Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2017 12:49:27 PM EDT
House got appraised for a 53% increase in value from last year.  

I love Texas, but these appraisal districts are shit.  Pure shit.

Carry on.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:30:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I feel your pain. We tore down the house we lived in for 13 years (withe the homestead exemption caps for those years) and are rebuilding on our lot. I'm going to add some money to our escrow account to cover the KY when the tax bill comes in after the reappraisal.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 4:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Carry on.
View Quote

Thats so they can tax you more.

I did a simple online protest and I saved some money.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They really need to do something about property taxes in this state.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:33:36 PM EDT
[#4]
No homestead exemption?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:06:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just as a guesstimate, what does Zillow say about the before and now value.  Mine has increased about 63% there in the last 6 years.  Current value seems on par with the local homes selling very quickly.

Tax district has raised everyone in the neighborhoods taxable value up to max.  Did it myself before and did good, sourced the protest out this year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:04:08 AM EDT
[#6]
All you have to do is protest the value.  If you have actual comparable sales supporting your claim then you are set.

I'm in the industry.  PM me if you want me to get some realtors to produce those comps for you.

It'll be free since you're an arfcommer. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:29:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you have to do is protest the value.  If you have actual comparable sales supporting your claim then you are set.

I'm in the industry.  PM me if you want me to get some realtors to produce those comps for you.

It'll be free since you're an arfcommer. 
View Quote
Very generous of you.  Sending PM...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Carry on.
View Quote
If you are homesteaded there should be a cap on the increase in the appraised value on which they can actually tax you. And absolutely protest it if the comps of recent sales in your 'hood support you. Got a realtor friend that can run comps for you? 

Your other method of protest is if your house is.....how to put this nicely.....in much worse shape or otherwise has something odd going on to make it less valuable. In which case you run comps, and then photograph the "issues" in your house to show why it's different, then protest. 

Protest on top of making sure the homestead cap is being applied. 
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Agreed.  

I'm not keen on a state income tax, but maybe a sales/consumption tax would be best.  What I've read is that between a 11% and 16% sales tax (compared to the 8.25% it is now) would replace property tax.  

I would support that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Agreed.  

I'm not keen on a state income tax, but maybe a sales/consumption tax would be best.  What I've read is that between a 11% and 16% sales tax (compared to the 8.25% it is now) would replace property tax.  

I would support that.
View Quote
I also would love to see a law passed that upon re-assessment the home owner should have the option of saying, within 30 days of the assessment, ok, you just bought a house....and the city/town/whatever would have to buy your house for the assessed value minus, oh 8 to 10%. I mean if they say your house is worth that much, then they can sell it for an 8 to 10% profit...everyone is happy. I mean they wouldn't be making up bullshit assessments to pad the tax burden, now, would they?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:19:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Homestead Assessed Value Maximum Increase:
A Texas county appraisal distict may not increase the appraised value of a homestead by more than 10% in a given tax year. The homeowner's property tax is based on the county appraisal district's appraised value of the home. Technically, a Texas homestead's assessed value is limited to the lesser of either its market value or the sum of the market value of any new improvements and 110% of the appraised value of the preceding year. The 10% increase is cumulative. Therefore, the maximum increase is 10% times the number of years since the property was last appraised.

The 10% limitation on a Texas homestead is effective January 1st of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for a homestead exemption. The 10% limitaiton ends on January 1st of the tax year where the owner or the owner's spouse or surviving spouse no longer qualifies for the homestead exemption.

I'd kindly tell my appraising district to fuck off.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A Texas county appraisal distict may not increase the appraised value of a homestead by more than 10% in a given tax year. The homeowner's property tax is based on the county appraisal district's appraised value of the home. Technically, a Texas homestead's assessed value is limited to the lesser of either its market value or the sum of the market value of any new improvements and 110% of the appraised value of the preceding year. The 10% increase is cumulative. Therefore, the maximum increase is 10% times the number of years since the property was last appraised.

