Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2017 11:46:48 AM EDT
You had to sign up for it in advance, anyone else going?

The guy who owns the little game ranch is my wife's coworker and he did our chl training.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't know about it.  Post up anything interesting that comes out of it.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 1:15:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It was interesting. It was one of the Law Shield seminars.

They brought in a Fort Worth Police officer to talk about run, hide, fight. I won't say that he gave out bad information, because run, hide, fight all revolves around being unarmed. He never once did say, if you're barricaded and armed or hidden and armed, to specifically shoot the assailant when he confronts you. He danced all around it.

The other half of his talk was pretty much saying once the police show up, you stand a hell of a good chance of getting shot by the police as they attempt to sort out the victims, even if you never touch or display your weapon.  I understand the police want to go home at the end of the shift, but fuck, I just went to Walmart for a jug of milk, I want to go home too. That lack of concern bothers me. The moral of the story I got was if the shooting starts and I'm not directly involved, to GTFO with my kids at all costs and get far far away.

They also brought in one of the Law Shield contracted attorneys. I didn't understand how or what she did full time, but somehow she worked under DOJ for the Bureau of Prisons. Very conservative, but articulate and aggressive young black female lawyer, very 2nd amendment, and very much against transgendered bathrooms, etc., which was part of her rant against Target stores and their 30.06/30.07 signs. Her talk was to basically inform you of what could happen if you were involved in a justified shooting and drug through the state judicial system. She also talked about what would happen if you carried past a 30.06 sign and were forced to use your weapon. I'm not a lawyer, so I won't even try to explain it, but I did feel better after hearing her explain it.

But I was very impressed with her as a lawyer. If I had to go to trial in Dallas Co., she'd be exactly the person I'd want up there with me.

There was also a fair share of wtf questions from the audience. Everyone was very professional in their answers no matter what. I'd probably go again if they had another one close to home. I didn't necessarily like all the answers I got, but it gave me a good idea what we're up against just trying not to be victimized.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm curious as to where the data on friendly fire comes from.  If the instructor handed out any studies I would love to see them.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You had to sign up for it in advance, anyone else going?

The guy who owns the little game ranch is my wife's coworker and he did our chl training.
View Quote

Every LTC holder should take an active-shooter instruction class at least once.  The real deal.  Something with simmunitions.

Its very realistic, and those simms hurt!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 8:41:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Every LTC holder should take an active-shooter instruction class at least once.  The real deal.  Something with simmunitions.

View Quote
You're talking about a training class vs an insurance sales seminar like this, though.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Actually if you follow what they were saying, I don't think it would be of much use, there is no John McClain scenario. If you have to shoot, it will happen right there, right now or you will be barricaded waiting for the shooter to walk through a choke point. All other options involve gtfo.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Take a good active shooter training class. May broaden your perspective.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Who offers a good active shooter class in Texas?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:13:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Paul Howe. I took his class a few years ago and it was very, very good. Just make sure your handgun shooting is up to par; we shot nothing but hostage targets the first day and also had 75yd shots on steel. He has a video out through Panteo on it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 6:55:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Paul Howe. I took his class a few years ago and it was very, very good. Just make sure your handgun shooting is up to par; we shot nothing but hostage targets the first day and also had 75yd shots on steel. He has a video out through Panteo on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I would have to work on my pistol skills a bunch before that. I have taken a class with a rifle class with an instructor that teaches he format. Now that i'm close I would like to look into his courses. That or another Tiger Valley class this year.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Scurry as in Scurry County?

Didn't know about this one, and skipped the one in Lubbock because of a prior commitment.
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Scurry as in Scurry County?

Didn't know about this one, and skipped the one in Lubbock because of a prior commitment.
View Quote
Scurry, TX in Kaufman Co.

You could tell all the city folks who were there. Someone asked, "you guys have Subway sandwich shops over here?"

Really?

We're like 10 minutes away from a Subway. 20 minutes from the Dallas Co. line. I think if you dragged them out to West Texas, they'd die.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife went to one of these in Tyler and basically was told to hide under her desk.  Real smart.  Her business, a large doctors office is posted 30.06 and 30.07. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top