Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2017 12:01:49 PM EDT
Hello,

Purchased a rifle (pics forthcoming!) marked 'Morton' and wearing one of the Pachmayr pads that they would produce with the shops name.

Rifle is of very high quality workmanship, so I am interested in an history of the Morton Gun Works I can find.  Google turned up a few tidbits but I thought Arfcom Texas may be able to expand the knowledge base.

Any information is helpful and I will hopefully be able to ask additional questions based on the replies.

A couple pictures when I had it apart for examination.   More later.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#1]
It appears that Morton Gun Works was located at:

2115 Santa Fe

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Morton(of Texas):

Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:19:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I lived at 2010 Santa Fe for 5 years. It's not there now. It is an apartment building now.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:05:04 AM EDT
[#4]
My Dad, now going on 83 years of age, has always been a gun tinkerer and into custom bolt rifles. I remember him talking about Morton and the quality of his work. I'll try to remember to ask him about it in the morning.

Quoted:
It appears that Morton Gun Works was located at:

2115 Santa Fe

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119347/download--3--170791.JPG
View Quote
FWIW, Supreme Radiator and Guys Floor's are still in business, Mrs. Horany found her billfold, and the five room rent house is now going for $35 a month.

ETA- That is a gorgeous rifle that has the typical styling of 1950's and '60's custom guns.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:44:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Dad, now going on 83 years of age, has always been a gun tinkerer and into custom bolt rifles. I remember him talking about Morton and the quality of his work. I'll try to remember to ask him about it in the morning.

FWIW, Supreme Radiator and Guys Floor's are still in business, Mrs. Horany found her billfold, and the five room rent house is now going for $35 a month.

ETA- That is a gorgeous rifle that has the typical styling of 1950's and '60's custom guns.
View Quote
Thank you for the information.
Deep digging through Google turned up a few bad pics of other Morton rifles.  All had nice lines, but the pics were not good enough to see detail.
A couple of comments that Morton may have had only one arm.  Maybe your father could confirm or deny that story.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thank you for the information.
Deep digging through Google turned up a few bad pics of other Morton rifles.  All had nice lines, but the pics were not good enough to see detail.
A couple of comments that Morton may have had only one arm.  Maybe your father could confirm or deny that story.
View Quote
 Talked to Dad this morning about this. The guys name was Paul Morton. Dad said he died 30, maybe even 40 years ago. Yes, he lost part of his arm just above the wrist when a customer brought a loaded shotgun into his shop for some work.

He did some work for Dad on a Mannlicher-Schönauer in the late '50's or early '60's. He said he did beautiful work but was crotchety and sometimes downright rude and condescending. Dad said his stock work was known for the hand-carved Schnabel for ends on them. He also said he remembered one of his rifles being featured in a Gun Digest back in the '60's. I still have Dads Gun Digest from 1966, I'll look at it and see if that happens to be the one.

What caliber is that rifle?
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:58:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Talked to Dad this morning about this. The guys name was Paul Morton. Dad said he died 30, maybe even 40 years ago. Yes, he lost part of his arm just above the wrist when a customer brought a loaded shotgun into his shop for some work.

He did some work for Dad on a Mannlicher-Schönauer in the late '50's or early '60's. He said he did beautiful work but was crotchety and sometimes downright rude and condescending. Dad said his stock work was known for the hand-carved Schnabel for ends on them. He also said he remembered one of his rifles being featured in a Gun Digest back in the '60's. I still have Dads Gun Digest from 1966, I'll look at it and see if that happens to be the one.

What caliber is that rifle?
View Quote
.270 Winchester.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top