Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2017 10:06:24 PM EDT
HB375

It looks like Phil King decided what is best for us, instead of listening to the voters.  Hopefully, next year, he is listening to a career counselor or someone at the Texas Unemployment Commission.

ETA:  I fixed it.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm confused. Your link sends me to an article talking about Springfield Armory and RRA in Illinois. What does that have to do with HB375 here?

ETA - It seems to me that the committee simply decided to push forward with HB1911 instead.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 1:26:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No costitutional carry for you
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm confused. Your link sends me to an article talking about Springfield Armory and RRA in Illinois. What does that have to do with HB375 here?

ETA - It seems to me that the committee simply decided to push forward with HB1911 instead.
View Quote
I liked HB375 better but HB1911 is still progress. Imperfect progress. HB375 wasn't perfect either. 

Neither bill really thought out the tangled web of prohibited places as well as we would have hoped. 
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sometimes it "our side" (at least those who claim they are) who are our own worst enemies...

Thanks a lot King.  

Hope you get the Vote Boot!
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 7:48:04 PM EDT
[#5]
HB1911 cleared committee and is awaiting a date from the calendar committee for a house floor vote last I checked. It's still moving through.

Bear in mind, HB375 was being pushed by Stickland, who many other house members do not like. Tact will often get a bill further than brash abrasiveness.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Michael Cargill has been railing hard against HB1911 for a while now. He's usually pretty on point, so would it be better for it to fail too and try again next time?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Michael Cargill has been railing hard against HB1911 for a while now. He's usually pretty on point, so would it be better for it to fail too and try again next time?
View Quote
From what little I read, it seems to be an unlicensed carry bill, which seems like a step in the right direction. What has he said is so bad about it?

Genuine question.

ETA - I just skimmed the committee substitute version of HB1911, and it seems that it allows nonlicensees to carry, so long as they are 21+ and otherwise meet the requirements of obtaining an LTC. I don't really see anything bad in it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:47:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From what little I read, it seems to be an unlicensed carry bill, which seems like a step in the right direction. What has he said is so bad about it?

Genuine question.

ETA - I just skimmed the committee substitute version of HB1911, and it seems that it allows nonlicensees to carry, so long as they are 21+ and otherwise meet the requirements of obtaining an LTC. I don't really see anything bad in it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genuine question.

There are provisions prohibiting carry if you are behind on child support or have class A or B misdemeanors on your record. (five years) Your carry privilege can be revoked for a disorderly conduct charge.  ( shooting someone the finger or even farting in public) HB375 would lower the age to 18 and Alice Tripp from TSRA has told me in an e-mail that they will never lower the carry age to 18. King does not want any type of Constitutional carry passed, period.

I think it is time we started to change the bi-annual meeting of the state government and make it a full-time deal. this being able to hide for two years is not a good thing anymore.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

There are provisions prohibiting carry if you are behind on child support or have class A or B misdemeanors on your record. (five years) Your carry privilege can be revoked for a disorderly conduct charge.  ( shooting someone the finger or even farting in public) HB375 would lower the age to 18 and Alice Tripp from TSRA has told me in an e-mail that they will never lower the carry age to 18. King does not want any type of Constitutional carry passed, period.

I think it is time we started to change the bi-annual meeting of the state government and make it a full-time deal. this being able to hide for two years is not a good thing anymore.
View Quote
Gotcha, I can see some issues with that. I'm curious to see if all those provisions remain in the bill through the rest of the legislative process.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 11:49:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
NO!

You do not want these people sitting around all day trying to decide how best to run your life. Trust me. Hell, look at Congress. These people need to keep working for a living. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:26:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NO!

You do not want these people sitting around all day trying to decide how best to run your life. Trust me. Hell, look at Congress. These people need to keep working for a living. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

NO!

California and New York also meet year round. Fuck that!  Hell, I'd be perfectly fine with dropping the legislative session to 100d every two years, less time for them to fuck stuff up is good.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:38:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
How can you put any restrictions on Constitutional Carry except for age?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#13]
From Lone Star Gun Rights:

"At this point of the meeting, Phil King asked a representative of the Attorney General's Office, Steve Pier, to testify as a resource witness. The exchange went as follows:

Phil King: 'With regard to the current version of HB375 by Stickland pending before this committee, have the concerns raised regarding child support enforcement by the AG's Office been corrected in that bill's current draft?'

Steve Pier: 'No sir. And while it is the default setting of the agency to raise concerns anytime a bill draft is in conflict with current law or current practice, we certainly did so and appreciate you hearing us out on that. In the case of HB375, the agency is prepared to forego those concerns, and continue to be the nation's number one child support enforcement agency without that tool in our toolbox.'

