Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2017 11:26:11 PM EDT
I have been offered a promotion by my current employer. Position will require me to move to the Corpus area.  Are there any areas I should avoid when searching for an apartment/townhouse/condo?  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#1]
No clue of areas to live around Corpus yet hope you like fucking hot and fucking humid. Cause that is what you are in for. 100+ temps with 100% humidity. I couldn't live there cause of the humidity. Lived in Austin for 11 years and humidity sucks give me the nice dry weather of West Texas. 100+ temp with maybe 10% humidity and at least 20-30mph breeze all day long over 100+ temp and 100% humidity with any wind. Although my experience in WV wasn't the greatest work sent me up there end of November which was nice for the first week in Wheeling yet the next two weeks way to much cold white shit for a Texas guy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:51:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Because of the humidity and cooling effect of the bay, Corpus seldom reaches 100.

There are MANY areas you will want to avoid.  Just like any other town.  Get yourself a broker or apartment finder.  If you go south of South Padre Island Drive (SPID), stay east of S. Staples, and south of Saratoga.  Don't go west of Rodd Field.  There are a couple of nice apartments on the Oso Bay side of Ennis Joslin, avoid the other side.  

Other then Ennis Joslin, I would avoid apartments north of SPID.  However, there are many condos and Townhouses along Ocean Drive and downtown.  

Avoid North Beach.  For condos and apartments, I would not consider any other areas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies. I realize that the heat will certainly be a factor. I have a relocation department that will be assisting me with the move. I will let them know that I am not interested in those areas.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:45:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because of the humidity and cooling effect of the bay, Corpus seldom reaches 100.

There are MANY areas you will want to avoid.  Just like any other town.  Get yourself a broker or apartment finder.  If you go south of South Padre Island Drive (SPID), stay east of S. Staples, and south of Saratoga.  Don't go west of Rodd Field.  There are a couple of nice apartments on the Oso Bay side of Ennis Joslin, avoid the other side.  

Other then Ennis Joslin, I would avoid apartments north of SPID.  However, there are many condos and Townhouses along Ocean Drive and downtown.  

Avoid North Beach.  For condos and apartments, I would not consider any other areas.
View Quote
Pretty much all of this. I'm off Saratoga and Staples, and it's decent enough. One of the neighboring apartments did have a break in, although it was more of a walk in as the owner never locked his door.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Anything near Saratoga and south is all newer area and nicer.  I live south of Saratoga off Airline and Rodd Field.  IM me if you have any questions about the area I can help you out a lot.  I moved here 6 years ago and I can give you a lot of good hints about this place.  Also good ranges to belong too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#6]
It's been a long time since I lived in Corpus Christi, but honestly, I don't remember the heat/humidity being all that bad.  I do remember it being windy all the time, though.

It's funny how times and places change.  I lived in an apartment off of Weber Road, and that was a decent area back then (35 years ago).  Sounds like it's pretty bad now.  

I still have a buddy who lives in Corpus Christi, but he is in the Calallen area.

Good luck with your move.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#7]
what side of town is your job on?  

Traffic doesn't seem to be too bad.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Based on "txinvestigator" and on some HUMINT.  Feel free to modify or suggest corrections.

Red to avoid.   Yellow/orange is "OK"

Pretty much South, south east of down town.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I would avoid everything within the blue circles I drew

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]
TXI & Edge nailed it.  I moved here May last year and bought a place where they described.  I have family here and been here before so I kinda already knew where to look.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:35:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You could always live in Portland or Calallen and commute
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Better areas are along Saratoga and Staples,  Along Ocean Drive and on the island. Avoid North beach, Four Bluff and anything inside of the ring made by the highway. There are some newer neighborhood in Calallen, I cannot speak to those.  Anything along Ayers/Baldwin/Leopard is the DMZ.

Honestly, if I cannot live near near the  Saratoga/Staples/Everhart area  I'd  look at Portland.  One plus there is the new Academy Sports.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Updated with Txi's info:

that really doesn't leave many options.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 11:01:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Portland prices are outrageous.

To a previous poster the weather is humid but it is no where near as bad as inland about 30-50 miles.  The gulf breeze usually keeps the weather not to bad.  Yes somedays it is hot as Hell when the wind dies down but after living in Victoria and other coastal areas but inland some CC is not bad at all.  I would recommend tinting your windows on your car it really helps living in south Texas worth every penny.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:13:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
This or drive in from Rockport
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Portland prices are outrageous.

To a previous poster the weather is humid but it is no where near as bad as inland about 30-50 miles.  The gulf breeze usually keeps the weather not to bad.  Yes somedays it is hot as Hell when the wind dies down but after living in Victoria and other coastal areas but inland some CC is not bad at all.  I would recommend tinting your windows on your car it really helps living in south Texas worth every penny.
View Quote
I agree with the humidity.  I actually think it's a little more on the dry side compared to Louisiana.  I hate going back home.  Even in the center of LA (Alexandria) the humidity feels 10x's worse than Corpus on a humid day.  The wind here helps tremendously.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Parents live in Flour Bluff for over 30 years.   A lot of .MIL guys there since it is close to the Naval Base/ Army Depot.  I don't think it is bad compared to larger Corpus Christi.  

Several gun stores close to the main drag (SPID) ; some even right off the highway; Sharpshooter on Staples street.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:50:35 PM EDT
[#18]
portland and odem areas are building up bigly with corpus/nueces county refugees
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top