Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2017 6:50:31 AM EDT
Do they make it in 223/556? Is it what I should use to dispatch/discourage some young car thieves.

Backstory: yesterday afternoon three young men roll by in a lowered tan Tahoe asking about my 2000 Honda civic. I told them it's not for sale. Last night about 10:30 my neighbor kid tells my next door neighbor he saw an f150 casing our street. Then they get out and try the doors on my car that's blocking the Honda. It's locked so they leave.

Unfortunately I didn't get my NDN's text until 4am when my dog decided she has to puke in the hallway!

These guys looked like high school kids: all white, no ink, short hair. Then, 10:30 pm! Really, you have to steal my car before 11pm so you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed for school today!

It just hit me, the Honda has a HEAT sticker on it. They wanted it off the road before the cops could pull them over.

I'll call the sheriff after the monkeys get off to school but it's HCSO so nothing will happen I'm sure.

Bottom line: if you're in cypress and have a four door civic keep an eye on it!
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:52:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I've used this stuff - https://www.ammunitiondepot.com/661-federal-ballistaclean-223-rem-55-grain-frangible.html

We use it for 25yard and in carbine work on steel plates. It's not great, but it will ring steel fine. If you're asking if you should use it to shoot would be car thieves (or anyone else), the answer is unequivocally no.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do they make it in 223/556? Is it what I should use to dispatch/discourage some young car thieves.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Whatever ammo you were already using. Why would you switch to ammo you haven't tested?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Frangible ammo is not for people, it is for shooting steel plates and reducing lead values.

Ammo, like jacketed soft points (JSP) or open tip match (OTM) are people ammo.  JSPs are designed to stay together, and penetrate deep.  OTM fragments, but is not frangible.  

Most ballistic tips are for varmints, and by that I mean the four legged kind.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top