The 10% limitation on a Texas homestead is effective January 1st of the tax year following the first tax year the owner qualifies the property for a homestead exemption. The 10% limitaiton ends on January 1st of the tax year where the owner or the owner's spouse or surviving spouse no longer qualifies for the homestead exemption.

View Quote
Unless OP never filed the exemption...
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Call them up and tell them you will sell for the appraised value, and ask where you can pick up the check.

I was in DFW and they pulled that crap too.
Told them i wanted a court date and was going to contest it.
The next week they called back and lowered it over the phone,lol.
Greedy bastards!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:04:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you are homesteaded there should be a cap on the increase in the appraised value on which they can actually tax you. And absolutely protest it if the comps of recent sales in your 'hood support you. Got a realtor friend that can run comps for you? 

Your other method of protest is if your house is.....how to put this nicely.....in much worse shape or otherwise has something odd going on to make it less valuable. In which case you run comps, and then photograph the "issues" in your house to show why it's different, then protest. 

Protest on top of making sure the homestead cap is being applied. 
View Quote
We tried that for several years.  Lost due to HCAD starting to appraise properties on land value only and the value on the best possible use.  They could give a shit on the condition of the actual structure.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#15]

This is bullshit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 10:19:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Mine
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:17:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Call them up and tell them you will sell for the appraised value, and ask where you can pick up the check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an idea for a property appraisal/tax system.  You get to set your own appraisal value for your property, but you are required by law to sell it to anyone that offers you 20% more than the value you set.  If you appraise your property for $200,000 and someone offers you $220,000 then you would be required to sell it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 8:41:02 AM EDT
[#18]
The guy that owns the big ranch behind me bought a huge house in town and had it designated a historical landmark and this is what I suspected.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 10:17:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OP is definitely misleading.  Do you have homestead on property or not OP?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#20]
It is my understanding they can appraise it for what ever they want but they can only raise the amount you pay taxes on by 10 % a year.

Lets say you own a 100k house , the appraisal can go up to 150k or more but for this tax year you will pay tax on 110k next year 121k next  year 133.1 K and so on till they fuck you for the full 50k.

THEY DO THE DIRTY WORK for the taxing entities.

They can double the taxes every 7 years or more.

I have fought them for years and it seems like if you win they just take it back the next year.

Recently we must have hit a stretch where they don't raise my properties too much and I don't complain.  Last time I tried it was a total waste of time.  when you live in one of the fastest growing counties in the US it is kind of hard to argue.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have an idea for a property appraisal/tax system.  You get to set your own appraisal value for your property, but you are required by law to sell it to anyone that offers you 20% more than the value you set.  If you appraise your property for $200,000 and someone offers you $220,000 then you would be required to sell it.
View Quote
That's 10% btw...
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Can anyone suggest a good protest laywer (Houston Area)? I protested myself 2 years and clearly see the ARB is rigged. I have presented great comps, and found a math error in the comps the country provided...doesn't matter. 

I want someone to mess with this for me, but don't want to deal with a shit company. Any suggestions? 
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:50:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Can anyone suggest a good protest laywer (Houston Area)? I protested myself 2 years and clearly see the ARB is rigged. I have presented great comps, and found a math error in the comps the country provided...doesn't matter. 

I want someone to mess with this for me, but don't want to deal with a shit company. Any suggestions? 
View Quote
I have used O'Connor for several years.  They are a large company, not a lawyer, but they have been successful in reducing my taxes every year I have used them.

You are charged 50% of saved taxes.  If your tax bill would have been $4000 but is now $3200, you have to pay O'Connor $400.  

If they do not reduce your taxes, you owe nothing.  No fees or anything except 50% of actual savings.

You can google reviews of them.  Some people complain, but I have had no problem.  Hope they reduce me this year, because this increase is horseshit.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 9:10:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I've also used O'Connor and Associates for years with pretty good results..

http://www.poconnor.com/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top