Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2017 11:57:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Will someone please run against Sid Miller next election?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:45:08 AM EDT
[#2]
This has "unintended consequences" painted all over it. I hope somebody with some sense will put a stop to this before it starts.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:06:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Can they not use a M-44 on hogs instead?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that's a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Trapping is the only effective way to control a feral hog population. Hunting is ineffective in controlling populations over time. Coupled with greedy landowners who want people to pay to hunt their vermin problem.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:57:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trapping is the only effective way to control a feral hog population. Hunting is ineffective in controlling populations over time. Coupled with greedy landowners who want people to pay to hunt their vermin problem.
View Quote

Some of its greed some of its because the average human is a asshole and does dumb shit on people's land.  This will keep a land owner from allowing just anyone to show up and hunt a hog.

The trapping can get a large number of them but honestly it needs to be a combination of items to knock them down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That didn't take long.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Make you a deal.

You start making the payments on the hunting and ranch land I bought, and I'll let you make the rules.

Otherwise, all your comments says to me is that you don't understand the concept of private property and a landowner's prerogative for use.

I pay taxes, mortgage, insurance, equipment, fences, fuel, and tools to keep my place in good shape for hunting and recreation... are you so naive to think that I do all that just so I can let strangers or acquaintances just waltz in and shoot whatever they want to their heart's content?

Water and women--these are two things that you can get mostly for free if you're willing to work hard and ask politely.

Everything else, be prepared to pay. When it involves the real property under my control, you can be damn certain that you're going to pay your part, and that doesn't make me greedy--it means I'm smarter than the average bear and I won't be taken advantage of.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Coupled with greedy landowners who want people to pay to hunt their vermin problem.
View Quote

Suppy/Demand, How Does It Work?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#10]
So does anyone have any useful comments other than the short dick pissing contest?

I don't want to eat a poisoned hog.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Make you a deal.

You start making the payments on the hunting and ranch land I bought, and I'll let you make the rules.

Otherwise, all your comments says to me is that you don't understand the concept of private property and a landowner's prerogative for use.

I pay taxes, mortgage, insurance, equipment, fences, fuel, and tools to keep my place in good shape for hunting and recreation... are you so naive to think that I do all that just so I can let strangers or acquaintances just waltz in and shoot whatever they want to their heart's content?
Water and women--these are two things that you can get mostly for free if you're willing to work hard and ask politely.

Everything else, be prepared to pay. When it involves the real property under my control, you can be damn certain that you're going to pay your part, and that doesn't make me greedy--it means I'm smarter than the average bear and I won't be taken advantage of.
View Quote

Problem for a mindset like that is a landowner creates a wild hog refuge. Maybe the landowner likes having hogs have run of the property. The effective and proven way to get rid of hogs is to trap them. Effective trapping protocols will remove nearly all the hogs over time. Hunting is just pecking away at them. Which is how some like it. Having a hog problem on your property is not something to be proud of. It is a scarlet letter of shame.

I understand the concept of "my land, my rules". When I hear and read that someone is over run with hogs on their property or offers prime hog hunts, I immediately wonder what went wrong with their land management practices. Like rats or flies infesting a restaurant, feral hogs running the show on a rural piece of land usually means the landowner is incompetent. Hog infestation is a human caused event.

A landowner with a hog problem will never have a good deer population, a good set of stock tanks to fish from or good flyway habitat for migratory bird hunting.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#12]
N.m. Not worth it
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So does anyone have any useful comments other than the short dick pissing contest?

I don't want to eat a poisoned hog.
View Quote

The stuff apparently turns the meat blue.  That's how you tell.

I really don't see the reason for all the hysteria. It's the same stuff they poison rats and prairie dog towns with and you don't see buzzards falling out of the sky now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:23:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
OK...I understand hogs are overpopulated and affecting agriculture, but introducing pesticide into environment is a wrong approach.
 I feel hog problems affect only owners who are in the agriculture business (I might be wrong).  If so, then they are ones need to find ways to curb the problem, not the state of Texas.
 Looks like a special interest group is lobbying to Miller.
View Quote

It's easy for someone to think it's the land owners only that have a issue.   What you may not know is that there are some areas in the country that the natural wildlife has been forced out because of the hogs and some smaller bodies of water become contaminated with their waste.  This is the same water people use at parks to swim and fish in and can ultimately work it's way into the drinking supply.

Pesticides are used very successfully today to maintain the amount of food the world has access to.  Without modern pesticides the world would be in a "world of hurt" and we would have major food shortages.  

The problem is trying to determine the Pro vs con of a project without people using a uneducated argument against or for something.  DDT is a goood example of a good product no longer used.  More people have been hurt because of it being banned then were hurt from it being used.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Some of its greed some of its because the average human is a asshole and does dumb shit on people's land.  This will keep a land owner from allowing just anyone to show up and hunt a hog.

