Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2017 12:39:36 PM EDT
So what is keeping the areas just south of Dallas from developing? Beyond the obvious and likely permanent shithole surrounding 45/75 & 30...Seems the proximity to downtown would make for reasonable commutes, and we all know the housing in northern suburbs has rapidly become expensive for folks with normal jobs.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So what is keeping the areas just south of Dallas from developing? Beyond the obvious and likely permanent shithole surrounding 45/75 & 30...Seems the proximity to downtown would make for reasonable commutes, and we all know the housing in northern suburbs has rapidly become expensive for folks with normal jobs.
View Quote

Because the new jobs are north?
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you notice a lot of Starbucks coffee places and Barnes & Noble Bookstores while you were down here?

Hell I got excited about a new taqueria I found last week that makes fresh tortillas.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 10:23:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Lack of educated work force. Crappy school districts. TOOO... diverse!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The Dallas City Council
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Dallas City Council
View Quote

No.

John Price did it to his own people through his spot on the Commissioner's Court. He was the instrument used by developers around Alliance to kill the intermodal port plans in Southern Dallas County.

Ferris, certain parts of Lancaster and Red Oak have beautiful topgraphy with hills and creeks. Few live there. Wide open fields of cotton that stretch to the horizon. West Plano looked like that in the 1990s. John Price worked his magic to retard any development down there.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
JWP was the rumor that the Lancaster Hutchins road rework took nearly a decade. All that area is set to be warehousing and transportation. Hutchins is the regional fedex ground hub with, I dunno thousands of employees, but what do you have in Hutchins? Whataburger, Dairy Queen, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, and a Subway? Even Bank of America shut down there. Then there's all the warehouses along 45, but almost zero other development.

Our business is in Dallas on 310, it's like an exclusionary zone for gas stations, restaurants, grocery stores, but I just think that's years of shitty neighborhoods with ridiculous crime rates. Plus who wants to be next to the city landfill, of course it's obviously good enough to build a 5 star golf course to host the Byron Nelson. (wtf!?) The old guy next to us was running a resale shop and he finally leased it to a guy who was going to put in a used car lot. Now he's turned it into an "event center" and we spend our time picking up gaming slips and trash. Awesome stuff. Industrial area is one thing, but a crime ridden wart on the ass of society is another.

The other thing they've done is change the flood plains. We're now in a 100 year flood plain. That business opened in 1927 and to my knowledge, with all the flooding in that area, it's never actually flooded the main business, while a lot of other stuff has. Everyone around me is terraforming raising their property about 2ft. All it does is push more water on me, and you just can't tear down and rebuild a million dollars worth of structure, it doesn't make sense for that part of town. But there's lots of politics at play. I have no doubt that every decision made south of I30 is directed towards funneling money and business towards selected parties.

Like taking out dead man's curve? Ok, that needed to be fixed, by why not demo maybe 10 shitty houses, straighten it out? Instead, we condemn/buy a huge track of property to dump 175 onto an already overloaded I45. A huge monetary investment! And in the mean time, tear out the old overpasses of SM Wright and make it a street level Boulevard with stop lights, causing more traffic congestion. Tons of folks from the SE use that thoroughfare to access downtown, Baylor and Deep Ellum areas.  

Money money money... follow it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Once upon a time, Oak Cliff was Highland Park before Highland Park was Highland Park. There was also a country club down der..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top