Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/21/2017 4:38:23 AM EDT
Taking a trip in the beginning of August

I'll be flying into and staying in the Austin area for a little under a week.

I plan on driving out to SA and DFW while I'm there as well.

Looking for some suggestions on things to do and see in those areas since I've never been.

Thanks ahead of time
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:53:21 AM EDT
[#1]
You`ll be driving all day every day. Plan accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:20:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Looking for some suggestions on things to do and see in those areas since I've never been.
View Quote

There's another Austin thread with a lot of good suggestions, but there's a fair amount to do in Central Texas.  What you'd enjoy is probably more specific to what you like to do.

Lots of live music venues
Decent lake
Lots of greenbelt/trails (good mountainbiking and some ok climbing)
A few decent museums
Some very nice parks (Hamilton Pool, Enchanted Rock) about an hour away
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Well we need a sticky of all this stuff but a few for your trip pleasure.

SA

Alamo and take your hat off

River walk

Market area

Too many restaurants to mention.  but.
Boudro's On The Riverwalk is a place we go or Casa Rio for cheaper Tex Mex on the river and order a bowl of their chilli and think of a time when nobody put fucking beans in Chilli.

The CVS on the river walk is the cheapest beer Get a tall boy Lone Star beer.

I would suggest drinking a few and sweat it all out. Because it just might be a hot mother scratcher.

Walk around have a good time and explore.

Don't know shit about Dallas or Austin

Drive down to shiner and visit the brewery go to Luling and eat some barbq at lulling city Market.

Could do both of those one day and even hit some bull shit outlet mall for the wife.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:22:42 AM EDT
[#4]
San Antonio is about 2 hours from Austin, depending on where you are staying and what route you take.  DFW is roughly 3 1/2 hours.  In SA you should tour the Alamo and do the Riverwalk.

In DFW...Wow, sooooo many things.  Fw Stock Yards, museums out the kazoo..  School Book depository in Dallas, etc.....

People will be along with tons of stuff
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You might want to re-evaluate those plans, your list has you spending more time on the road than it does doing things.  (and all on IH-35 to boot)
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Get out of Austin as fast as you can, before the Liberal Dirt Bags try to convert you.

Just north of Austin is the town of Round Rock.  Stop in for a Texas size donut for breakfast.  Round Rock Donuts.  Been there since 1926

Once you get into Waco.  Grab lunch at Health Camp on the circle.  Great burgers and the best shake you'll ever have.

A mile or so north of Health Camp on I-35 is the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum.  If you're a gun guy, this is a must see.

20 miles north of Waco, stop in the town of West for your next days breakfast.  Czech community with some of the best Kolaches and baked goods in the world.  Gerik's Ole' Czech Bakery.  There are other's but Gerik's gets my business.  Grab a sack of goodies.  There even good out of the microwave next day.  Gerik's FaceBook page if you're into FB.

Dallas and San Antonio...  where do I start?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well we need a sticky of all this stuff but a few for your trip pleasure.
View Quote
Can we get this done?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Appreciate all the heads up so far everyone.

I'm definitely aware of the traffic from hell that comes with the I-35.
Seems to be all anyone I mention the trip to can talk about haha. So it must be a shit storm.

I should mention the DFW stop is tentative should we find the time.

Majority of the trip will be spent around the hill country

TEXASROOTERSBROTHER..Thanks for the heads up on the cheap beer, MVP goes to you.

Duramax.. the Rangers hall of fame will definitely be on the list if I head north, haven't heard about that one yet.

I'll go diving for that Austin thread as well for some more info. Anything else comes to mind feel free to post it
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:54:59 PM EDT
[#9]
The salt lick in driftwood.

Texas de brazil

Paesanos

Bobs steakhouse

grimaldi's
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Start hydrating now.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I enjoyed the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park.  Search for the driving map.

I second City Market in Luling and a trip to Shiner for a brewery tour and tasting.  Sadly they don't allow all you want anymore.

I'd also suggest a trip to Lockhart and have BBQ at any one (or all) of the BBQ joints there.  I especially recommend the pork chop at Kreuz Market.  Best pork chop I've ever eaten.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top