Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2017 7:48:26 AM EDT
Just got my 2017 appraisal. Increased by 11%. Travis county just inside the Austin limits.

Anyone successfully dispute an appraisal in Travis county? How much trouble is it? Am I going to end up sitting in line for three days in some gov't building?

Also, anyone know of a good way to find comparables? I was looking on Zillow and they don't seem to list prices on properties that have sold within the last 12 months.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Get comps from a realtor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Have you claimed your homestead exemption?  You should have a 10% cap of max increase per year.

Realtor can get you comps but during my formal protest last year, they didn't take my MLS sales comps into account.  They flat out told me that MLS data isn't used as part of their appraisals.

It's not too much trouble.  You can eFile it online with what you think it should be, they'll counter and you can either accept for reject their counter-offer.  Then you can choose to goto an informal protest or a formal.  Always do the informal.  They will drag you over the coals in a formal.  The wait isn't too bad on an informal, maybe 2 hours total.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 10:03:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you claimed your homestead exemption?  You should have a 10% cap of max increase per year.

Realtor can get you comps but during my formal protest last year, they didn't take my MLS sales comps into account.  They flat out told me that MLS data isn't used as part of their appraisals.

It's not too much trouble.  You can eFile it online with what you think it should be, they'll counter and you can either accept for reject their counter-offer.  Then you can choose to goto an informal protest or a formal.  Always do the informal.  They will drag you over the coals in a formal.  The wait isn't too bad on an informal, maybe 2 hours total.
View Quote
I filled out my Williamson Country protest online last night in maybe 4 minutes.  They will either accept it online or I'll have to spend 30 minutes waiting to meet with one of their workers.  I have a neighbor that's a realtor run the comps and bring them with.  3 years they accepted online but 1 year I had to go into the office.  Every year I have gotten a reduction.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
How do you get comparables if you don't have buddies in real estate?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
Try the real estate agent you used to buy your home.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 2:59:09 AM EDT
[#7]
call around you local realtors.  especially ones that advertise.  it takes them a few minutes to run one and it's worth it to gain a potential future client.  realtors are always looking to expand their network.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I do real estate on the side in DFW. Rather than jumping on Google or social media, I strongly recommend asking people you trust who they like as a Realtor. That might help set the context of just wanting to see some comps as a favor rather than being treated like a lead.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I've disputed once before and got the value reduced.  I've heard there are companies that will dispute for you.  Whatever they save you, you pay them half of that.  Anyone know anything about this.  It wasn't hard to do it myself, but would prefer to let someone else do it for me today.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've disputed once before and got the value reduced.  I've heard there are companies that will dispute for you.  Whatever they save you, you pay them half of that.  Anyone know anything about this.  It wasn't hard to do it myself, but would prefer to let someone else do it for me today.
View Quote
Yep you're correct, they do the protesting.  They get half the savings.  Unless you don't have the time or want the hassle of doing it yourself, you have to do half as bad to break even.  If you don't want to mess with it and don't have the time, just eFile it and see what they offer in terms of a reduction.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 11:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
There is a lot next door that neighbor and I use for our septic drain field. With the easements a house cannot be built in it.  The city took off the septic in the evaluation and the lot jumped from 25K to 155K and now they want proof that there is septic in the lot.  

Lazy crooks
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Get comps from a realtor.
View Quote
I work in the real estate industry.  The first post is your answer.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:47:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
+1
You pay a realtor to do it.  You can ask a realtor to do it in exchange for a referral if they're flexible.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep you're correct, they do the protesting.  They get half the savings.  Unless you don't have the time or want the hassle of doing it yourself, you have to do half as bad to break even.  If you don't want to mess with it and don't have the time, just eFile it and see what they offer in terms of a reduction.
View Quote
Not all companies charge a 50% commission on the reduction amount.  There are some that will do 30% and others that will do it for a flat fee.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:45:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Not all companies charge a 50% commission on the reduction amount.  There are some that will do 30% and others that will do it for a flat fee.
View Quote
good to know.  know any of the names off the top of your head?  i know in austin, i just got something in the mail from protax.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#16]
I use Tiffany Hamil (flat fee) every year but in Tarrant county. Best I could tell you is to give her office a call. Maybe she can recommend someone in your area/county.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I just received my county tax report yesterday.

Question, if my house is undervalued and the houses around us have been selling like hotcakes and are much higher.  Am I screwed?

Our house went from $191,000 to $210,000 for 2016.  Now this year they are proposing $219,000.... a house behind us same design with some more upgrades than we have sold for around $235,000 last year.

This is Pearland, TX in Brazoria County.  Our taxes and home insurance is higher than the premium on the mortgage which is just insane to me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if you are aware of this, but sale price and appraisal value are not related.  

There is supposed to be some convoluted chicken shit formula they won't tell you about, used to come up with an assessed valuation.  I have accused them in the past of taking last year's appraisal and using a multiplier to come up with the next years valuation.  

BTW:  If you go to a protest, make sure you carry.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Have you called or asked the CAD what triggered the increase? It's possible with the real estate market the increase is warranted.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Question, if my house is undervalued and the houses around us have been selling like hotcakes and are much higher.  Am I screwed?

Our house went from $191,000 to $210,000 for 2016.  Now this year they are proposing $219,000.... a house behind us same design with some more upgrades than we have sold for around $235,000 last year.

This is Pearland, TX in Brazoria County.  Our taxes and home insurance is higher than the premium on the mortgage which is just insane to me.
View Quote
Yes, you will be probably hit with the max 10% increase until your home is valued at the price at which the comparables are selling.  Just max sure you have homestead so they can't jack you more than 10%!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I protested the appraised value increase in Dallas county many years ago on a house I used to own. I didn't submit comps at the time because they actually hurt my cause. Instead, I got estimates from several repair outfits on the repairs needed for my house and took photos of all the damage throughout that needed the repairs. I submitted it all, and they agreed to reduce it. Just another angle to look at when preparing your case if your house is in need of repair.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:49:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I protested the appraised value increase in Dallas county many years ago on a house I used to own. I didn't submit comps at the time because they actually hurt my cause. Instead, I got estimates from several repair outfits on the repairs needed for my house and took photos of all the damage throughout that needed the repairs. I submitted it all, and they agreed to reduce it. Just another angle to look at when preparing your case if your house is in need of repair.
View Quote
Did that for Harris County.  They just used land value instead because of "the valuation based on the best economic use available".  It went higher during the formal protest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:51:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you have a standard size lot or acreage.  If you have acreage consider having designated as agricultural exemption (ie throw some cows on the property).  We did.

Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Do you have a standard size lot or acreage.  If you have acreage consider having designated as agricultural exemption (ie throw some cows on the property).  We did.
View Quote

We have a standard lot in a subdivision.  I received a comp report yesterday and all the houses have gone up significantly.... holy hell it's insane.

I keep our house in good shape so it's going to be difficult to find repairs to try and get this thing reduced.  I'll try and fight it but I think I'm going to get bent.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

good to know.  know any of the names off the top of your head?  i know in austin, i just got something in the mail from protax.
View Quote
Not sure of Travis County.  We are currently using O'Connor & Associates and is currently very disappointed with their performance.  The neighbor across the street from me uses Bettencourt Tax Advisors, LLC and is experience better performance.  What I am doing now is looking at my network and see who uses who and determining who has a better track record.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top