Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/18/2017 8:47:18 AM EDT
Looking to drive from atlanta to denver in april and am wondering if the amarillo route is worth the extra few hours over the kansas city route?
Help me out my texas brethren
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Only if you turn south at Amarillo and go see the Palo Duro canyon. From Fort Worth to Amarillo is just farm land. The canyon will add a couple of hours to your trip but totally worth it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only if you turn south at Amarillo and go see the Palo Duro canyon. From Fort Worth to Amarillo is just farm land. The canyon will add a couple of hours to your trip but totally worth it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/124978/paloduro-168525.JPG
View Quote
Don't remember it looking like that. Although it has been a few decades since I have been there.

And no Amarillo not worth a few hours out of the way. Although if wanted to go an hour south of Amarillo then come on down to Lubbock.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 7:20:41 AM EDT
[#3]
http://bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 9:13:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://bigtexan.com/72-oz-steak/
View Quote
Made it hot fer ya

This, this is worth it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't remember it looking like that. Although it has been a few decades since I have been there.

And no Amarillo not worth a few hours out of the way. Although if wanted to go an hour south of Amarillo then come on down to Lubbock.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/124978/paloduro-168525.JPG

Palo Duro is cool, so is caprock canyons, probably not worth extra hours on that long ass drive though.  Lubbock has TTU, and the Buddy Holly center which is worth checking out, plus some good arfcommers
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:30:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas Outdoor Musical while you are at Palo Duro Canyon. (If you're into that kind of entertainment.  Good show!)
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:32:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Texas Outdoor Musical while you are at Palo Duro Canyon. (If you're into that kind of entertainment.  Good show!)
View Quote
I've been to that
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been to that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to that
It is off season for that.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:45:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been to that
I'm not really into musicals, but it was entertaining enough, this has been awhile back
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:53:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Going northwest from Amarillo towards Raton and up from there is maybe a little more scenic than what you would see coming into Denver from the east  but it's not worth adding hours to your drive unless you just have all the time in the world.  Amarillo isn't a bad place, but it's far from a "destination."

I once drove from DFW to Denver via Amarillo, staying in Texhoma, OK (a little out of the way but it was a free bed) and then I think 385/287 up from there until I hit I-70.  I was alone, had plenty of time, and it was kind of nice to just set the cruise control, with hardly any traffic at all, and see the countryside.  But I chose a more standard route coming back to save time.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Palo Duro Canyon is worth the time but Amarillo is not worth the time.   Unless you go to Palo Duro, I would go through KC and follow the long and boring I-70 route.  At least most rest stops are clean in Kansas.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Palo Duro Canyon is worth the time but Amarillo is not worth the time.   Unless you go to Palo Duro, I would go through KC and follow the long and boring I-70 route.  At least most rest stops are clean in Kansas.
View Quote
The rest stops along 287 are new and clean. they are called "Safety Rest Areas".
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
I would skip the added miles, and I've driven from DFW to northeast Wyoming and back, by way of Amarillo, twice in the past two years.  Dallas Fort Worth area traffic blows and the route is extremely short on scenery until you get in the New Mexico mountains and northwards into Colorado.

I don't want to hurt any feelings, but you can't even make it pretty if you squint hard.  I also don't think there is anything to do in Amarillo except throw rocks at lot lizards.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Along with the canyon, the American Quarter Horse museum and the Texas Air & Space museum are both nice stops.  I always liked Amarillo. Nice folks up that way. It's just too dadgum far from the Gulf of Mexico for me to live there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 12:11:23 PM EDT
[#15]
You can always stop at Pantex and pick up some surplus items. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top