Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
Hi guys,

My wife and I (active, early 50's) are coming in to Austin airport and driving South to around New Braunfels.

Main purpose is to scout out a possible retirement location, but we want to have fun as well.  

We love bbq, mexican and steaks.  

I do plan a day trip to go see canyon lake.  

Any advice on what else to look at, good places to eat, or anything like that is appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Buc-ees
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 6:56:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Best steak in New Braunfels is Myrons.
Be prepared to spend $150 - $200 for a couple
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Gruene Hall
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Myron's for steak, Clear Springs Restaurant for chicken fried steak or fried catfish (their onion rings are top notch too), nothing great Mexican-food related - unless you like Tex-Mex... Chuy's in San Marcos is good stuff. If you make it to the West side of Canyon Lake, Granny D's for breakfast and the Antler Cafe for lunch. The Reel Seafood Restaurant is decent too.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm honestly not sure what "Tex-Mex" is.    Sounds like "Texas-ized mexican food."  

Chicken fried tacos?  

Compared to what we get in PA that passes for mexican, I'm sure it will be awesome.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gruene Hall
View Quote
+1 on this
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:20:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I'm honestly not sure what "Tex-Mex" is.    Sounds like "Texas-ized mexican food."  

Chicken fried tacos?  

Compared to what we get in PA that passes for mexican, I'm sure it will be awesome.
View Quote
Lol, but yes it is texas version of Mexican food, but not americanized like Chinese food is. Texas has a huge Hispanic influence, but Texas hispanics are much different than Mexicans. Just like Tejano music is different than music from Mexico. Coming from a Hispanic Texan culture on my dads side I can see the difference from that of which the illegals are bringing into America.

In the same way, Americans from the south have different food and culture different than Americans from the north.

ETA: good wiki article about Tex mex - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex-Mex
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Myrons, mcadoo, gennaros, Granzins Bbq, infernos pizza, mozies.

Naeglins, maybe friesenhaus ( haven't been to haus yet).

Don't bother looking for houses east of 35. Go west and start around 1863 and 46. Unless you like small lots and cookie cutter, then go east.

Area is growning and expanding east and west at a ridiculous rate.

If it's warm enough can try to get down to the Comal and hang out.

Cruise around Gruene.

Depending on budget check out Wimberley area/ west hays county for homes. Wouldn't go any farther south than bracken (3009/35).

Edit: Mexican food I'd go to Hanna's. I'd skip el nopalitos. Can give los gallos a shot, they are ok. Herbert's isn't bad.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Gruene Hall
View Quote
Bingo. Best venue in Texas. 

Gruene Hall

Link Posted: 3/19/2017 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
My cousin has a bbq and burger restaurant in Wimberly that I still haven't been able to go visit. But I have had his food for years and he and his family are good people. They might be able to give you some pointers for the area, too.

The Back Porch:

http://backporchwimberley.com/index.html

https://g.co/kgs/75T4a3
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 4:41:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm just south of there and you've gotten the best recommendations I can think of for NB TX.

This area, including Austin are internationally known for their restaurants and you will have NO trouble finding a place to stuff your face with whatever you want.

Be carefull where you buy and pay attention to flood-zones in NBTX.  Don't buy a house in a flood zone near the river. 
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:47:53 PM EDT
[#12]
You will need money, lots of it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 8:14:00 AM EDT
[#13]
was nice in the 70's Real Texas moved west.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:07:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Not sure what you are looking for but make sure it has water and electricity.  Those are expense to get installed if not.  My sister has 10 acres overlooking the lake, it's heaven.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:18:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm down here, initially in the DFW area for tonight.  

First impressions:  

1 - Love the weather.  

2 - The way roads, road signs, and vehicular travel is organized here is completely fucking bizarre to me coming from the tri-state area.  

3 - I ate absolutely heavenly BBQ for lunch.   Brisket, Jalapeno cheddar sausage, turkey, ribs, and chicken.   It's no joke.  

4 - The people seem nice.  Everyone I spoke with was friendly and helpful.    

Is there is some kind of general fashion statement for young men that involves those squashy fidel castro looking hats pulled down low onto the head, baggy pants, work boots and a sort of droopy posture?   It looks like a thing.  I've seen too many like this for it not to be.   I could give a shit, but it's something that stood out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:33:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Chicken fried tacos?  

View Quote
Most places serve Tex Mex, which is different than Mexican food, but being from PA Tex Mex is what you're looking for
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

First impressions:  

1 - Love the weather.  

2 - The way roads, road signs, and vehicular travel is organized here is completely fucking bizarre to me coming from the tri-state area.  

3 - I ate absolutely heavenly BBQ for lunch.   Brisket, Jalapeno cheddar sausage, turkey, ribs, and chicken.   It's no joke.  

