Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2017 11:06:59 AM EDT
Looks like I am moving to Texas from Illinois with the entire family.  I have my Illinois CCL.  What do I need to do to obtain my Texas CCL?   I have my Illinois State Police firearms training papers when I was with the PD.  Here in Illinois I only had to complete the second part of the states requirement.  Can I do so before I leave?  Do I have to establish residence for a period of time after the move?  Thanks?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
You only need to move here with the intent to become a resident. At least I think that is the statement with regards to to being a resident. You will have to take a Texas specific LTC class. It was CHL now LTC. What area are you moving to? We can provide you recommendations for where to take the class. I don't know if being former LEO has any effect on the process.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't remember on the former LEO. I would have to ask my dad if he still had to take the class to get his LTC. He also has the special thing where he can carry in all 50 states due to being retired LEO.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, going to be a permanent resident, currently looking at homes in the south eastern area.  I do not know what city as of yet.   What does the class involve?
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Just Texas specific firearm laws related to the LTC. Prohibited places, 30.06 and now 30.07 legal info. And a qualification for the shooting portion. I think it would be really hard to fail the qualification. The class I took was run by former LEOs. No BS or fluff. Same day class and qualification. I think the required classroom time is four hours.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 1:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Cheapest place is Rifle Gear  ---$50 everywhere else is $100 +

I got what I paid for, a $50 piece of paper.

$50 left for 250 rounds of 9mm
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:31:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Avg is $75 w/ in a hundred miles of Houston.

4 - 6 hrs. Stay awake. Get license in about 30 days.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#7]
None of what you have or did makes any difference. https://www.dps.texas.gov/RSD/CHL/faqs/
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:28:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like I am moving to Texas from Illinois with the entire family.  I have my Illinois CCL.  What do I need to do to obtain my Texas CCL?   I have my Illinois State Police firearms training papers when I was with the PD.  Here in Illinois I only had to complete the second part of the states requirement.  Can I do so before I leave?  Do I have to establish residence for a period of time after the move?  Thanks?
View Quote

No residency requirement for a Texas license to carry.  Just take a class, pay the fee to the state and apply online to DPS.

Texas DPS LTC application
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup, going to be a permanent resident, currently looking at homes in the south eastern area.  I do not know what city as of yet.   What does the class involve?
View Quote

Laws related to the use of force
Handgun laws
Non-violent dispute resolution
Handgun safety and Holster use
Safe storage with an emphasis on protecting children
25 question written test

50 round firearm proficiency test
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/chl/legal/reciprocity/illinoisProclamation.pdf

You are good to go to carry on your IL permit until you get the TX one, by the way.  No need to be in a hurry.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I thought that since I will be changing permanent addresses.  The Ill. CCL address no longer valid of residence, I could not carry on my Ill. CCL till I got there, and obtained my Texas one.  Is there a "grace" period?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:34:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought that since I will be changing permanent addresses.  The Ill. CCL address no longer valid of residence, I could not carry on my Ill. CCL till I got there, and obtained my Texas one.  Is there a "grace" period?
View Quote

If your license is valid you can carry on it here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is there a "grace" period?
View Quote

No....I was without for about 40days.
Good thing is you can still carry in your vehicle without a permit.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 1:31:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I just had to go through the process again since I moved to Mississippi for a few years.  Once you know what your address will be and have your DL I would highly recommend completing the online application posted above.  Even in a smaller town in east Texas I had to wait a week to get a fingerprint appointment and two weeks for an opening for a class.  The benefit was as soon as I took the class I went home and scanned my CHL-100 (completing of training certificate) and submitted it online at the DPS RSD website here (select handgun licensing, submit LTC supporting documents):

TxDPS Regulatory Services Division

Usually finger prints take a week or so to process so if you wait and do them after the class you'll be waiting longer.  Since my fingerprints had time to process and my class form was the last thing I needed I had my license in hand under 3 weeks after I submitted the CHL-100.  Everyone else that was in my class hadn't even submitted their online applications so they probably didn't get their licenses for 2-3 weeks after me at the very least.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the wife has eyes on the Corpus Christi area.  How soon can I apply if  I buy my house?  Any problems with this area,  good parts bad parts , crime areas, where to go for CCL?  I do not k now if this applies, I have my cert. from the Illinois State police when I was a LEO.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like the wife has eyes on the Corpus Christi area.  How soon can I apply if  I buy my house?  Any problems with this area,  good parts bad parts , crime areas, where to go for CCL?  I do not k now if this applies, I have my cert. from the Illinois State police when I was a LEO.
View Quote

You can apply for a Texas license now.  A resident of any state can apply for a Texas LTC.  You just have to take a class here in Texas.

Corpus is cool.  You should really see a realtor for the best areas.  Throw out some areas you are considering and we can help you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top