Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 12:21:40 PM EDT
Hello all, i am about to buy a pool table. Only brands i have heard of are brunswick and olhausen. We were looking at the Brunswick Allenton. I am worried it might be a chinese made table. That might be ok, i dont know enough about them.

I have a budget of about 3-4k.

Im not sure if i should be looking at other brands or if the Allenton is a good table.

I would hate to spend 3 grand on a "decent" table if i can get a great one for the same price or a little more.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
There used to be a place on Montgomery.
Ft. Worth billiards, I think.

Sorry, been 12 years since I moved.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There used to be a place on Montgomery.
Ft. Worth billiards, I think.

Sorry, been 12 years since I moved.
View Quote

Still there! Havebt been in there though, but it looks nice from the road.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think you'll go wrong with a Brunswick. They used to be the standard for serious players.
I haven't been around the industry for at least 10 years though, so I'm not up to date on the latest.

As far as other brands go, Diamond, Vitalie, Olhausen, and Connelly are other good names.
In each line one usually finds a table for serious players and then the rest are furniture tables for looks but are basically the
same underneath where it counts. An experienced table mechanic can make all the difference in the world during setup.

I notice that this model is available as a 7' and 8'. Which size are you getting? There are actually two sizes of 8' -- 44"x88" and 46"x92".
I would advise Simonis 860 for the cloth and beeswax in the seams between the slate pieces for any brand or style. It looks like it
is 1" slate - I wouldn't get too concerned on where the slate came from though I haven't played on China or India slate.

Lighting is key to truly enjoying your play on the table. I recommend a setup that has at least four 8' fluorescent bulbs. My setup
has six. You can pick the color of light (3000 k, 4000 k, 6500 k) to suit your tastes, but I would avoid bulb-style lighting. If you have your
heart set on a hanging light that uses bulbs, make sure that the one or two bulbs in the middle use a lower wattage. For example, in a
3-light setup, go with 100-60-100 wattage bulbs. For a 4-bulb setup, use 100-60-60-100 to lessen shadows and avoid hot spots.

Needless to say, there are so many factors to consider, such as skill level and how the table will be used, that will influence other choices.
You do not want one set up too difficult for casual play because it will become frustrating and not be enjoyable to you or your friends.
I mention this because your mechanic may give you some choices, so listen to what they have to say.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't think you'll go wrong with a Brunswick. They used to be the standard for serious players.
I haven't been around the industry for at least 10 years though, so I'm not up to date on the latest.

As far as other brands go, Diamond, Vitalie, Olhausen, and Connelly are other good names.
In each line one usually finds a table for serious players and then the rest are furniture tables for looks but are basically the
same underneath where it counts. An experienced table mechanic can make all the difference in the world during setup.

I notice that this model is available as a 7' and 8'. Which size are you getting? There are actually two sizes of 8' -- 44"x88" and 46"x92".
I would advise Simonis 860 for the cloth and beeswax in the seams between the slate pieces for any brand or style. It looks like it
is 1" slate - I wouldn't get too concerned on where the slate came from though I haven't played on China or India slate.

Lighting is key to truly enjoying your play on the table. I recommend a setup that has at least four 8' fluorescent bulbs. My setup
has six. You can pick the color of light (3000 k, 4000 k, 6500 k) to suit your tastes, but I would avoid bulb-style lighting. If you have your
heart set on a hanging light that uses bulbs, make sure that the one or two bulbs in the middle use a lower wattage. For example, in a
3-light setup, go with 100-60-100 wattage bulbs. For a 4-bulb setup, use 100-60-60-100 to lessen shadows and avoid hot spots.

Needless to say, there are so many factors to consider, such as skill level and how the table will be used, that will influence other choices.
You do not want one set up too difficult for casual play because it will become frustrating and not be enjoyable to you or your friends.
I mention this because your mechanic may give you some choices, so listen to what they have to say.
View Quote
Thanks for the replies! Found a place in Dallas and ended up getting a pool table, shuffle board table and all the extras for about 5 grand. They are being delivered and installed tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
soooo, when is the ARFCom 9-ball challenge?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
HMMMMMMMMM
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#7]
my buddy is the CFO of a gaming table manufacturer around Trophy Club... would you like to get in touch with his company?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
HMMMMMMMMM
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
HMMMMMMMMM
I have some friends coming over for a Crawfish boil and pool tournament Saturday! If youre actually interested in stopping by, shoot me an IM.

Tables getting delivered and installed today! I am so excited! Will post pics later.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
my buddy is the CFO of a gaming table manufacturer around Trophy Club... would you like to get in touch with his company?
View Quote
I would have but was impatient and already ordered one. Thank you for the offer though!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 5:33:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hello all, i am about to buy a pool table. Only brands i have heard of are brunswick and olhausen. We were looking at the Brunswick Allenton. I am worried it might be a chinese made table. That might be ok, i dont know enough about them.

I have a budget of about 3-4k.

Im not sure if i should be looking at other brands or if the Allenton is a good table.

I would hate to spend 3 grand on a "decent" table if i can get a great one for the same price or a little more.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
View Quote

buy used
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 12:48:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

buy used
View Quote
Do You know how I know you didnt read the whole thread?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Do You know how I know you didnt read the whole thread?
View Quote
Because you already purchased one new?
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 6:36:36 PM EDT
[#15]
That is a beautiful table though.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 7:17:38 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a beautiful table and set-up. I was going to warn you to make sure you leave 4' around the table, but you've got the space covered. Congrats on the great new table!
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 1:55:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks yall! I am very pleased with how everything turned out. I was worried we would be cramped with the shuffleboard table, but there is plenty of room. Next i need to do something about the foosball table!
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Now you just need to host a little get together to break in all your new equipment.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top