Is there is some kind of general fashion statement for young men that involves those squashy fidel castro looking hats pulled down low onto the head, baggy pants, work boots and a sort of droopy posture?   It looks like a thing.  I've seen too many like this for it not to be.   I could give a shit, but it's something that stood out.
View Quote
Where are you at in DFW?  That might make a difference, otherwise young people are dumb.  Head west and you'll see lots and lots of cowboy boots.

Traveling the country I'm always glad to be back in Texas, our road systems will eventually make sense.  We like to drive fast too, unless you're on i35, which can suck donkey dick
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:00:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

First impressions:  

1 - Love the weather.  

View Quote
I thought so too.  The 'access roads' are redundant wastes of money.  The YIELD signs on the access roads contribute to a lot of traffic backups as well, just to name a couple things.

However, that said, you will QUICKLY get used to not having to drive 55mph everywhere you go, trust me.

The wardrobe here could be that people are packing GLOCKS more so than in your home state?

I wear baggy shirts to keep my gun hidden, too :D
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Naw, we pack more than you guys do for sure.  

I've seen orders of magnitude more signs about where I can't carry here than in Pennsylvania.

And in TX they apparently carry the force of law (or claim to).   In PA all they can ask you to do is leave.  

This is some kind of droopy/sloppy look.   It's a specific age group from mid 20's to mid 30's that dresses how I am describing.  

Like this:

But with a dirty tee shirt, loose carhartt style pants, and work boots.   With a deliberately slow slouchy walk.  I will try and get some photos of this.  

Just went out for tex-mex.   It was really good, but that BBQ I had for lunch was just heavenly.   I'll have dreams about it.  

It was from here:  

http://www.meatuanywhere.com/  

They gave us samples of anything they wanted.   Ribs were okay, but everything else was outrageously good.   Especially brisket and that sausage.  

I am getting used to the roads, but yeah, the I35 traffic is literally worse than center city Phila I-95.    Good call on that.  

I found some tequilas that aren't available back home.   I'll be taking back some Christmas gifts.  

I am off to Austin after rush hour tomorrow AM.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Naw, we pack more than you guys do for sure.  

I've seen orders of magnitude more signs about where I can't carry here than in Pennsylvania.

And in TX they apparently carry the force of law (or claim to).   In PA all they can ask you to do is leave.  

This is some kind of droopy/sloppy look.   It's a specific age group from mid 20's to mid 30's that dresses how I am describing.  

Like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31EDR7YB60L.jpg

But with a dirty tee shirt, loose carhartt style pants, and work boots.   With a deliberately slow slouchy walk.  I will try and get some photos of this.  

Just went out for tex-mex.   It was really good, but that BBQ I had for lunch was just heavenly.   I'll have dreams about it.  

It was from here:  

http://www.meatuanywhere.com/  

They gave us samples of anything they wanted.   Ribs were okay, but everything else was outrageously good.   Especially brisket and that sausage.  

I am getting used to the roads, but yeah, the I35 traffic is literally worse than center city Phila I-95.    Good call on that.  

I found some tequilas that aren't available back home.   I'll be taking back some Christmas gifts.  

I am off to Austin after rush hour tomorrow AM.  
View Quote
Anywhere they sell alcohol will have certain signage, if its 51% then you can't carry, but gas stations, grocery stores, etc. that sell for off premises consumption will all have some signage but you can carry if TX accepts the PA license (and you have said license).  

30.06 - no concealed carry
30.07 - no open carry (concealed okay)
51% - more than 51% of income is from on premises alcohol sales, so no carry
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:17:33 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're staying in Austin, you are stuck with 35. IF you're traveling South to New Braunfels exit SH-130 toll North of Austin and take that to either 45 (Buda/cabelas right at end of 45 toll) which goes back to 35. Or take 130 to HWY46 which will get you into New Braunfels.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 3:45:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Getting out of DFW and going South totally changed my opinion of the road situation.  It's a city thing.   VERY smooth sailing once out of the city.

I'm in Austin now.   Prepping for work stuff tomorrow.  

One thing that hit me cleanly here, is the amount of pride there is both of the USA and of Texas itself.   There are state flags virtually everywhere a US flag is.    Even the waffle in the hotel was Texas shaped.

A thousand Bravos on you guys for that.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:03:34 AM EDT
[#23]
I live in Austin, but I work in New Braunfels.
Here's a list of what my co-workers who live locally recommend:
Tex-Mex: Los Gallos
BBQ: Cooper's, CBQ
Seafood: McAdoo's
Steak: Myron's
Variety: Gruene River Grill
Chili: Phoenix Saloon
Pizza: Oregano's, Inferno's
The steak and seafood places are expensive, but I can't tell you if they are worth it or not because I haven't eaten there.
There are LOTS of good places in Austin to eat.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 5:23:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Gruene Hall
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Getting out of DFW and going South totally changed my opinion of the road situation.  It's a city thing.   VERY smooth sailing once out of the city.

