Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2017 3:57:35 PM EDT
Just got the news that the company I work for in Houston is downsizing because of the low oil market. I would Really appreciate it if anyone knew of anyone hiring Drafter positions or Facility jobs.
I have around 4 years experience designing and drafting. I also don't mind manual labor. I just want to keep food on the table. Thanks in advanced for any leads or good thoughts.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 5:29:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I will keep my ear to the ground. Know several in the business. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
My sister has been doing CAD work in Houston for 25+ years

I'll send her a msg to see if she can help

She texted back that she was looking earlier today and could only find 6 available positions for the current thousands of unemployed CAD people in Houston

She seriously suggested that you may have to look to DFW or Waco
With Gov GoodHair as our Energy Secretary now, maybe he'll order more Texas crude and less Saudi
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:22:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for all the suggestions, The job markets is thin here.  I wouldn't mind moving to Waco. But I can't find any job there either.

I do have experience in electrical drafting also if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:36:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you know REVIT? I'm looking for someone in San Antonio (preferably) or possibly Austin. REVIT is a must though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out www.SWDS.com.  They are a headhunter in Houston.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:29:14 AM EDT
[#6]
You might try some of the local residential and commercial high end audio-video dealers. The ones that do it right have system designs drawn out prior to the mechanical installation. Easy work for somebody with a cad background. Get a contract with a work description as some employers are liars and don't care about their rep within the industry. I doubt you want to pull wire in a 120°+ job site in full safety wear.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would Really appreciate it if anyone knew of anyone hiring Drafter positions or Facility jobs.
View Quote

PM Sent
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 3:06:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you know REVIT? I'm looking for someone in San Antonio (preferably) or possibly Austin. REVIT is a must though.
View Quote

I know Some REVIT, just not as familiar with it as auto cad.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Email sent.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:13:01 PM EDT
[#10]
You have any Civil3d experience?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Anytime a person says "I don't mind manual labor," you are in fact saying "I will do manual labor as a last resort."  At least that is what it sounds like to the interviewer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top