This clearly caught King off guard. What Mr. Pier said was that King is now the only obstacle standing in the way of HB375 getting out of committee. Clearly shocked, King stammered to ask 'So what you’re informing me today, for the first time, and the committee, is that you are withdrawing the Attorney General’s office’s concern over the child support issue in HB 375?' Mr. Pier simply replied, 'Yes sir.' You can watch the entire exchange here:"

Phil King kills constitutional carry

Youtube video of the exchange
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:46:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me get this straight....

You are behind on your bills, therefore the 2nd does not apply to you.

WTervlovingshitF is this?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
The thought of maming the Texas legislatire  full time sc ares thd heck out of me.

No way.  They do enough damage every two years
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
As I understand it, HB 1911 will allow anyone to carry if they meet the current standards to qualify for a LTC.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As I understand it, HB 1911 will allow anyone to carry if they meet the current standards to qualify for a LTC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Moot now but nevertheless:

HB375 vs HB1911
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly, after years and years of you guys telling me that it's all about baby steps, I don't care which bill passes, as long as one of them passes. Get it on the books and then expand it in the next session. 
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Honestly, after years and years of you guys telling me that it's all about baby steps, I don't care which bill passes, as long as one of them passes. Get it on the books and then expand it in the next session. 
View Quote
That is the reason HB1911 was pushed over 375.
If it does make it to the floor it will be amended into who knows what.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sometimes it "our side" (at least those who claim they are) who are our own worst enemies...

Thanks a lot King.  

Hope you get the Vote Boot!
View Quote
Do you really think that people give a fuck if dead beat dad's can't carry? Seriously?

It's a minor miracle that 1911 got through committee. Let's focus on the progress aspect here rather than boo-hoo'ing about people who have failed to honor their responsibility to care for their offspring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 7:47:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Fucking embarrassing.  Look at all the states passing constiturinal carry and we can not get our shit together.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 4:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I can understand that in Texas we need to get gun rights in baby steps, but IMO HB1911 is unenforceable. If asked by law enforcement if you can legally carry a hand gun, how would law enforcement know if you are arrears on child support (without a contempt citation from the court) or if you are arrears in any taxes or student loans? Currently this is all handled by DPS when getting your LTC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can understand that in Texas we need to get gun rights in baby steps, but IMO HB1911 is unenforceable. If asked by law enforcement if you can legally carry a hand gun, how would law enforcement know if you are arrears on child support (without a contempt citation from the court) or if you are arrears in any taxes or student loans? Currently this is all handled by DPS when getting your LTC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's fine by me as long as rs/pc remains required for as much as a Terry stop. Your concern works for the law abiding, not against and the criminals never cared about CHL anyway.

The bill isn't perfect but unlicensed carry is as big a step forward toward real freedom as CHL was in the 80's. I hope people recognize that and avoid the octc type antics of 2 years ago that fucked us all.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That's fine by me as long as rs/pc remains required for as much as a Terry stop. Your concern works for the law abiding, not against and the criminals never cared about CHL anyway.

The bill isn't perfect but unlicensed carry is as big a step forward toward real freedom as CHL was in the 80's. I hope people recognize that and avoid the octc type antics of 2 years ago that fucked us all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd rather see HB375 pass, but if only HB1911 gets passed no big deal, I'll still keep my LTC both for being able to carry in other states plus to bypass NICS. I was just looking though our shitty newspaper the Austin Unamerican Stateman, and Bloomburg has a FULL page ad in the front section trying to stop Constitintional Carry.  But the retards never think that if you are going to murder someone or rob someone the last thing you are worried about a chicken shit charge of carrying a handgun without a license. The same reason the 30.06/30.07 signs or any other gun banning sign is stupid.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:49:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The thought of maming the Texas legislatire  full time sc ares thd heck out of me.

No way.  They do enough damage every two years
View Quote
I'd like to see them cut the number of days they are in session down to about 30 every two years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#26]
HB1911 is probably dead also. It`s hung in the Calendars committee. All according to plan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#27]
A cut and paste from Open Carry Texas the other day.

A quick word on HB 375 (unlicensed carry) so that people can accept reality. At this point, HB 375 is dead. Not only is it dead, it's already decomposing and probably infested with maggots. Even if there is a vote today in committee, it is impossible for calendars to get it on the calendar in the House, sent to the Senate, assigned to a Senate committee, scheduled for a committee hearing, scheduled for a committee vote, placed on the full Senate calendar, and voted on.

I don't like it. You don't like. But, it's reality. Every bill that hasn't had a hearing or voted on at this point is dead. So, we need to stop deluding ourselves into thinking there is still a chance. There is not. Chairman Phil King single-handedly killed HB 375 and neutered HB 1911.