One thing that hit me cleanly here, is the amount of pride there is both of the USA and of Texas itself.   There are state flags virtually everywhere a US flag is.    Even the waffle in the hotel was Texas shaped.

View Quote
The urban areas are pretty silly like that yes.  But TX has some work to do with the way it manages traffic and traffic patterns.

I'm from NY, and while I don't look to NY for advice on much, I Do wish the state would eliminate all the YIELD signs.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The urban areas are pretty silly like that yes.  But TX has some work to do with the way it manages traffic and traffic patterns.

I'm from NY, and while I don't look to NY for advice on much, I Do wish the state would eliminate all the YIELD signs.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you want stop signs instead?
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chicken fried tacos?  

View Quote
Tex-Mex is killer stuff..there's definitely a difference between Tex-Mex and Mexican. 

There's great BBQ in Lockhart nearby, but one of my favorite spots is Hays County BBQ on 35 in San Marcos. You'll pass right by it. Good brisket, sausage and sauce are awesome, as is their tater salad.

ETA Gristmill in Gruene is good shit too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I have lived in New Braunfels, TX  over 30 years. Pat's Place for general food, Granzines BBQ, Union Station for breakfast, Los Galogas and Nopolitos on the loop or Adobe Verde on Business 81 for Tex Mex.  the Grits Mill for food and Oma's Secert Garden for relaxation and beer.   There are a ton of other places as NBTX has a lot of Snow Birds in the winter and tourists in the summer.

As for houses, the hill is where you want to be. These are the houses west of Landa St. and inside of Loop 337.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 2:11:49 PM EDT
[#29]
What a fantastic trip guys, thanks for all the great advice.  I'm back in freezing, rainy Philadelphia.

Gruene, NB, and the canyon lake area beyond that were my favorites, and were just gorgeous in every regard.   Gruene itself was amazing and we spent a whole evening there walking around, eating and having drinks.  

I liked San Antonio a lot as well.  We also made it down there.  

The locals everywhere we went were friendly and helpful.  

My wife is a beach person, so our next investigation will be down closer to the coast.  I figure I will focus on the areas outside of Corpus.  

Alice

Calallen

Rockport

Refugio

Sinton

Any advice on these, send away.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 8:56:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I'm gonna hop in and be the naysayer.

The Texas coast sucks. It just does.

Brown water, jelly fish, not so great beaches. Bugs swarming from the dunes.

For coastal I much prefer Florida.

I'd rather live in NB and go to the river every day in summer (cold, clear, flowing water) than be on the Texas coast.

Flame on.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#31]
I think that's fair to say, and we will have to see for ourselves.  

Forewarned is forearmed.  

We are also going to look at the pan handle of FL.  North of Pensacola/Panama City, etc.  It actually seems like land (enough to shoot on) is more affordable there.  

There's just so much I love about Texas, especially having been there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#32]
The Texas coast does suck. Mosquito's galore, dive bombing sea gulls, hot and humid, and constant wind is what you will find. Plus due the the gulf currents all the trash the commie in Cuba dump into the ocean wash up on the beaches.

The Red Neck Riviera in the Florida pan handle is much nicer.

Don't underestimate the hours of fun being a river drunk. New Braunfels raises being a river drunk to all time highs.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:40:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I grew up on the banks of the Comal river at the tube chute. For 15 years I spent summers on the water there. Before all the bullshit fees and laws and repealed laws.

Hours and years of fun in the sun with crystal clear cool water. I've floated, swum, kayaked, and snorkeled it. Hundreds of times.

I'm 2-3 hours from the Texas coast, and 14 hours from the Florida coast. I'll drive to Florida and rent a hotel for a week before I'll spend a day at the Texas coast.

If you go spend a day at the river, grab a cooler, fill it with ice and beer and snacks. Drive to the "float inn" behind the mill. Park in their fenced lot. Grab your shit, pay ~$20 to walk through their property to the river and park in their lot for the day. Hang out past their property line on the water line and drink and eat and have fun because you're outside their liquor license area. On the off chance the 16 yr old at the desk asks to search your cooler (hasn't happened in 5 years) toss them a $10 and go on with your activities. Then at the end of the day grab your shit, walk 20 yards to your car, and go safely home.

With the above knowledge you can now be a local.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:48:42 PM EDT
[#34]
It takes a bit to learn to love the TX gulf coast. I had a place on Bolivar Peninsula for 15 years and was getting close until Hurricane Ike took it out.

Try Rockport.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top