Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2017 11:31:52 AM EDT
I may be moving there and if anyone could give me some info on the area I'd appreciate it. Cost of housing, crime, just a feel for the place.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Instructional video provided below,
Skip to 2:20 :
https://youtu.be/bO1V-RS2wko
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been living here for the last 16 or so years. I like it a lot. You might want to rent first until you know the area a little better. There are some spots I would not live in, but most are good. It is growing here so there are a lot of new houses etc. I will look around for some resources for you. Good luck, and have a nice trip.

this will get you started
https://innewbraunfels.com/move/
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 9:25:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Housing depends on the neighborhood and manufacturer obviously.  Average middle class neighborhood is anywhere from $180k-$240k for new construction. You can find anything up to a million in some neighborhoods.

As far as crime, lots of meth and the burglaries that come with it. During the summer, alcohol related crimes increase with the tourism.

NB's crime map
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:25:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I love NB and have considered moving to the area (Hill country).  

Family is what keeps me tied to Abilene
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
East of 35 is mainly cookie cutter housing going in. You don't want to live right in town, too many tourists and traffic in summer. West of 35 there are nicer homes and not cookie cutter, inside the loop 337 ring.

To the west of 337, off 46, are nicer homes and bigger lots. But developments are going up fast.

If looking for a house I'd stay west of 35, and look in the outskirts for a larger lot with a nice house on it. Prices vary lot to lot.

The market moves fast, if you see a house you like get an offer in quick.

If renting while you look, most rentals started at $1100 for a small house or studio apartment and went up from there. That was 4 years ago when I rented down there.

Make sure you check the flood plains where ever you look and make sure you are in the clear for the seasonal floods.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#6]
My wife and I went there for a couple days to check it out.  

I could totally live there starting at 0600 tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Moved here last July, east of 35 in a Lennar neighborhood. Couldn't be happier for living in the city. Great neighborhood, quiet, safe, got a great deal on the house and values seem to be going up & up. They're building a new elementary school in the neighborhood as well as a second pool, so that's gonna be nice too. Lots of options around here, seem to only be limited by your imagination and pocket book.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Moved here last July, east of 35 in a Lennar neighborhood. Couldn't be happier for living in the city. Great neighborhood, quiet, safe, got a great deal on the house and values seem to be going up & up. They're building a new elementary school in the neighborhood as well as a second pool, so that's gonna be nice too. Lots of options around here, seem to only be limited by your imagination and pocket book.
View Quote
I know you're neighborhood. I'm about a mile away.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If you can swing it, try to buy on the hill above Landa Park. I have lived there for almost 30 years and it is a good location with nice neighbors.  If you do, try to stay a couple of blocks way from the high school. Oakwood is real nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top