Our only option right now is to push for HB 1911 to get to the floor so we can amend it to look more like HB 375. I need you to call every member of the Calendars Committee and tell them to schedule a hearing ASAP for HB 1911. All you need to do is tell them your name, where you're calling from, that you are in support of HB 1911, and you want a vote on it in the full House. There is no need to say anything else because all they do is fill out a little card with that information and you'll be tying up the phone lines for others to call in. Here are the numbers (yes, call them all!):

Todd Hunter - (512) 463-0672
Donna Howard - (512) 463-0631
Roberto Alonzo - (512) 463-0408
Trent Ashby - (512) 463-0508
Byron Crook - (512) 463-0730
Sarah Davis - (512) 463-0389
Charlie Geren - (512) 463-0610
Helen Giddings - (512) 463-0953
Kyle Kacal - (512) 463-0412
Ken King (not to be confused with Phil King) - (512) 463-0736
Toni Rose - (512) 463-0664
Dade Phelan - (512) 463-0706
Chris Paddie - (512) 463-0556
Poncho Nevarez - (512) 463-0566
Linda Koop - (512) 463-0454
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:29:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
HB1911 cleared committee and is awaiting a date from the calendar committee for a house floor vote last I checked. It's still moving through.

Bear in mind, HB375 was being pushed by Stickland, who many other house members do not like. Tact will often get a bill further than brash abrasiveness.
View Quote
^This. I don't dislike Stickland, but I know a lot of people do.

HB 375 has the lower bill number because Stickland glory-hounded it (a bit) by pre-filing.

If we want this to pass next session, we need to get someone:
a.) who is more likeable; and,
b.) with some kind of seniority, preferably

to pre-file the bill in the November preceding.

Mid-February (when White filed HB 1911) is probably too late to be taken seriously... esp. for something like this.    
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
HB1911 is tied up in the calendar committee waiting for a release date to the floor for discussion. They have until the 29th to release the bill. If it's not released, it's dead. I have a feeling it will never see the light of day.

The sticking point for some, according to Alice Tripp of TSRA anyway with HB 375 is it would lower the age to carry a pistol to 18. She said it was a deal breaker.

If 1911 does make it to the floor the final version will be amended to death. Maybe some of the good stuff in 375 can be added but there is a real chance it will in no way resemble something we want passing.

Time will tell and it's quickly running out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#30]
From Jonathan Stickland's facebook page. This is not good. We do have until the 29th for the bill to come out of the calendars committee but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"I am sad to report that Constitutional Carry is all but dead. The only hope left would be a special session called by the Governor, which I do not expect. We progressed further this session than ever before. For that, I am proud and thankful to all those who helped.
The blame can be put on many things, but at the end of the day, Democrats didn't stop it. The "Republicans" deserve the blame. I am especially upset with Rep. Phil King for not voting HB375 out of committee and slow playing HB1911 to Calendars. Calendars Chairman Todd Hunter and his entire "Republican" committee also deserve blame for not putting HB1911 on floor. House Leadership under Speaker Joe Straus never wanted true pro-gun legislation passed, we all know it. As far as I am concerned, if someone did not coauthor HB375, they did not support it.
I will not stop or apologize for fighting for the 2nd Amendment. With your continued help and support, we will be back next session, with many of the "Republicans" in name only replaced with true conservatives by you, the voters."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
From Jonathan Stickland's facebook page. This is not good. We do have until the 29th for the bill to come out of the calendars committee but I wouldn't hold my breath.

"I am sad to report that Constitutional Carry is all but dead. The only hope left would be a special session called by the Governor, which I do not expect. We progressed further this session than ever before. For that, I am proud and thankful to all those who helped.
The blame can be put on many things, but at the end of the day, Democrats didn't stop it. The "Republicans" deserve the blame. I am especially upset with Rep. Phil King for not voting HB375 out of committee and slow playing HB1911 to Calendars. Calendars Chairman Todd Hunter and his entire "Republican" committee also deserve blame for not putting HB1911 on floor. House Leadership under Speaker Joe Straus never wanted true pro-gun legislation passed, we all know it. As far as I am concerned, if someone did not coauthor HB375, they did not support it.
I will not stop or apologize for fighting for the 2nd Amendment. With your continued help and support, we will be back next session, with many of the "Republicans" in name only replaced with true conservatives by you, the voters."
View Quote
So what are we supposed to do, primary out every Republican in the legislature?

What is the sticking point for these RINOs on HB1911? 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:34:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The sticking point for some, according to Alice Tripp of TSRA anyway with HB 375 is it would lower the age to carry a pistol to 18. She said it was a deal breaker.
View Quote
It is sad gun owners cannot accept incremental victories, and have to take win it all at once approach, which often means losing it all at once.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good grief....farting is not disorderly. Neither is shooting the finger unless it tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace.

And charges are not enough to revoke in the bill.  Convictions are.