The trapping can get a large number of them but honestly it needs to be a combination of items to knock them down.
View Quote

And there's the meat and potatoes of the matter. I've got access to family land and it's almost 100% off limits to anyone but family and the guy that leases it to keep his cattle there part time.

In the last decade or so I've been invited to friends leases out of season to shoot guns and bullshit around and to others private property to do the same. I've been invited back to the leases for campouts and have been given permission back onto the private property anytime I want, even so far as to be told where the keys are and not to bother calling if I want to go out there(I would never show up without calling and talking to the person first, but I've been told I could.)

Of those times, most people that were invited out for the first time never got a second invite and a few were told not to come back. The number of people that lose their fucking minds as soon as they are out of city limits and on someone else's place is amazing. They think it's their own personal place to go scorched earth mad max style.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:20:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Dallas City Council approved a city wide trapping program yesterday:

http://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/02/22/texas-approves-poison-cause-hog-apocalypse-dallas-begs-differ

The same trapping company runs a set of traps in the Pleasant Grove area on city owned property in a pilot program. Since mid-December off just one trap they have pulled out over 4-5 dozen hogs. One night they caught 33 pigs with one drop of the door.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Phuq this idea in the rump.

How will they limit it to only hogs eating it?  I know they say what they want you to hear, but warafin  does not discriminate.

Put a bounty on them and lets run that program a few years and see where we are.

"Miller described how the hogs would be lured to special feeders with 16-pound lids that deer and other wildlife wouldn’t be able to open."

Has any one seen one of these feeders?
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 10:20:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Coupled with greedy landowners who want people to pay to hunt their vermin problem.
View Quote

Why dont you go spend several hundred thousand or even millions on some land and see if you will want to let every swinging dick come out and hunt stuff for free on your place.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why dont you go spend several hundred thousand or even millions on some land and see if you will want to let every swinging dick come out and hunt stuff for free on your place.
View Quote

I think you mean "spend millions on some land, let it get overrun with feral hogs, salt cedar, mesquite and johnson grass." Head out to a property with a "feral hog problem" and the landowner is a first rate idiot.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ding Ding!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Look...you either have a hog infestation problem or you don't. If you do and really want the damages to be mitigated or reduced - getting a 'liability release/affidavit of financial ability to pay for damages incurred' is not rocket surgery. 

Sans that, if you have a hog problem, it appears you appreciate the hog population - as you see it as a profit center. 

Hiding behind the 'Oh tEh noEs! Hunters will shoot my beeves and tear mah place up' excuse is vapid at best...disingenuous and profit-centric at worst. 

You can do whatever you want with your private property...just don't piss on my head and tell me it's raining. 
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:28:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm wondering if a chemical company lobby had anything to do with the decision.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:43:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Landowners I know typically fall into two categories. Those who actually farm and ranch for a living hate the hogs. Those who don't and just bought the place for recreation don't mind them and enjoy the hunting opportunity they provide.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:25:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about you run? You're idea and all that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:30:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

How about you run? You're idea and all that.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks  like a judge put a hold up on it......

http://www.twcnews.com/tx/austin/news/2017/03/3/judge-issues-temporary-restraining-order-using-rat-poison-on-feral-hogs-.html

A little better read
http://www.texasalloutdoors.com/Outdoor-General/274288/judge-approves-temporary-restraining-order-against-tdaapproved-pig-poison

edit.....read a little further down and Sid replied to this...saying judge just removed restrictions.....
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:02:41 PM EDT
[#29]
http://texasfarmbureau.org/kaput-manufacturer-pulls-product-texas/

Product pulled out of Texas.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Good.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 3:10:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good.
Yep
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Louisiana was going through the same thing recently until they realized it could harm their state's bear population:

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/louisiana/articles/2017-04-19/wild-hogs-poison-halted-due-to-concerns-over-black-bear
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Hogs kill isis

Let's ship some more over......
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 8:50:08 AM EDT
[#34]
I gave one lead poisoning yesterday
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:03:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
Annnd,

FSA "hunter" version chimes in.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 5:13:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Suppy/Demand, How Does It Work?
View Quote
This.,..

I just can't figure out how there is the amount of demand to justify the prices that hog and deer leases are.  They're so expensive that hunting around here is pretty much only a rich man's sport.  Way out of reach from what I can afford.

But if they can get it, I don't blame them for asking for it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Poisin isn't,the problem.  It's the size of the animal and the amount needed
Link Posted: 4/27/2017 10:03:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Would the poison that killed the hog not poison anything that ate the dead hog?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Would the poison that killed the hog not poison anything that ate the dead hog?
View Quote
It will if they get a sufficient dose. Cats die from eating poisoned rats all the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top