Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2017 8:19:22 PM EDT
Heading to Austin for a few days on work, looking for a can't miss spot for evening bbq and beer.  Won't have time to stand in line at Franklin's during the day.

Any other can't miss spots near Round Rock?
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:10:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Heading to Austin for a few days on work, looking for a can't miss spot for evening bbq and beer.  Won't have time to stand in line at Franklin's during the day.

View Quote

There's the second location of salt lick in round rock off 79.  not much of a wait and you can do the all you can eat to try everything.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's the second location of salt lick in round rock off 79.  not much of a wait and you can do the all you can eat to try everything.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salt Lick?

Read the following article.
http://jesspryles.com/guide-to-austin-bbq/
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Salt Lick?

View Quote

of course with any central texas bbq thread, you'll get a lot of opinions.  i was recommending something close that some consider decent bbq.  of course there's franklins, stiles switch, la bbq, snows... but those are neither close nor quick.

if you have time, taylor is only about 20 from round rock with some decent bbq without much of a wait.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Head out to Taylor, under 30 minutes or less east of RR, Louis Muellar is the biggie, but on the high side cost wise.  Taylor Cafe under the bridge, owned run by a WWII vet since 1948, he is there every day.  Also Davis BBQ on the south side.  All mentioned in the top 50 by Texas Monthly/
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 11:57:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Other than Franklins, check out "Stiles Switch". There shouldn't be a bad long line and it's great BBQ IMO. They serve beer as well
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

of course with any central texas bbq thread, you'll get a lot of opinions.  i was recommending something close that some consider decent bbq.  of course there's franklins, stiles switch, la bbq, snows... but those are neither close nor quick.

if you have time, taylor is only about 20 from round rock with some decent bbq without much of a wait.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Salt Lick?

Fair enough.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:00:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Other than Franklins, check out "Stiles Switch". There shouldn't be a bad long line and it's great BBQ IMO. They serve beer as well
View Quote

Ate lunch at Stiles Switch today, brisket and ribs were really good, maybe 5-10 line.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Salt Lick?

View Quote

Second the opinion on Salk Lick...

That article sums it up pretty well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 9:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I usually hit up County Line ("on the lake" location) when doing BBQ. I'm a big fan of the lean-cut brisket, but my father has done one of the 7-meat combo's and reported it was all good.

If you feel like some tex-mex, Habanero Mexican Cafe is awesome. Very much a hole-in-the-wall place (half the wait staff doesn't speak English), but oh my is the food good.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 10:07:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Drive an hour west and eat at Coopers in Llano?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Head out to Taylor, under 30 minutes or less east of RR, Louis Muellar is the biggie, but on the high side cost wise.  Taylor Cafe under the bridge, owned run by a WWII vet since 1948, he is there every day.  Also Davis BBQ on the south side.  All mentioned in the top 50 by Texas Monthly/
View Quote

I read somewhere that Taylor Cafe was closing, are they still open?
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Don't do this OP.
If you drive to Llano, drive 15 miles North.

Cherokee, Southside bar-b-q.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:37:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't do this OP.
If you drive to Llano, drive 15 miles North.

Cherokee, Southside bar-b-q.
View Quote

This. X87
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:28:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read somewhere that Taylor Cafe was closing, are they still open?
View Quote

Far as I know they are open, something would be on the community pages if they did.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 3:31:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

If you feel like some tex-mex, Habanero Mexican Cafe is awesome. Very much a hole-in-the-wall place (half the wait staff doesn't speak English), but oh my is the food good.
View Quote

Bring cash if you go to Habanero
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:47:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.  Louis Mueller is the best I've had.  Don't skip the beef short ribs.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

This. X87
View Quote
Coopers BBQ is garbage.  The cobbler is good though.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 2:29:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bump for Louie Mueller in Taylor. Beef rib and brisket is where it's at.  

Taylor Cafe is still open.  Vencil Mares, owner and combat vet is there every single day and still holds court.  Loves to talk about the past.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#19]
The answer you seek is Stiles Switch.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The answer you seek is Stiles Switch.
View Quote

It was really good, had some burnt ends with some slices and ribs. Good sides too
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 3:00:59 AM EDT
[#21]
If you insist on being in/near Round Rock, Big Cat BBQ in Cedar Park is decent.  Apparently they were a competition team that decided to open a storefront.  Might wanna go a little early as they tend to run out of meat towards the end of the night.  Went there last week and they were out of pork ribs and pulled pork.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
It has been some time since I've been to Cooper's in Llano.  I used to eat there all the time when we had our hunting lease near Melvin (NW of Brady) and it was great.  Cabrito was among the best I've had.

I ate at the Cooper's in Junction two months ago and it was absolutely TERRIBLE!  The brisket was some of the worst I've had . . . tough, fatty and under cooked.  I sure hope the old Llano place is still good.  Drove right by there after closing time . . . Big Bend via Junction/Mason/Llano/Burnet.

I just can't bring myself to try the downtown Austin location.  Cooper's and yuppyville just don't go together!  What the hell are they thinking?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 4:14:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Of course, the last time I ate at Cooper's in Llano was during the mid-80s.  A lot can change in that amount of time and based on the other comments above, I trust they are no longer worthy.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#24]
I know I'm late to the party but I came here to say Stiles Switch, and bring your wallet, but it's really worth it
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:29:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It has been some time since I've been to Cooper's in Llano.  I used to eat there all the time when we had our hunting lease near Melvin (NW of Brady) and it was great.  Cabrito was among the best I've had.

I ate at the Cooper's in Junction two months ago and it was absolutely TERRIBLE!  The brisket was some of the worst I've had . . . tough, fatty and under cooked.  I sure hope the old Llano place is still good.  Drove right by there after closing time . . . Big Bend via Junction/Mason/Llano/Burnet.

I just can't bring myself to try the downtown Austin location.  Cooper's and yuppyville just don't go together!  What the hell are they thinking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've been to the Cooper's downtown Austin location twice, the second time my boss paid.  I won't go there again if I have to pay.  I know BBQ isn't cheap but it was ridiculously expensive.  Their brisket was more like big hunks of pot roast with a ton of fat on it.  I don't know if they will trim it before weighing it if you ask but I'd say up to a third of it was fat.  Overall I left feeling that I did not nearly get my money's worth.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:46:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Of course, the last time I ate at Cooper's in Llano was during the mid-80s.  A lot can change in that amount of time and based on the other comments above, I trust they are no longer worthy.
View Quote
i

I like Coopers. It's good barbecue. I've had LA Barbecue, too. I also like Black's barbecue.

At a certain level, barbecue is just good and the rest is personal preference.

Just avoid Bill Miller. That is garbage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top