Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/23/2017 11:42:12 PM EDT
I have never seen a B-1 Bomber, and I really want to. I'd love to take a ride out there and sit outside the base at the end of the runway and watch them take off and land. I did this at Oceania in Virginia Beach several years ago, and it was awesome. 

Do they fly every day out there, or every few days? Are there days that they usually fly? Is there a way to plan a day trip that would increase  the likelihood that I would get to see these guys and maybe get some pictures? 
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:07:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Every time I drive past, in decent weather, they are coming or going.

Takeoffs and landings are nice, but my jaw dropped the first time I saw a B-1 do a low altitude double aileron roll. For a split second I thought it was a disaster in the making, but then realized it was intentional. Only thing cooler is a 707 rolling.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 12:12:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Every time I drive past, in decent weather, they are coming or going.

Takeoffs and landings are nice, but my jaw dropped the first time I saw a B-1 do a low altitude double aileron roll. For a split second I thought it was a disaster in the making, but then realized it was intentional. Only thing cooler is a 707 rolling.
View Quote
Awesome! I am going to take a day off and go out there. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 5:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
In the 90s there was a county road on the west side of the perimeter fence which was the closest you could get to the runway. There was a place to pull over at that point. It was parallel to the runway. Not sure if it still exists but it was a great view point.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#4]
The B-1 is cool...but so is watching a F-35 stop mid-air, hover, turn 180 while stationary, then head back the way it came.  That is an awesome sight...the first time you see it, it's hard to wrap your mind around.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm about 110 miles away so I only see them at high altitude.  I love seeing them do rolls, for a plane that size they sure do not move like a large plane.

A shame the Mach 2+ version never made it to production.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#6]
In todays current political weather and cause for suspiciousness, I'm not too sure how you would be recieved doing that.

That being said, might want to wait for an Airshow day.  We should have one coming very soon. Usually April/May.

If not, try the west road bordering Dyess, FM707.  PM me if you want more info and info about Abilene.  Hell, Ill meet up with u for a beer.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:21:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In todays current political weather and cause for suspiciousness, I'm not too sure how you would be recieved doing that.

That being said, might want to wait for an Airshow day.  We should have one coming very soon. Usually April/May.

If not, try the west road bordering Dyess, FM707.  PM me if you want more info and info about Abilene.  Hell, Ill meet up with u for a beer.
View Quote
I may take you up on that. I have to find a good spot to take a day off from work though. 
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I was through there last December and saw 2 of them making touch-and-gos. I got off the Interstate at Tye, took Scott Street the 4-5 blocks to Air Base Road. Followed Air Base Rd. a few blocks to Morgan St. 

If you turn south onto Morgan St., you can go passed the cemetery and there is a gate at the entrance to that county facility there. I parked there, watched them make about 6 touch and goes each...and nobody said shit. A couple of guys from the County facility did give me a thumbs up as they saw I was watching the jets. 

Over several trips, I've driven all around the post and that's about the best place I've found to watch from. It depends on which way they're departing/landing dependent on the wind. They were taking off over me and were only a couple hundred yards away as the flew just to my east. Close enough that I could read the tail dope on the planes. 

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I was through there last December and saw 2 of them making touch-and-gos. I got off the Interstate at Tye, took Scott Street the 4-5 blocks to Air Base Road. Followed Air Base Rd. a few blocks to Morgan St. 

If you turn south onto Morgan St., you can go passed the cemetery and there is a gate at the entrance to that county facility there. I parked there, watched them make about 6 touch and goes each...and nobody said shit. A couple of guys from the County facility did give me a thumbs up as they saw I was watching the jets. 

Over several trips, I've driven all around the post and that's about the best place I've found to watch from. It depends on which way they're departing/landing dependent on the wind. They were taking off over me and were only a couple hundred yards away as the flew just to my east. Close enough that I could read the tail dope on the planes. 

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57642/IMG-0041--2--180061.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/57642/IMG-0041--2--180061.JPG
Yuuuup. That pic.  Tye Texas!  
Glad it works out.
They are definately gearing up for something.  LOTS of activity the last few weeks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Yea, they fly pretty frequent.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
FM 707 is the road you want to be on. Has great views of the flight line.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 7:13:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Heard an radio add today-
Looks like the Big Country Airshow will be Sat May 6th at the Abilene Regional Airport.
Dunno how much admission is but gates are open from 0800-1700.  

For those who dont know, the ARA is just southeast of Loop 322 and Hwy 36.

Be a good chance to see the B1 and other awesome aircraft in person.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I dont get to see yhrm frequently but my deer lease is in Bronte. I used to stop by the base when i was still in the TX Guard. Pretty cool shit.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Glad to see I'm not the only B-1 fan.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Prohibited Items:No weapons, illegal drugs, pepper spray, pets, coolers, backpacks, outside food or drinks (except water bottles) or drones.

I'll pass, thanks. 
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
It was a great show.  My first time to see a B2.  The Bone made low pass flyovers with the wings swept back and afterburners on.  The B-25, P-51, AT-6, and BT-15s are always awesome.  We took a flight on the Ford Tri-Motor.  Too cool.

There were a couple of SDs at the gate, but they weren't really checking anyone.  I had my PM2, people brought in dogs, coolers, backpacks, and God only knows what else.  I suppose they would have said something if they'd seen anyone open carrying.  APD and DPS kept traffic flowing smoothly.

Not trying to start anything, but some of you guys seem to be wound a little tight if you can't go somewhere occasionally without a weapon, cooler, and outside drink. I guess things are different out here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:53:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It was a great show.  My first time to see a B2.  The Bone made low pass flyovers with the wings swept back and afterburners on.  The B-25, P-51, AT-6, and BT-15s are always awesome.  We took a flight on the Ford Tri-Motor.  Too cool.

There were a couple of SDs at the gate, but they weren't really checking anyone.  I had my PM2, people brought in dogs, coolers, backpacks, and God only knows what else.  I suppose they would have said something if they'd seen anyone open carrying.  APD and DPS kept traffic flowing smoothly.

Not trying to start anything, but some of you guys seem to be wound a little tight if you can't go somewhere occasionally without a weapon, cooler, and outside drink. I guess things are different out here.
View Quote
Couldn't make it because my brother came into town. 

I am going to go out there and try to see them fly though. 

I wish they would do a fly by for the Fort Worth Alliance show. 
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote
I reckon they are. I'm through there all the time going to Midland and back. I'm just not up for driving 2 hours to an airshow that tells me I can't bring in sammiches and cokes. 

I'm about 15 minutes from FTW Alliance, Carswell, and have an office right off the runway at Lackland. I see a lot of airshows. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:29:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
Wow, too bad I missed this.  I had been on th eir site a while back and never even noticed an event on the horizon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top