Being behind on child support is not a reason in the bill, either.  Being adjudged as delinquent is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Being in arrears is not the prohibitor...Student loans are no longer on the list.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It is sad gun owners cannot accept incremental victories, and have to take win it all at once approach, which often means losing it all at once.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They won't even move 1911 out of the calendar committee though. There is no victory this session, incremental or otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
They won't even move 1911 out of the calendar committee though. There is no victory this session, incremental or otherwise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lowering the LTC fee from 140 to 40 did pass, that's about it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#37]
What the fuck is wrong with our state legislature?

Constitutional carry is passing all over the country right now.  This is Texas, dammit.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What the fuck is wrong with our state legislature?

Constitutional carry is passing all over the country right now.  This is Texas, dammit.
View Quote
Not enough gun owners give a shit to bug the hell out of them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not enough gun owners give a shit to bug the hell out of them.
View Quote

I guess not.  People made fun of Open Carry Texas but at least they sent a message.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#40]
HB1911 is dead unless they can get it out of committee by the 11th according to Stickland.
I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't part of the problem. He made a bunch of people mad the last session and I think part of this may be a FU to him.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
HB1911 is dead unless they can get it out of committee by the 11th according to Stickland.
I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't part of the problem. He made a bunch of people mad the last session and I think part of this may be a FU to him.
View Quote
What's the issue with Strickland?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:44:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
He doesn't do that go along to get along thing that politicians do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 4:52:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
I remember (as I'm sure you do, as well) these purists who tried to "make the perfect the enemy of the good" back in '95, too...

They almost cost us the initial CHL bill, as flawed as it was.

It took some time (ten sessions, aka 'twenty years') for the CHL program to grow from the little runt it started out as, to the fairly robust program it was before it transformed into the LTC program.

Thank goodness they didn't get their way back then... we'd probably still be trying to pass their 'perfect' bill today.    
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^This.

Take this for what it's worth because it's Texas Monthly (and the Burka Blog, at that), but:
http://www.texasmonthly.com/burka-blog/a-tale-of-two-libertarians/

The point is, not a lot of his colleagues appreciate him. Which makes it harder to get movement on his bills.

Which can sometimes be the 'kiss of death' when he's the one who takes up the mantle of something we like/care about.

Which is probably part of the reason we're having to discuss the differences between HB 375 and HB 1911... if his colleagues liked him, they probably (arguably) wouldn't have doubled him up like this.

Most everything you didn't like about Ron Paul for the past however-many years? A lot of those arguments can also apply to Stickland.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Genuine question.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genuine question.
I can't comment on the validity of the claims (but SC-Texas, txinvestigator, and RenegadeX are all in this thread, so we're in good hands when it comes to sussing them out) but this is from a (public) Facebook post he made back in March:
State Rep James White is apparently targeting Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. Under HB1911 Ken Paxton will lose his gun rights on Sep 1, 2017.

Currently you would be able to have a handgun in your vehicle without a license but starting Sep 1, 2017 you will start losing gun rights.

Under HB1911 former Governor Rick Perry would have lost his gun rights.

Under HB1911 Tom Delay would have lost his gun rights.

Under HB1911 the .08 will disappear. It goes to zero alcohol & Austin Police Department is going to enjoy no refusal weekend.

Under HB1911 if you get a divorce the spouse that is served, will lose their gun rights.

Under HB1911 you will lose your gun rights under federal law if your are within 1000 feet of a school.

Under HB1911 if you are a veteran and diagnosed with PTSD you will lose your gun rights.

Under HB1911 the poor community will suffer unless you have an attorney on retainer.

Under HB1911 Texas will lose Reciprocity with other states. The Texas LTC will be useless in some states.

Under HB1911 if your are charged with a felony you will lose your gun rights.

Under HB1911 if you have one alcoholic drink you will be charged with unlawful carry if you carry a handgun in your vehicle starting Sep 1, 2017.

CURRENTLY YOU HAVE THESE RIGHTS IN YOUR VEHICLE. #SupportHB375
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#46]
What does he mean by 'you will lose your gun rights?'

Like if you get charged with a felony, then you can never own a gun again, regardless of the outcome of the trial? Or, the 'well no shit' scenario where if you're charged with a felony then you can't possess a firearm until the trial is over?

It sounds kind of sensationalized to me.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Like I said... I can't comment on the validity.

Someone asked what Mike had said about it, and I just wanted to answer that.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Where did Kory Watson and Open Carry Tarrant County go? I don't remember hearing a thing out of them this go round. Even C J Grissom with Open Carry Texas toned their act down. (for the most part)
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#49]
Did 1911 die in the calendars committee?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 10:04:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Anybody notice that all of this to do is about various bills to tweak LTC when the obvious answer is to repeal Section 46.02 of the Penal Code?

That is what politicians do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top