Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 6:18:48 PM EDT
How many of you guys are up here?

My wife and I moved up late last year and are finally settling into the groove of things.

Other than Front Site, can anyone recommend any good gun shops in the area? Any local ranges? Or will I be stuck making a trek anytime I want to go shooting?

I've lived in Dallas all my life, but this is my first time this far north, so any input you guys have on the area, things to do, places to go see/eat at would be appreciated.

Also, any gun shows in the area? I drove down to Market Hall for the last one, but that was a mother of a drive there and back haha
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
There are no ranges in the area, you will have to travel.  The range at Frisco is probably the closest.

Runner Runner Guns is basically across the street from Frontsite.  There is or used to be a small curio gun shop in the basement of downtown--don't know if they are still there.  There is Guns for Gals, which is two doors down from Runner Runner Guns.  And out by 380 and Custer there is a firearms training place which does stuff with 1911.  And finally, there is a small shop down McDonald street.

There is a gun show in McKinney which happens once a year, but it is only about 30 tables and mostly not even a gun show at all.  It is out in some field someplace.  The closest biggest gun show would be in Allen, Texas at the stadium run by Premier Gun Shows.

---

For places to see and do:

Take a trip to Hutchin's BBQ.  It is very highly ranked and has great brisket.  Be warned, dinner time on a Saturday will be an hour wait.
Check out Downtown McKinney.  Lots of neat local shops and restaurants.  It is not large, but go when they have a festival, Octoberfest, Christmas, etc.
McKinney is still a dry town so all bars close at midnight with last call around 11:30 during the week.  On the weekend they stay open to 1.  But, basically no night life if you are looking for that sort of thing.
If you like swap meets, there is Third Monday Trade Days on 380.  Bunch of vendors come together once a month.  You can find some antiques, clothes, knick-knacks, etc.  Runs Fri-Sun.
If you have a dog, there is a great dog park located near Hardin and Virginia.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:04:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome. Been here a few years. Hope you like it as much as we do. 

Closest range is indeed the indoor range in frisco. It's clean and well run, not particularly cheap, sometimes busy sometimes not, and indoors. But it's a place to shoot.  25 yard pistol lanes (lots) and 100 yard rifle lanes (4 lanes). You can shoot .223 on the 25 yard pistol lanes. 
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:19:59 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a bunch of us in McKinney. I think runner runner covered the gun shops. The basement place downtown closed up I think. Keep an eye out for the local meets about once a month. Sending you a pm about a range.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are a bunch of us in McKinney. I think runner runner covered the gun shops. The basement place downtown closed up I think. Keep an eye out for the local meets about once a month. Sending you a pm about a range.
View Quote
Got a super double secret range you're hiding from the rest of us?  I kid I kid 
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 12:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Got a super double secret range you're hiding from the rest of us?  I kid I kid 
View Quote
Super secret squirrel. Pm me if you want details.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome!  Been in McKinney for a little over 2 years.  You will like the area.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Welcome!  Been in McKinney for a little over 2 years.  You will like the area.  
View Quote
So far so good, I really enjoy the area. It is strange to see so many kids playing outside in the afternoon though
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:44:11 PM EDT
[#8]
If you ever wander up 75 to Sherman there is an indoor range there and American Armaments just south of it. No ranges in Grayson county I'm afraid. There are a couple of small gun shops in Farmersville, one at 380 and 78 and another just south of 380 on 78 across from the tractor place.  

Hanks' in McKinney pulls in some pretty good country and Red Dirt acts and the Guitar Sanctuary brings in lots of nationally known guitar players plus one hell of a showroom.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Allen neighbor here.  Google gun shops in Plano and Richardson.  Gunmasters and Bullet Trap are in Plano as is GunsNGear.  Academy Sports is a very good chain for some stuff.  Mike's Gun Room in Richardson will have stuff you won't see outside of museums and also your regular stuff.  Target Masters in Garland is a pretty good range.  Bullet Trap has one, too.

Years ago there was a really good outdoor range in McKinney but the County pols conspired with the Airport to get a neighbor to complain about the noise and it was shut down.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 12:47:02 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to recommend runner runner but I got beat.   It's a nice place
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Welcome. Let me know if you're in Frisco or little elm and want to shoot, grab a bite or drink
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Allegiant Rifleworks is in McKinney too. They are my go to guys.

I second checking out Hanks and Guitar Sanctuary.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Allegiant Rifleworks is in McKinney too. They are my go to guys.

I second checking out Hanks and Guitar Sanctuary.
View Quote
Never been to Allegiant. Where are they located?
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Never been to Allegiant. Where are they located?
View Quote
They're at 192 Industrial Boulevard #105, between Hwy 5 and Airport Road.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was going to recommend runner runner but I got beat.   It's a nice place
View Quote
+1 on Runner Runner Guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top