in the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:00:37 AM EDT
[#42]
Shooting the FN SPR w/ @cruxsuppressors  Archangel and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover.  Mounted in the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.

The video camera adds an interesting perspective to the entire experience. I'm looking forward to running a PVS 14 on the front of that camera and shooting hogs at night

You can see the mounting plate for the video camera in this shot

700 yard IPSC

12" plate at 600 yards

Shooting the 22 AR at 300 yards with the dead air mask HD suppressor. My son was shooting his BB gun beside me

This AR-15 is optimized for shooting prairie dogs. It has a 26in AR Performance barrel and a Wilson Combat whisper suppressor. It is topped with a Zeiss optic. I was shooting out to 600 yards and hitting steel with no problem
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 1:01:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
A lot of toys there, SC.
 Looks like great time with family.
View Quote
It was fun.   Just take so long to load and unload all that crap not to mention cleaning it when you get home
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:28:22 PM EDT
[#44]
These top photos show the camera and spotting scope mount for the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.  

I thought it was interesting. I was able to review my shots and see where I missed if I did not catch that in the optic. One thing I need to work on is getting the camera to stay oriented during recoil with the 308. That is not a Reaper grip issue. That is a camera mount equipment issue

This is a fascinating little SBR. It is a Bushmaster Carbon AR-15 with a 7 & a half inch barrel and a Wilson Combat whisper suppressor on the end.

There's something cool about waking up in the morning and walking out on the porch and starting with 19mil of elevation and the 400 yd

My oldest son is shooting his great-grandfather's Savage Mark 2 in the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.  My youngest wanted to shoot his BB gun. We have a lot of work to do before they can use open sights reliably

Link Posted: 8/12/2017 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Lots of pigs hit.   Found these 4.  

The number one lesson is shot placement. Even with a 308, it is not the magic finger of death and you have to aim and pick where you are going to shoot the pig. If you shoot them in the wrong place they will run off. Some of these pigs were shot in the right place and they still ran off.

Equipment used.  POF P-308, IR Hunter Mk II 20mm, Dead Air Sandman L,  Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover, Colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre,  Team Wendy Exfil, TNVC PVC-14.

www.wildriverranchllc.net 6.8spc w/ a 12.5" Kotonics chrome lined barrel & Wilson Combat Whisper suppressor.  TNVC D-740 NV sight on top.

All dressed up for his 2nd pig hunt.  I put the flir rm24 Recon in my six year old's hands so he would be able to see and interact as the hunt progressed

I believe that is the exit wound. If you look at the video this pig was shot in the rear as he was turning around. He ran 50 yards and dropped. My youngest was very brave to walk through the edge of the forest to get to the clearing where we found him. POF P-308.  Even with a 308, shot placement is important.

This was the second pig of the night. He ran about 75 yards before he dropped and died.  

Spine shot with a 6.8.

3rd pig shot on the run with the P-308

I'm using the flir rm24 Recon and the Colt lights AMRAAM 1200 to search for dead pigs in the brush
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Time to go home. Picked up the steel that I brought. Loaded the razor on the trailer. Loaded the truck.
This is an interesting Target stand and Hangers that I picked up from Danny at www.418plates.com.  once I got the steel rods for the legs, I found that it works very well. It set out at the hundred yard line all weekend

This is the pistol range where the pistol training and the night vision class is held when www.WildRiverRanch.net hosts one on

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:18:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Friday at the Range. Conroe pig hunt.  

#diepiggydie Shot in the head.  

The 308 win with Federal 165 grain trophy bonded projectiles continues to impress.

POF P-308
IR Hunter Mk II 20mm
Dead Air Sandman L
Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover
Colt Lights Microtac M-sceptre.

Third Coast Thermal provided the IR Hunter.

Federal 165gr Trophy bonded projectiles.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Friday Guns. #DiePiggyDie.  POF P-308, a Dead Air Sandman L a Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover with a IR Hunter Mk II from Third Coast Thermal.

I got this one on the run at about 125 yards after missing his head.  

This was the perfect head shot.

I was using a TNVC pVS-14 in a Wilcox mount on a Team Wendy EXFIL ballistic helmet.   I believe this is the most comfortable ballistic helmet I've ever worn.

Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:27:32 PM EDT
[#49]
Friday Guns . . . . Hurricane Harvey style.   Hodge Defense AU mod 1
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:32:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Friday Guns.   Shooting The POF P-308, w/ the Steiner R1X, Dead Air Sandman L with the Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover  the Savage MkII w/ Dead Air Mask HD  in the Kopfjager Reaper Grip.
Rocking the Citizen NY0040 on the wrist.

@third_coast_thermal provided the Steiner R1X and the Reapergrip.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top